Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Jobs which require a car, but shouldn't?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 08:11 PM
wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You ever find jobs you could apply for and don't because it states you must have a car.

Two jobs lately which really piss me off I am going to apply to one just so they have to look at it and wonder why they can't hire this person. I am thinking about putting down I have a DL and choose to use my bicycle as my vehicle. I have a spotless record and can provide a 39 month upon request.

R2. Applicant must have a valid drivers license and vehicle.
R3. Applicant may be asked on occasion to go out on a service call to perform local network troubleshooting using company provided transportation and tools.

Why must I have a vehicle and it states nothing about insurance.

What makes me mad is only a few companies do this in the Security and Help Desk positions. I could see if it was a delivery job, or something like that which wanted to solely use your car for their own gains. But just to have as a feel good measure or save a few dollars on their own insurance should be against the law.

Anyone face the same problem?

Last edited by wheel; 12-16-08 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 08:22 PM
Scheherezade 
12mph+ commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they don't state "motor vehicle", I'd definitely apply and don't mention yours is a bike unless they ask. It's a vehicle afterall, just not the one they were implying.
Old 12-16-08, 08:30 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Lemme take a shot at this.

1. The DL and vehicle thing: Most employers have a mindset that any potential employees should have a car of their own. A car=dependable transportation=punctual employees.
2. If the company is providing a vehicle w/tools to make service calls, then: the employee must have a DL (and pass a background check to be added) to the insurance that the company pays for on their vehicle.
Old 12-16-08, 08:38 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had a cyclist here apply to a doughnut/coffee shop in the middle of downtown. I think nearly our entire bus service makes a stop right in front of the shop and he lived about 6-12 blocks down the street. They turned him down over the vehicle issue.
Old 12-16-08, 08:53 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well, not for the past 30 years, but yes, early in my career I found stupid employers who saw car ownership as a test of employability.

It may be that I'm an animator/creative artist, so my job description has not required a car lately. But even so, while communting to work by bicycle, I've had a job that had me driving delivery all over L.A., Orange and San Bernadino counties. I've had a job that required me to drive to remote TV and radio transmitters to photograph them. I've had a job carrying parts between two locations of a company on opposite sides of LA airport and did that by bicycle because it was faster than a car.

When questioned I merely indicate that I have a vehicle that will get me reliably to work and back. I save asking them where to park my bike till after I am hired. If they are incredulous, I just smile. I have a 30 year track record of getting to work on time.

On one job there were 4 of us animators. Two rode bicycles and lived far away, over 9 miles. Two drove cars and lived nearby, under a mile from work. Our boss, who rode a bike on weekends was dubious about us bicycle commuters. That is till one day.

He came into my office and asked where my office mate was. My office mate hadn't driven in yet. Then he went into the other office and discovered that only the bicycle commuter had made it in. When he came back to announce that my office mate wouldn't make it in. I quipped that if he wanted his employees to show up, maybe he should only hire bicyclists who live far away. He never brought up the issue again.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 12-16-08 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-16-08, 10:47 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I can understand if you have to carry heavy tools or machines in a service call, otherwise it's silly to require someone to have a car. Also, ask if they are going to cover your costs for driving. I don't remember what the IRS rates are per mile but if they are not going to pay you extra for using your car, don't even think about taking that job.
Old 12-17-08, 08:13 AM
crocodilefundy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the original employer might also be implying that you don't get to use the company vehicle to and from work.

on a side note wouldn't this be blatant discrimination based upon your political views? if they had any question about my reliability they could just call my previous employers... or if i'm just some kid refer them to my prefect attendance in hs and college.
Old 12-17-08, 10:34 AM
Mauriceloridans

Bikes: 1983 Trek 520, early 80's Univega Gran Tourismo, '98 Santana Arriva, '71 Dawes Galaxy, '77 Peugeot UO10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wouldn't this be blatant discrimination based upon your political views?

Political views don't put you into a class protected by law from discrimination.

Last edited by Mauriceloridans; 12-17-08 at 10:35 AM. Reason: left out "you"
Old 12-17-08, 11:18 AM
Foofy
Ha ha HA! Me likey bikey!

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The vehicle thing is one of those don't tell unless asked issues. If they ask if you have a car, say no (if you don't). If they ask if you have a vehicle or reliable transportation, say yes.

Pizza delivery is a job I'll never take, because employees are required to have their own car. You can make really good money at it, but cars need repairs, maintanence, insurance, registration, etc.

