Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheel recommendation for newbie rider

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 10:55 AM
grwoolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought my new bike 1st of July and it has the standard Shimano RS? wheels on it. I understand these are not the best wheels, but they work fine for me and I have not had any issues. I'm 6'1" and about 185 and ride for fitness about 125 miles/wk. I am not looking to compete or care too much about my speed, just want to ride.

I would like to get another set of wheels because I don't have a back up bike (or wheels) and I worry about breaking a spoke or something and being without my bike while it's being fixed. I don't want to spend a bunch of $, really just looking for something reliable, comfortable, and not too heavy. Basically looking for a solid, quality wheel set.

After doing some searches, it seems like the Mavic CXP33's with 32 spoke, 3cross, ultegra would be a good fit for around $250 (also looked at the openpros). Do this seem like a good choice or are there other options I should consider?
Old 10-01-09, 11:00 AM
Ed Holland
8speed DinoSORAs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grwoolf
I bought my new bike 1st of July and it has the standard Shimano RS? wheels on it. I understand these are not the best wheels, but they work fine for me and I have not had any issues. I'm 6'1" and about 185 and ride for fitness about 125 miles/wk. I am not looking to compete or care too much about my speed, just want to ride.

I would like to get another set of wheels because I don't have a back up bike (or wheels) and I worry about breaking a spoke or something and being without my bike while it's being fixed. I don't want to spend a bunch of $, really just looking for something reliable, comfortable, and not too heavy. Basically looking for a solid, quality wheel set.

After doing some searches, it seems like the Mavic CXP33's with 32 spoke, 3cross, ultegra would be a good fit for around $250 (also looked at the openpros). Do this seem like a good choice or are there other options I should consider?
I'd say either is an excellent choice. CXP33 are very tough, but some don't like the weight. Open pro are a sound choice if that bothers you. Beware that if you plan on changing wheels, I'd recommend some tools: a chain whip and cassette lockring tool. Neither should cost you too much, and are well worth having in the long run. Get a handful of spokes the right size, and a key, and you can even take care of them - replacing one spoke is usually easy on a conventional wheel.

Ed
Old 10-01-09, 11:19 AM
iareConfusE
Number One

Bikes: Scott CR1 Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't care too much and just want to ride, just ride the wheels that came with your bike. Sure they're not the lightest wheels and they probably aren't racing wheels, but if you say you don't care, you don't need to waste any more money.

Besides, you're only 185 lbs, which isn't too much. I've got a friend whos about 230 lbs riding my Shimano RS-10 rear wheel right now and its been doing just fine.
Old 10-01-09, 02:29 PM
Bearonabike

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I recommend round ones, the new square experimental wheels have much to be desired.

Seriously, this is why they make tires, tubes and spokes. Take a little time and learn the basics of field repair and enjoy riding.
Old 10-01-09, 02:36 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts

the end.
Old 10-01-09, 03:48 PM
grwoolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I am worrying over nothing. I had done a search on these wheels and saw quite a few posts about people having probems with broken spokes so it makes me nervous about getting stranded or being without my bike.

I guess I'll buy some extra spokes and learn how to fix wheels if that is the best route to go. I used to ride when I was younger and have always maintained my bikes, but have always let a shop true my wheels. Just never learned how and have never broke a spoke.
Old 10-01-09, 03:53 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I am worrying over nothing. I had done a search on these wheels and saw quite a few posts about people having probems with broken spokes so it makes me nervous about getting stranded or being without my bike.

I guess I'll buy some extra spokes and learn how to fix wheels if that is the best route to go. I used to ride when I was younger and have always maintained my bikes, but have always let a shop true my wheels. Just never learned how and have never broke a spoke.
Old 10-25-09, 03:52 PM
grwoolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I broke a rear spoke today after only about 2,000 miles on these wheels. No bump or pot hole, just a load pop while climbing a small hill (In the saddle, not mashing). I took it to the shop I bought the bike from and they said they are non-standard spokes and will have to order one in and I'll be without my bike for at least 5 days (maybe longer). They also said spokes aren't covered under the new bike warranty, but then said they would cover the labor if I paid for the spoke (I wasn't going to argue over $5).

I guess I should have ordered some backup spokes, but figured the bike shop would carry these. I'm going to buy some new wheels also and make the Shimanos my backups. I just don't trust these wheels and want something with higher spoke counts.

I was lucky this time since I was only 3 miles from home. The wheel was so far out of true after the single spoke popped, it was still rubbing on the brake even with the adjusters all the way out and the little lever flipped. I couldn't have ridden home much further than I did.

So, I'm still thinking Openpros or CXP33's from wheel warehouse. It sounds like these are both good wheels for the $, any recommendations for one vs. the other?
Old 10-25-09, 04:41 PM
Jaeger

Bikes: Rocky Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
32 spoke wheels aren't a bad idea at all. I've broken a spoke and didn't even notice until I got home.

Either the Open pros or CXP33s should be fine.
Old 10-25-09, 08:44 PM
bretthammy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ultegra hub with open pro's should be pretty friggin bomb proof and decent wheels.