Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Parts Installation: Good, Bad, Ugly?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 05:26 PM
BlindGuyRides

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Good? Bad? Doesn't !after. What have you replaced lately and why?

I replaced the crankset on my huffy parkside for an 'action' crankset (slotted onto the existing square taper bracket,) and a 32t snail chainring. Put the old crank on a mongoose beater that's been lurking in the back for a couple moves. Been trying to get it cleaned up enough to where I won't feel bad handing it off for somebody to beat to hell,decide they like biking. And go get something better.

I would caricterized the swap over process as easy in spite of my poor vision. Hardest part was trying to get the pedals off and on and even then that was more the fiddly nature of getting wrench into slot.

New crankset got a couple laps around the property, which I couldn't do in some spots due to terrain before. I won't call it easy, but I blame me being out of shape instead of the bike ring aimed at easy paved streets.

So,for those of you who have better than big box. Tell !e,what have you swapped out and how's it working out for you?
Old 02-22-21, 06:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3797 Post(s)
Liked 5,796 Times in 2,930 Posts
Good job! Here's more you might enjoy. https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-22-21, 06:39 PM
BlindGuyRides

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Uuugh first time I've been on these boards in over a month. I feel dumb.
Old 02-22-21, 11:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4505 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,804 Posts
I don't generally do a lot of swapping I build up bikes the way I want from the get go at least these days. I did swap wheels on my Phil Wood frame and it was fine. The old wheels were Dura Ace 7400 hand laced with DT Swiss spokes and nipples (or maybe Sapim) and H+Son rims and the new ones are Phil Wood also hand laced but using Phil spokes and nipples and Velocity rims for a MUSA package. Honestly it was more a silly purchase but it is a Phil Wood frame and Phil is known for hubs and spokes so I couldn't not do it. It does really set off the bike and honestly I look at it and swoon every single time.

If there was a bike for the too pretty to ride thread with some polishing and paint touch up (and maybe a different bar that matches the stem better), this could be it but I build bikes to ride not just to look at. The bar is an excellent Nitto unit that has the flattened top section my hands prefer for comfort and the sort of hard anodized grey (or close proximity thereof) color I love but the stem is Cinelli and is polished aluminum silver type color.
Old 02-23-21, 03:45 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, Karate Monkey, Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 651 Posts
Pedals are easier to remove with the Allen on the inside of the spindle and it means you don't need to buy a pedal wrench
Old 02-23-21, 10:32 AM
BlindGuyRides

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Pedals are easier to remove with the Allen on the inside of the spindle and it means you don't need to buy a pedal wrench
Didn't use a pedal wench, used a standard 15mm open face.
Old 02-23-21, 11:20 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, Karate Monkey, Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by BlindGuyRides
Didn't use a pedal wench, used a standard 15mm open face.
I'm glad your pedals had enough room for the wrench