Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Stomach discomfort after rides?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 12:33 PM
ricebowl
Bourbon junkie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I frequently see complaints about stomach problems during a ride. But during the ride Im fine it's after the ride that's the problem. After I've been lounging around I feel gassy/bloated and have these frequent rabbit poops. This is after rides of 30 miles or more. Went for a 60 mile ride yesterday I was fine the whole ride get home same problem. So i was fine on the bike during a period when I would've been lounging getting gassy after 30 miles.

Last edited by ricebowl; 09-01-11 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 12:35 PM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you consume any type of specific food, or liquid during the ride? I know that when I am working out nothing tends to bother me much - but I tend to eat before. I can imagine that if you ate something during a ride that the effects of specific foods might be causing the nasty after-effect???

Last edited by Essex; 09-01-11 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 12:37 PM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find I have a similar issue, but slightly different. I usually have to use the bathroom within 5 to 10 minutes of getting home, but after that I am usually good to go for the rest of the day.

What do you eat/drink on the rides? I found in the past, if something was not a good mix of fat/sugar(carb), I would have similar problems to you. Sometimes things are a bit too rich for your stomach, and it's not much of an issue on the bike because your body is devouring it the second it is changed into some sort of useable energy.
Old 09-01-11, 12:39 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I gave up on Gatorade and Powerade because of these same issues. Problem solved.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-01-11, 12:45 PM
ricebowl
Bourbon junkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ahh maybe it's the accelerade? But only the first bottle of the day has accelerade. So way before I start having the problems. I usually eat a mix of granola/energy bars and some fruit snacks. Could it just be my body getting used to the stress?
Old 09-01-11, 01:46 PM
SER71

Bikes: All-City Mr. Pink, Kona Jake CX, Niner ROS9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
I gave up on Gatorade and Powerade because of these same issues. Problem solved.
Same here.
Old 09-01-11, 01:51 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ricebowl
ahh maybe it's the accelerade? But only the first bottle of the day has accelerade. So way before I start having the problems. I usually eat a mix of granola/energy bars and some fruit snacks. Could it just be my body getting used to the stress?
As long as it is consistent, the timing is what matters, not when you drink it. At the risk of digressing, I, uh, do my thing so consistently I could set my watch to it. Monitor what and when you eat/drink stuff and if anything changes.
Old 09-01-11, 02:50 PM
LansingWes

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD13, Motobecane Vent Noir

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
it's after the ride that's the problem.
Are you riding with a stomach full of anger?
Old 09-01-11, 02:54 PM
FactVord

Bikes: 2011 Scott S30, 2012 Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lay off the beans? Not sure about you but I would take beans and gas over yummy/fatty red meat any day.
Old 09-01-11, 03:01 PM
jeebusaurousrex

Bikes: Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Intense exercising can mess up your body's ability to absorb nutrients and water and generally messes with your GI. Common for long distance athletes like marathon runners.

https://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/abd.pain.html
Old 09-01-11, 04:06 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
After I've been lounging around I feel gassy/bloated and have these frequent rabbit poops.
You're not drinking anywhere near enough water. Next ride of 30 miles or more, drink one 750 ml bottle of water every 1 to 1.5 hours while you ride. And you might also drink a glass of water before you go out.

If your ride is particularly hot, take an electrolyte tablet before and halfway through ... but keep the liquid to just water.
Old 09-01-11, 04:15 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeebusaurousrex
Intense exercising can mess up your body's ability to absorb nutrients and water and generally messes with your GI. Common for long distance athletes like marathon runners.

https://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/abd.pain.html
Very interesting. Thanks for posting this...

I'm curious, has anyone tried drinking coconut water during a long bout of exercise? Coconut water is high in electrolytes but low in sugars. The website recommends to avoid hypertonic drinks. I'm wondering if it's the sugars or electrolytes that would cause the GI discomfort (or both).
Old 09-01-11, 04:49 PM
Steve530

Bikes: Klein

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like you're dehydrated.

I use Heed, which is maltodextrin, and I've never had a problem with it. Drinks with sucrose give me cramps. Never tried Accelerade.
Old 09-01-11, 04:53 PM
G4teamG

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Robaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to have this problem, some "energy drinks" gave me the bubble guts. Now I will have a nice big honkin' cup of coffee to, uh, empty out my contents (don't ask, just figure it out), a couple of bottles of Heed for the ride, and half a bagle with peanut butter. I get plenty of energy and stay fully hydrated. Usually drinks with sucrose, fructose give my bowels the shivers...Peace.
Old 09-01-11, 05:00 PM
Mantis Style

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's most likely what you are eating, drinking or not eating or drinking. Yea obvious I know. BUT. If you have rabbit poops, you're probably not drinking enough water. Your body is reabsorbing the water from your, well, crap which is drying it out. The other thing is that what you are drinking on the bike might not have the right balance of electrolytes/sodium/sugar/whatever which may be causing the bloat. I almost always get that bloat issue when I have to pickup a gatorade from a gas station or something on a long ride, but don't dilute it with 1/2 water (happens when I forget to bring enough money on the ride).