I think I would only take a job that required me to have my own car if the job paid really, really well.
Old 12-17-08, 11:44 AM
Tabor

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
1. The DL and vehicle thing: Most employers have a mindset that any potential employees should have a car of their own. A car=dependable transportation=punctual employees.
This is completely illegal in some states. If you are ever turned down for this reason please consult an attorney. I used to hire for a retail establishment in OR and if you even asked about an employee's mode of transportation in an interview you were opening up the company for a lawsuit.
Old 12-17-08, 11:44 AM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We had a cyclist here apply to a doughnut/coffee shop in the middle of downtown. I think nearly our entire bus service makes a stop right in front of the shop and he lived about 6-12 blocks down the street. They turned him down over the vehicle issue.
Wow! For a distance of 6-12 blocks, no car is more reliable than walking.

And I'm surprised that any coffee shop manager has illusions about hiring only among people with cars! So many of the folks who do low wage work like in coffee shops are unwilling or unable to pay for a car.
Old 12-17-08, 01:18 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tabor
This is completely illegal in some states. If you are ever turned down for this reason please consult an attorney. I used to hire for a retail establishment in OR and if you even asked about an employee's mode of transportation in an interview you were opening up the company for a lawsuit.
In most states, employers can refuse to hire you for any reason or for no reason. The exception is that they can't discriminate against "protected classes" including race, gender, marital status and religion.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-17-08, 01:26 PM
TuckertonRR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it just me, or does it seem like its' more blue-collar, or service oriented, or low-wage occupations it seems that *how* you get to work is an issue. I know it's an issue @ my current occupation, but in my previous life, a suit-n-tie wearing downtown office worker, it was almost a non-issue, mostly because 90 % of the people took the bus or train into work.
Old 12-17-08, 01:35 PM
kbabin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just like Tabor. When I managed at one company I was instructed to ask this question of apps.

"We require you to be at work on time. Can you do that?" It was explained to me that it was a type of profiling to ask if they had a car and it was easier to just request they be on time and not ask how they would do it.

Kev
Old 12-17-08, 01:37 PM
Tabor

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
In most states, employers can refuse to hire you for any reason or for no reason. The exception is that they can't discriminate against "protected classes" including race, gender, marital status and religion.
So tell them your religion prevents you from driving. PS - you forgot age.
Old 12-17-08, 01:54 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TuckertonRR
Is it just me, or does it seem like its' more blue-collar, or service oriented, or low-wage occupations it seems that *how* you get to work is an issue. I know it's an issue @ my current occupation, but in my previous life, a suit-n-tie wearing downtown office worker, it was almost a non-issue, mostly because 90 % of the people took the bus or train into work.
Yup....It all depends on whether you take your shower before you go to work or after you get home.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-17-08, 02:30 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the positive end here, our local transit org is moving to a new HQ downtown. The president has stated his intention not to provide parking and encourage all employees to use transit.
Old 12-17-08, 02:42 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Not having a car can send all kinds of messages to a potential employer - the applicant is financially irresponsible and can't get credit/car is repossed, the applicant may not make it to work on time or lacks the flexibility to work varying schedules, the applicant can't operate a vehicle because of multiple DUI's, the applicant lacks the necessary skills to operate a car becuase of phsical or metional issues, etc. I'm not saying it's fair but that's the reality. Jobs are getting more scarce and employers have lots of people to pick from.
Old 12-17-08, 03:02 PM
uke
it's easy if you let it.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Not having a car can send all kinds of messages to a potential employer - the applicant is financially irresponsible and can't get credit/car is repossed, the applicant may not make it to work on time or lacks the flexibility to work varying schedules, the applicant can't operate a vehicle because of multiple DUI's, the applicant lacks the necessary skills to operate a car becuase of phsical or metional issues, etc. I'm not saying it's fair but that's the reality. Jobs are getting more scarce and employers have lots of people to pick from.
+1. Until we become a less car-centric society, these will remain the predominant attitudes people hold toward people who who don't drive.
Old 12-17-08, 03:24 PM
JusticeZero
Rider

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If you are ever asked if you have a car, always always always shoehorn in an explanation, preferably a noble one. "No car, trying to pay off my student loans ahead of schedule/save up the down payment on a house/gave it up for Lent/trying to support the troops/moral reasons/family member was killed by a car and it just didn't seem right/whatever..
Old 12-17-08, 05:02 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
One job I interviewed for they asked it I had a car...the answer was yes, I didn't elaborate that it was an MG and was in a pile of parts in my parents' garage They hired me and I cycled to work for the next 4 years.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 12-17-08, 05:21 PM
mackerel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TuckertonRR
It's not just you.
This topic is a non-issue.
Old 12-17-08, 05:58 PM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Ever ride your bike to a job interview?
Old 12-17-08, 06:01 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
If you don't have a car, then you don't have payments... and if they treat you like crap you have a lot fewer reasons to stick around!
Old 12-17-08, 06:25 PM
TuckertonRR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
One job I interviewed for they asked it I had a car...the answer was yes, I didn't elaborate that it was an MG and was in a pile of parts in my parents' garage They hired me and I cycled to work for the next 4 years.

Aaron
Say; "yes, I have a reliable vehicle"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.