Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

need opinion on Ross bikes..

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-08, 04:20 AM
supergymnast
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi There,

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could give me their opinion on two vintage Ross bicycles I'm considering buying on craigslist. One is a Ross Eurotour 3spd for $70. Apparently in great condition and just needs a seat(new york). The other is a really nice looking Ross Europia Touring 10 spd bike with 20" frame, 26" wheel for $75. They are both older bikes which seem to be in great shape. I'm buying a bike to get me around New York City everywhere I go(just quit smoking, repacing the smokes with a bike!)

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which bike is better for the money, or any info/advice you may have on these bikes.

Thanks! Alex(supergymnast)

Last edited by supergymnast; 05-18-08 at 04:33 AM. Reason: removed exclamatory profanity after reading the forum guidelines.
Old 05-18-08, 04:30 AM
supergymnast
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I allowed to post craigslist links on this forum so you guys can refer to the bikes I'm talking about?
Old 05-18-08, 04:31 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome!

Yes, please post the links so we can see them!
Old 05-18-08, 08:01 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I ride a Ross eurotour 5 speed everyday It is my goto bike If it holds up to me 5'11"#305 it should do fine for an average size person some of the ross bikes freewheel in the crank instead of the rear wheel
Roy
Old 05-18-08, 09:12 AM
borgagain
Oldtimer

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh LTD, 1985 Cannondale SR300 (2), 1986 ROSS Eurotour, 1991 Giant Sedona MTB, 1992 Trek Antelope MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Neither one of the ROSS bikes you mention are particularly high quality. I have some information about the 10-speed version of the Eurotour here. Both bikes will have a sturdy lugged frame made from lower quality steel tubing which may or may not be tempered. The components will be adequate but lower quality. Both bikes will be heavy.

BTW, hardening and tempering low carbon or mild steel has little or no effect.

I would consider $30 to $40 to be a good price for either bike if they are in good condition and they really suit your needs.
Old 05-18-08, 09:55 AM
supergymnast
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pics of bikes in quesion

Thanks to everyone for your input so far... Here are the ads/pics of the bikes I'm asking about:

Ross Eurotour: https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/spo/681191454.html

Ross Europia: https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/bik/684892287.html

I know these bikes are heavy, was mainly curious if they are made well, even for low end models. The streets of Manhattan can get rough. $30-$40? That's gonna be tough, considering cost of living here and that many sellers just put $60 and up into replacing tires, brakes, tuning up etc. I'm offering $50 for each one, don't wanna spend any more than that, just wanna a reliable bike I can work on myself when necessary... we'll see what happens. I'm new to the bike world, so i'm very appreciative of the knowledge and experience you all offer. Please keep i coming if you think of anything tha will help. Thank you! Alex
Old 05-18-08, 09:59 AM
supergymnast
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
eurotour

I really love that 10 spd eurotour that you linked to pics. I think it's a handsome bicycle. I can't believe you think it's only worth $30-$40!
Old 05-18-08, 10:01 AM
jjvw
MFA

Bikes: 1973 Italvega Nouvo Record; 1965 Hercules; 1982-83 Schwinn Mystery MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are comparable to the entry level Schwinns and Raleighs of the era. They may needs some work, but they ought to hold up just fine on the streets. Personally, I would go for the Eurotour, but I'm a fan of 3-speed city bikes.
Old 05-18-08, 10:09 AM
supergymnast
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hercules

Do you ride your Hercules through the streets of denver?

I'm leaning towards the Eurotour also, and I think it'll clean up nicely..just need a seat now.
Old 05-18-08, 10:35 AM
McDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by supergymnast

I'm leaning towards the Eurotour also, and I think it'll clean up nicely..just need a seat now.
And a seatpost!
Old 05-18-08, 10:38 AM
Mooo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'd go Eurotour, just because the 3 speed hub on the other would be a Sh*m*n* with the cast aluminum bellcrank. I'm not a huge fan of these, but they ought to work just fine.