I read an article on this recently, but I can't remember who was the nutrition guy for Radioshack or Garmin (I think) to find it. HIs theory (and I'm sure I'm brutalizing it) is that if you take in too much sugar (from sports drinks, gels, etc.), your body has to force water into your gut to balance the levels out. Once the levels are balanced, water can then be absorbed into the body. So, you have water going to your stomach, rather than being used elsewhere where it's needed. Kind of dehydrating yourself to rehydrate yourself. That's why you feel both bloated and thirsty, especially at the end of the ride.

A guy I ride with swears by that Coconut water, but I found it just kinda gross on the ride....
Old 09-01-11, 06:14 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mantis Style
It's most likely what you are eating, drinking or not eating or drinking. Yea obvious I know. BUT. If you have rabbit poops, you're probably not drinking enough water. Your body is reabsorbing the water from your, well, crap which is drying it out. The other thing is that what you are drinking on the bike might not have the right balance of electrolytes/sodium/sugar/whatever which may be causing the bloat. I almost always get that bloat issue when I have to pickup a gatorade from a gas station or something on a long ride, but don't dilute it with 1/2 water (happens when I forget to bring enough money on the ride).

I read an article on this recently, but I can't remember who was the nutrition guy for Radioshack or Garmin (I think) to find it. HIs theory (and I'm sure I'm brutalizing it) is that if you take in too much sugar (from sports drinks, gels, etc.), your body has to force water into your gut to balance the levels out. Once the levels are balanced, water can then be absorbed into the body. So, you have water going to your stomach, rather than being used elsewhere where it's needed. Kind of dehydrating yourself to rehydrate yourself. That's why you feel both bloated and thirsty, especially at the end of the ride.

A guy I ride with swears by that Coconut water, but I found it just kinda gross on the ride....
This is exactly what I was thinking and it makes a lot of sense. The problem with drinks like Gatorade is that the ratio of electrolytes to sugars is heavily skewed. It can screw with the sodium-glucose cotransporters (SGLT).

If you look at the ratio that WHO/UNICEF use for their oral rehydration therapy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy) you can see compared to Gatorade the sodium is much higher.

Fructose can also be an issue as GLUT5 transporters can get saturated on the baso-lateral side of the intestinal wall.

I personally think a good solution for the OP would be a lot of water w/ electrolyte tabs or something like pedialyte that is diluted.

I bet if anyone gets a bloated feeling from Gatorade it would go away if they switched to coconut water.
Old 10-03-11, 11:18 AM
globie

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After getting leg cramps two weeks ago on a 50-miler, I tried drinking a cup of coconut water before a ride each of the last two weekends. No cramps, but I was having to stop to urinate every half hour. It may be the superfood people say it is, but I can do without the frequent stops.
Back to the original topic: I have always attributed that post-ride gassiness to the Clif bar.
Old 10-14-11, 12:20 AM
ricebowl
Bourbon junkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guess it's the accelerade. Bought a few packets of perpetuem. No gassiness or stomach discomfort. Coconut water is expensive!
Old 10-14-11, 01:43 AM
Lowcal
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what you are talking about, It has somthing to do with always being bent over while riding the bike, thats why it happens after you get off the bike. Its like you are compressing your stomach when you ride the bike.
Old 10-14-11, 02:43 AM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guess it's the accelerade. Bought a few packets of perpetuem. No gassiness or stomach discomfort. Coconut water is expensive!
What's Perpetuem?
Old 10-14-11, 10:03 AM
Beau210

Bikes: Orbea Onix TLT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one who has to run to the bathroom five minutes after a long ride lol
Old 10-14-11, 11:03 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by todayilearned
What's Perpetuem?
https://www.hammernutrition.com/produ...-energy-drinks
Old 10-14-11, 12:22 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- L-Carnitine 50 mg

- L-Carnosine 100 mg

- Soy Protein Isolates

- Chromium Polynicotinate.
While I can understand why there ingredients are in this drink they seem severely underdosed and Soy protein is hardly the best protein to use for an endurance drink.

Knowing about the toxic effects of Chromium Polynicotinate I thought many supplement companies removed it a long time ago.

Is there a Hammer Nutrition Rep on these board I can talk to?
Old 10-14-11, 12:29 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I frequently see complaints about stomach problems during a ride. But during the ride Im fine it's after the ride that's the problem. After I've been lounging around I feel gassy/bloated and have these frequent rabbit poops. This is after rides of 30 miles or more. Went for a 60 mile ride yesterday I was fine the whole ride get home same problem. So i was fine on the bike during a period when I would've been lounging getting gassy after 30 miles.
If you are eating anything after you get back, then GI problems can result. When you eat, up to 30 % of blood flow is redirected to the gut to accomplish the digestive process. When this occurs after long and strenous exercise, you have 2 areas in need of blood in increased amounts competing. Muscles trying to recover and the GI tract. This can cause loose stools, and cramps and indeed, can even cause a relative and mild ischemic process to the gut leading to blood loss. Try waiting awhile before eating anything. Hydrate up post ride and if you take in any calories, make them easily absorbed carbs.
Old 10-14-11, 12:42 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've seen reviews of Accelerade on Bonktown where people complain of this very issue. They sell the crap rather often.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.