Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Inside of my thighs sore. From something other than cycling.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 05:59 PM
coolio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I consider myself fairly physically fit. Ride at least 3 times a week. if I can't ride, I'll run 2-3 miles. Anyway, last Thursday, I took on a laying mulch project in my back yard. I worked about 1/2 day. I would haul these mulch bags on a wheelbarrow, and hold them between my legs to put them around the trees and areas where I wanted them. If you've ever done pleaides (sp?), that was my form mostly hugging those mulch bags up and down.

I was a little sore on Friday, but I am really sore today and yesterday (saturday). The inside muscles of my thighs must have gotten a heck of a workout. Funny, today I took a short 3 mi ride that wasn't that badk. I can move better on the bike than walking. I walk very gingerly and probably look like a 70 yr old man.

Anybody ever suffer from this? I took care to have good form so as to not make my back sore. No problems there but both inner thighs hurt.
Old 03-28-10, 06:38 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every time you do something different that works different muscles or in different ways you can get sore no matter how fit you are. I knew a woman who was a jogger, went to the gym, she thought she was really fit. She went on a long weekend bike ride (first bike ride), she couldn't walk for a couple of days after that. I also met some avid long distance cyclists who were in pain for days after going skiing for the first time. It's normal.
Old 03-28-10, 08:14 PM
zoodude
Internal gears FTW!

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Reliant, 2010 Schwinn Sporterra NX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep, I had that happen at my sisters wedding. Can go all day on a bike but I was sore after just ten minutes on the dance floor! man that conga is a work out!
Old 03-29-10, 06:50 AM
Torrilin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
's called cross training . Our bodies are really prone to getting fit for the one thing we do, and just letting all our other muscles slack off. So if you bike regularly, you're not getting any impact exercise (strengthens bones), and you're mostly not working on flexibility (strengthens the little stabilizing muscles supporting all your joints). Also not really working on upper body strength or endurance.

This is a lot of why I walk and play around with ballet and old school calisthenics. I'll never be a ballerina, but at least I can grow up to be a little old lady with strong bones and plenty of muscle .
Old 03-29-10, 09:19 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I need to do something about flexibility. Riding a bike creates tension and I can feel that.
Old 03-29-10, 11:17 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I thought you were going to talk about something else...
Old 03-29-10, 11:53 AM
buzzbee

Bikes: 33yr old mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have had that doing a "strength" chore (like planting a tree) and using muscles not normally used. I think it's common, and is called "delayed onset muscle soreness".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed...uscle_soreness
Old 03-29-10, 12:42 PM
KrautFed
cars are fun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I coach and some of the most overlooked workouts in males are on the abductor and adductor. IMO this is what you felt... muscles on inside/outside of your thighs that you never use. Most guys only focus on linear movement workouts... squat, leg curl, leg extension, leg press, etc and forget about the lateral movement workouts. Adductor/abductor doesn't give visible beach muscle results, but it does give performance, stamina, and even posture results.

I've never ran across anyone who didn't take my abductor/adductor challenge and say that they weren't amazed at the results they felt after just a week or two (even the most fit runners/cyclers/soccer players/etc). I tell them to swallow their pride, throw a towel over their crotch, and just do it.
Old 03-29-10, 01:00 PM
coolio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, guys. Feeling better. Getting more range of motion in my walking. Took 2 advil earlier and the pain was almost non existent. I hate to take any kind of medication, though.
Old 03-29-10, 01:22 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,602 Times in 2,356 Posts
yeah, I was reading about how to help my IT Band on the outside of my leg and one thing was to work the opposing side muscles ~ inside the thigh. so I started using the leg machine at the GYM that mostly just women use, where you squees the devide closed between your thighs. after the first few times I experienced some unusual discomfort like what you describe. like a fool I ran 2 miles on 2 consecutive days after not running much all winter and then rode 67 miles the following day. can you say "overtraining"? anyway I think those muscles are used pretty minimally during everyday life so you'll need some time to recover