As far as quality, they aren't fancy, but should be durable. My favorite bike right now is a 66 Hercules - the spitting image of jjvw's. I do ride it wherever/whenever. A disturbingly good bike.
Old 05-18-08, 10:48 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts

i would love to find a eurotour 3 speed locally I am to far to ride to work (in my shape at least) since I have been trying to lose weight I have been riding around town for any trips for anything I can carry on my bike even lawnmower gas I did get a ross mountian bike given to me yesterday I have not got it home yet
Roy
My eurotour
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bike s.JPG (17.1 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by plumberroy; 05-18-08 at 10:49 AM. Reason: can't spell
Old 05-18-08, 10:56 AM
jjvw
MFA

Bikes: 1973 Italvega Nouvo Record; 1965 Hercules; 1982-83 Schwinn Mystery MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Hercules served shared duty as my daily commuter along with my fixed gear for over a year in Chicago. It does just as well in Denver with all its original parts.
Old 05-18-08, 12:35 PM
borgagain
Oldtimer

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh LTD, 1985 Cannondale SR300 (2), 1986 ROSS Eurotour, 1991 Giant Sedona MTB, 1992 Trek Antelope MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really love that 10 spd eurotour that you linked to pics. I think it's a handsome bicycle. I can't believe you think it's only worth $30-$40!
Those of us who own ROSS bikes, tend to get attached to them but the fact is, unless you are talking Signature series, they are all pretty low quality. Because many (not all) ROSS frames are lugged, they hold up well. The components often lack a lot to be desired. Many of the parts were made in the US by companies known for cheap steel parts, like Wald. Other parts are bottom-of-the-line Japanese.

I put about $75 into my Eurotour, because it fit me well, was serving my purposes and I already owned it. If I had to buy one for $50, then put money into it, I'd put the $125 into a better bike that didn't require additional outlay.

It was mentioned earlier that ROSS used Front Freewheeling Systems on their low-end derailer (I like the English spelling) bikes. This is not true of all of them and the budget Europa model had a conventional rear freewheel with a standard 39 - 50 Ashtabula chainwheel. In the final production year, the FFS chainwheels were discontinued on all ROSS bikes. They were cutting costs wherever they could.
Old 05-18-08, 04:41 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
This one's pretty nice and is not a Signature, near as I can figure:
https://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...6&d=1142615866
Shimano 600 arabesque, Ishiwata 024 tubing. As nice, if not nicer, than some of the signatures.

OP, you appear to be in NYC. Bike prices are somewhat inflated there. Many of us live in cities where the prices are lower. Prices seem about right for NYC, although you may want to talk to some locals re: pricing.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

Last edited by Poguemahone; 05-18-08 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 01:53 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
This was my first road bike. It's a 1984 Gran Tour 12 speed. Not top of the line by any means but a very solid comfortable bike. Paid $25.00 at a yard sale last summer.

Old 05-20-08, 10:00 AM
supergymnast
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Still a pretty good deal, I wish there were more yard sales like that in Manhattan. What's the frame size on that Gran Tour? I'm buying a Ross Europa 10 spd today for $70. in very good condition. Have not seen it yet, It has 20" frame and 26" wheels.. I'm 5' 11" tall. Do you think this bike will be tall enough for me.
Old 05-20-08, 11:18 AM
McDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm buying a Ross Europa 10 spd today for $70. in very good condition. Have not seen it yet, It has 20" frame and 26" wheels.. I'm 5' 11" tall. Do you think this bike will be tall enough for me.
No, that bike would fit someone about 5'4" or even a bit less. Your size needs to be about 23" to 24". The blue Gran Tour above is closer to your size, but may be a bit too tall depending on your body proportions.
Old 05-20-08, 12:47 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

yeah, this bike is a 61 cm. It's a bit to big for me and I'm 6'. I did a century on it last year and was very comfortable all day, but I'm alot more comfortable on a 58. I'm considering changing the drivetrain to an indexed system if I get a deal on some parts. This bike is not as heavy as most would think. I did the bathroom scale test and it worked out to about 21 lbs.
Old 05-20-08, 03:25 PM
McDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah those Gran Tours with the Cro-Moly tubing were very nice bikes. I had this one for awhile, but at 5'9" I needed something a bit bigger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
RossGT1b.jpg (91.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-20-08, 03:54 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Yep Mcdave I remember that bike from another thread. Almost identical to mine(except the colors). I know the front crank is not the greatest out there but I like the looks of it. I could'nt ask for a better first road bike. It was good enough to get me hooked. Now I have 3 road bikes and looking for more.