Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How far is to far?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How far is to far?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 11:45 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hairytoes
lol, I've never considered myself a 'best rider' before; thank you.

My weekly mileage is about 250-300. If the OP rides his commute twice a week, that's under 200. He was only contemplating 1-3 times a week, so I think it is doable.
+1
Aint nothing best about my engine. I just ride a lot. Nothing special.
Old 07-25-07, 01:08 PM
ddouglas56

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses. My round trip by car is 74 miles on the interstate, can't ride the bike on the interstate nor do I want to. I would like to ride to work once or twice a week, August - May. Main reasons for wanting to do this is for health, fittness, and to be an example of a healthy life style for my kids. I do have a family- wife, son (soph in college) and triplet sons that are 15 yrs old. Time away from them is a concern.
Thanks for the repeated comments on driving part way, that will help with time and current fittness. Averaging about 100 miles a week the last 3 months.
Old 07-25-07, 01:46 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pity I found this thread after the OP made a "closing" comment. I had recalled when a yound Lon Haldeman had a job in a bike shop in Elgin some 35 miles from his home in harvard, Illinois. A 70 mile round trip is OK for the man who won the first two RAAMs and was dedicating his existance to ultra cycling. I agree with the people who support driving part way. I do whenever the round trip is over 40 miles.
Old 05-24-08, 05:18 AM
samsmeg
Wear a helmet

Bikes: 1975 Dawes Super Galaxy 531 tubes, 1998 Condor Squadra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no ones considered how you will feel when you get to work or how you'll feel during work doing that mileage
Old 05-24-08, 06:07 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
If the goal is to increase fitness and conserve energy, I would think in terms of reducing your driving in other ways. Namely, drive part of the way to work and commute the rest. Or find someone to carpool with who might carry you part of the way. To ride 95 miles each way is way beyond my capabilities (even once a week), and I ride a lot. I bike commute 3-4 days a week, or 70-90 miles on an average week. My total riding averages about 150 miles/week or 600 a month, year round.

It's not just the physical aspects, which are considerable, but the toll on your private life, family, and health. Like others mentioned, regular bike commuters are often pretty worn out after several days of cycling in a row going much shorter distances. However, that is nothing compared to havoc it would create at home by being gone so much. Even if you are a very strong rider, that sort of commute would take at least 12 hours roundtrip, which combined with your workday would leave very little time for eating, sleeping and family activities.

Anyway, have you ever heard the expression "don't let perfect prevent good" or something along those lines? If you drove part of the way and biked the rest, you would still be achieving all of your goals in a much more sustainable manner.
Old 05-24-08, 06:29 AM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by idcruiserman
Get a cot and sleep at work.
+1 Ha haa
Old 05-24-08, 06:31 AM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I was doing 95 miles per day, I would find a way to add 5 more miles to it so I could brag that I did a REAL century ride 2 to 3 times per week - and NOT on the weekend.

If you do that, you will have some real bragging rights, my friend. See you at the Olympics!
Old 05-24-08, 07:14 AM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Wow this is an old thread. I wonder if he ended up trying it? For me, a 62 mile round trip was too much. I got a job closer to home just so I could ride to work. I'd say in this case either a new job or a new home would be something to very seriously consider.
Old 05-24-08, 11:46 AM
AlienDroid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would never ride that far, move closer to work, maybe within 15 miles to give yourself a good workout.

You'll end up falling asleep at work.
Old 05-24-08, 12:04 PM
imartin26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My round trip is 60 miles, I drive 10 miles in and bike 20 miles to work then 20 miles back in the evening and 10 miles commute home by car.
Old 05-24-08, 01:20 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ddouglas56
Looking for guidance and comments for long commute (95 miles round trip), pretty good roads, some rolling hills. 1-3 times per week? Recumbent better choice?
If you can do that 3 times per week, all I can say is I'm inspired! Presuming roads are good, I'd be inclined to go for 1-2 times in decent weather. I don't believe in wussing out, but I'd only think about a commute like this when conditions are good.

On rollers and flats, a highracer is the right tool for the job. You should be able to average over 20mph easily when you aren't fighting headwinds. If you don't do this on a highracer, at least take a racing bike. Have your stuff ready for you at work so you don't have to haul your junk. This is no time to take a 45 lb commuter with panniers.

The problem is work logistics. You need to shower and have a place for your bike. Let us know what you did.
Old 05-24-08, 02:12 PM
Rico_SPD

Bikes: Schwinn Ranger, 26"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And here I worry about biking my 14 mile RT commute. Guess I should just do it. )
Old 05-24-08, 02:44 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lon Haldeman, winner of the first two RAAMs, had a commute like that as a teen (100 miles RT). To and from a job at a bike shop. I doubt he was working a full shift. Consider biking just part of the way.
Old 05-24-08, 03:52 PM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You live to far from work.
Old 05-24-08, 05:41 PM
charly17201

Bikes: RANS Formula LE, Giant Escape 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shavit
oh and stay away from a recumbent on that long of a ride (or at least i would)
As a 'bent rider I can tell you that you do not want to start out doing a commute like this.

