Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage Gravel Grinders

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage Gravel Grinders

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-21, 10:01 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr

That is awesome! One of the masters...
Old 05-09-21, 03:31 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
70s Motobecane Grand Record

This is likely a '73 Motobecane Grand Record. It has a lot of clearance. I'm running 700 x 35c Schwalbe Marathon Mondiale tires. The gearing is good as well: 50/34 up front and a 14-28 five speed in the back. Thanks to nlerner for the Nervar 631/633 crank with the 50/34 rings. I
I took it for a shake down cruise today which includes some gravel roads. I like how this bike rides over gravel.

The paint on the bike is crackled which happens to some of the early 70s Motobecanes. It's perfect for a gravel grinder:

Last edited by bikemig; 05-09-21 at 03:36 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 11-19-21, 09:54 AM
SpudBoi

Bikes: 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile; 1978 Moto Mirage; 1990 Trek 950; 2020 Scott Spark 910

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Question for you all that like to use vintage C&V for your gravel rides: I'm wondering if you feel like you should size down on the frame if you may be doing a bit more technical riding on your rig? Or do you stick with your road size and go for it? My background is in mountain biking and my MTB bikes have all been smaller frames than my road bike.
Old 11-19-21, 09:59 AM
vicyclist

Bikes: 1997 Trek 2300 & 1991 GT Tachyon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpudBoi
Question for you all that like to use vintage C&V for your gravel rides: I'm wondering if you feel like you should size down on the frame if you may be doing a bit more technical riding on your rig? Or do you stick with your road size and go for it? My background is in mountain biking and my MTB bikes have all been smaller frames than my road bike.
Downsize. I ride a 56 on the road. My gravel bike is a 53. The added clearance has saved me plenty of pain.
Old 11-19-21, 10:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by SpudBoi
I wouldnt downsize if that results in a significantly different fit, like a much shorter top tube. Gravel riding is just road riding on unpaved roads. If a road bike fits- replicate it.
I have to come off my gravel bike mid-rid as frequently as I come off my road bike, which is about never. I guess if you are needing to emergency dismount frequently, a lower top tube height may help?...but maybe a different bike would be best for whatever type of riding you are doing at that point.

ETA- I ride 63-65cm road bikes and my current gravel bike is a 58...but thats because it has a sloping top tube. The stack and reach of my gravel frame is actually almost exactly the same as my main road frame.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 11-19-21 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-19-21, 10:59 AM
vicyclist

Bikes: 1997 Trek 2300 & 1991 GT Tachyon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I wouldnt downsize if that results in a significantly different fit, like a much shorter top tube. Gravel riding is just road riding on unpaved roads. If a road bike fits- replicate it.
I have to come off my gravel bike mid-rid as frequently as I come off my road bike, which is about never. I guess if you are needing to emergency dismount frequently, a lower top tube height may help?...but maybe a different bike would be best for whatever type of riding you are doing at that point.
Rapid dismounts are rare on the road bike, but I find them to be much more frequent on the gravel bike, depending on where I'm riding. On most logging roads, for example, it's not an issue. But around here there are a lot of disused and deteriorating logging roads, not to mention trails of varying quality. I avoid anything "technical", but I still find plenty of times I need a quick dismount, whether it's suddenly swerving off a narrow trail to stop for an oncoming road-hog, coming up on a fallen tree at a blind corner, or losing traction on a 20% grade while riding over sand and golf balls.
Old 11-20-21, 10:54 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Does this count? 1989 Specialized Rock Combo. Since the picture, I've replaced the tires with Schwalbe Land Cruisers for more traction on the loose stuff.

Old 02-03-22, 10:13 AM
zachfromkc

Bikes: Late 80's Univega Arrowpace (Road) ; Early 70's Clara (Gravel Convert)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Ooh I like that pink frame!