Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Opinions needed: Fuji S 10 2

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-08, 05:54 PM
DMadro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have received a Fuji S 10 S road bike. According to the lady it has been sitting in her house for 25 years since it was last used. The bike is original down to the tires. The serial number shows that it was built in 1978.

Where I need help is in regard to replacing parts. Will replacing the leather saddle and the handlebar tape change the value of the bike? Should I go with the Dia Compe components or consider upgrading if I want to use the bike?

Opinions are greatly appreciated
Old 05-26-08, 06:31 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think it has any "collector value," so changing the saddle and the bar tape shouldn't hurt its value any. On the other hand, it is cromoly, I believe, so the frame is worthy of upgrades.
Old 05-26-08, 06:32 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,093 Times in 640 Posts
If it's a nice leather saddle, taking it off will subtract a few dollars from the value.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with Dia Compe components. Certainly, if you are going to keep it and prefer something else, go right ahead.
Old 05-26-08, 08:35 PM
sunsurfandsand
Bike Nut

Bikes: Trek 400T Elance, Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, Miyata 1000, Electra Townie 7D, Burley tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The S 10 S is one of those bikes that is sort of historically important without being highly prized. It sure is a nice ride, though. Put a Brooks B-17 on it, and wrap the bars in cotton ribbon tape for a classy look and comfortable feel, and don't worry about the collector value. Oh...and tires.
Old 05-26-08, 08:48 PM
GMS 
Bike Dealer since 1972

Bikes: Some of the bikes I've collected: Raleighs ( about 20), Trek ( oldest 1978 770 Columbus tubes), Mercian, Condor, Bob Jackson, Falcon, Holdsworth, Jacques Anquetil, Bianchi, LeMond, Cannondale, Schwinn, Iver Johnson, Dunelt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 29 Posts
If it has a Belt leather saddle I would love to buy it. I have a 74 S10S that needs one to be complete.
PM me if interested.
Old 05-26-08, 08:55 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sunsurfandsand
The S 10 S is one of those bikes that is sort of historically important
Can you explain?
Old 05-26-08, 09:09 PM
robatsu

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I've sort of pledged to not buy "all-original" bikes if I have any intention of regularly riding the bike. Too much anguish over whether I am committing an act of historical desecration by throwing out the old, but original chain, the bar tape, etc. For riders, my approach is to look for something pre *******ized, or just get the raw frame.
Old 05-26-08, 09:29 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,708 Times in 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
Can you explain?
From Sheldon Brown: "The early '70s S-10-S was the first Japanese bike successfully designed for the U.S. market. In the late '70s, the S-10-S was the first mass-produced bike with a 6-speed freewheel."

Neal
Old 05-26-08, 09:47 PM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
From Sheldon Brown: "The early '70s S-10-S was the first Japanese bike successfully designed for the U.S. market. In the late '70s, the S-10-S was the first mass-produced bike with a 6-speed freewheel."

Neal
Well, if Sheldon were still posting here, I'd ask him "Wouldn't that make it an S-12-S?"

Blue "Gotcha" Order

Anyway, thanks Neal!
Old 05-27-08, 01:17 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
S-12-S is what they renamed it after it went to 12 speeds, I think it's just a typo (and even Sheldon made those mistakes once in a while). They are surprisingly smooth riding bikes, even with the slightly overweight Valite tubing and 27" wheels. I'd just upgrade the DC brakes with good new Koolstop pads and new cables in teflon-lined housing. Don't worry about collector value, just ride it.
Old 05-27-08, 02:39 AM
McDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unworthy1
S-12-S is what they renamed it after it went to 12 speeds, I think it's just a typo (and even Sheldon made those mistakes once in a while). They are surprisingly smooth riding bikes, even with the slightly overweight Valite tubing and 27" wheels. I'd just upgrade the DC brakes with good new Koolstop pads and new cables in teflon-lined housing. Don't worry about collector value, just ride it.
Actually they didn't rename it, at least at first, dunno about later. Check this article...
https://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/...cling-1978-05/
Old 05-27-08, 02:57 AM
Blue Order

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
D'OH!

Sheldon was right again!

Old 05-27-08, 01:24 PM
sunsurfandsand
Bike Nut

Bikes: Trek 400T Elance, Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, Miyata 1000, Electra Townie 7D, Burley tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
Can you explain?

While yes, it is true that the S 10 S was the first Japanese bike to really succeed in the US market, its historical importance is that it was the bike that changed American consumers' ideas about Japanese bicycles. When, in 1974, Consumer Reports named the Fuji S 10 S the best value bike, a lot of people were kind of shocked. I had been lusting for a Raleigh International in those days, but after hearing about the Consumer Reports review, I checked into Fuji...which until then I'd never heard of. Until then, I wouldn't have even considered a Japanese bike, because, like most at that time, I had thought they were junk. In 1975, I ended up buying a Fuji "The Ace", which seemed to me at the time to be nicer than the Raleigh.
Old 05-27-08, 05:47 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
Personally, I'd change out whatever parts necessary to make the bicycle right myself. However, I would store the old original parts for a possible "restoration" in the future. You never know when you will have a change of mind or somebody will turn up that just has to have an all-original S-10-S.
Old 05-27-08, 10:33 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
Well shut my mouth! I know I have seen a Fuji labeled as an S 12-S, but this S 10-S LTD. with the Suntour Mighty 6 ( an early Ultra 6?) is still clearly not renamed, so ...I stand corrected... a bit.

Last edited by unworthy1; 05-27-08 at 10:36 PM.