That said, if you started out with baby steps 10 mile for a few weeks, then 15, then building it up you could handle the distance. BUT, time will be a large factor. Sure, it is a more comfortable ride. But unless you're will to invest in a high-end ($$$$) bike you'll spend a heck of a lot of time on the bike.
Old 05-24-08, 06:45 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by samsmeg
no ones considered how you will feel when you get to work or how you'll feel during work doing that mileage
Same as you'd normally feel after a 50 mile ride. That would be great.

Originally Posted by charly17201
As a 'bent rider I can tell you that you do not want to start out doing a commute like this.
I'm assuming the OP couldn't possibly be a newbie -- no one who wasn't pretty strong would even consider such a stunt. However, a year has passed so he has made has decision. Hey ddouglas! If you're reading this, what did you do in the end?
Old 05-24-08, 07:16 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lamplight
Wow this is an old thread. I wonder if he ended up trying it? For me, a 62 mile round trip was too much. I got a job closer to home just so I could ride to work. I'd say in this case either a new job or a new home would be something to very seriously consider.
Interesting. I've often thought that if I had a shorter commute, like 5 miles one way, instead of 15, I'd end up taking a very long route home.

Old 05-25-08, 03:27 AM
samsmeg
Wear a helmet

Bikes: 1975 Dawes Super Galaxy 531 tubes, 1998 Condor Squadra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Same as you'd normally feel after a 50 mile ride. That would be great.
I know that but you gonna have to again 6-7 hours later? Have you ever done that and then do the same thing the next day and again and again?
Old 05-25-08, 03:54 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Lets say a 45 mile commute. Best I've done 45 miles in , (should it be flat) is approximately 2 hours. Maybe you are a real racer type. ? Sounds like a pretty long day. Still, if you are up to it? / I'd rather bike it than drive it , should the freeways be clogged with gridlock. With gridlock your bike might only take a hour longer than a car on traffic ridden roads?

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 05-25-08, 05:09 AM
craigdurkee

Bikes: gaint crx 2 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do 71km a day 5 days a week working 830 till 5 most days

I really enjoy it, im a strong rider and i have to say i still find by day 5 im pretty tired

Enjoy though if you can do it
Old 05-25-08, 03:16 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by samsmeg
I know that but you gonna have to again 6-7 hours later? Have you ever done that and then do the same thing the next day and again and again?
5 days a week, no -- that's out of my class. 2-3 days a week in good weather on good roads sounds doable, or it's something I'd at least try to do. It's a long day, but I don't have kids, so having practically no time and being beat at the end of the day is OK. I personally think 20 miles is the optimum commute length. Long enough to stretch your legs. Not so long that it burns your day up.
Old 05-25-08, 05:27 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
Interesting. I've often thought that if I had a shorter commute, like 5 miles one way, instead of 15, I'd end up taking a very long route home.

Maybe it's because I have a physically demanding job or because I bike everywhere, but when I leave work I usually just want to get home. Occasionally I'll add an extra couple of miles to my commute if it's a nice day. And my commute is less than three miles! However, a 15 mile commute wouldn't be too much for me if I loved my job and where I lived.
Old 05-25-08, 08:43 PM
wattly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be looking at electrical assist if I was considering this distance.
Old 05-25-08, 08:55 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I read through this and then discovered it's an old post. Oh well.

"Seriously though, thats a rather long commute. If you work 8 hours a day and start at 8am, you'll need to be on the road at 2:30am to make it to work on time. Then lets say you get off at 4pm, you'll be home by 9pm."
I think that comment is assuming 95 miles each way, or assuming my speed instead of the original posters.

Other issues: No SAG, can't call it quits if you have a super headwind, etc.
Old 05-25-08, 10:20 PM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A friend of mine did a 5 hr return trip, 6 days a week, for just over a year. Starting at 5am, he arrived at work at 7, worked till 5, then got home at 8 (via a longer, more "scenic" route). I don't think it worked out as 95mi return, but it was the same order of magnitude.

So...*some* people can do it. But he is a total nutcase.

>You'd barely have time for sleep. Cycling, eating and working would pretty much consume your whole day.

For my friend, this was sort of the case. Except that when you're very fit, your sleep needs go down, so he was averaging a bit under 5 hours a night.

Maybe you should be asking this in the touring forum

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.