Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best LBS's in NYC and NNJ

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 08:57 PM
dmitri926

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a shop with friendly people, big selection (important), not overpriced merchendise, and over all, shops with which you had a good experience.

I've been in James vincents at bergenfield ave in fairview NNJ, 3% sales tax bought a bunch of crap for my road bike at retail prices. Overall good experience although i found them to have kind of hasty service.

Also bicycle workshop in tenafly, they do primarily treks, also a nice friendly LBS with typical LBS retail prices...

(edit 7-22-2006)
IN MY ORIGINAL POST I REGRETFULLY BAD MOUTHED A SHOP IN FORT LEE NJ CALLED STRICTLY BIKES,
here's what i have to say now:

I had the KARMA of running into 3 strictly bicycle chronies today when 2 of my wheels simultaenously popped while it was raining (flash flood rains that are hitting north east). I ran over a piece of log or port hole. Anyways they were real surprisingly cool, helped me out through the whole endeavor and even gave me a tube at no charge (i only had 1 spare). Basicaly, i was kinda **** and they changed both my tubes lol

The problem with most LBS's is very LIMITED selection in terms of accessories. I need to buy some stuff: new helmet, a cool graphicy jersey, shorts, some kind of windproof jacket, bike lights, and eventually, a rack with panniers. What's preventing me from buying all that online is that i dont have much experience with any of those things to see what i would like or dislike...

ALSO, does anyone have any experience with these guys, https://www.metrobicycles.com/ im specifically looking 47th street location. Any experiences?

Last edited by dmitri926; 07-22-06 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-21-06, 10:04 PM
njgino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard good things about Cosmic Wheel (https://www.cosmicwheel.com/home.html) in Ridgefield Pk.
Owner John Russo is very helpful.
Old 07-22-06, 03:22 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Piermont Bicycle Connection. Glenn Davgin. 845.365.0900. They also have a shop in Tenafly, NJ.

I've been living in North Jersey/NY Metro for 48 years. I'm up in Orange County now (50 miles NW of the GW Bridge) and I still frequent Glenn's shop in Piermont. Check it out.

https://www.piermontbike.com
Old 07-22-06, 03:48 AM
Lucky07
Ride 365

Bikes: '06 Cannondale Six 13 Pro 2, '05 Specialized Allez Elite, '04 Jamis Satellite, 90's Raleigh M-45 single speed conversion, 80's Fuji Team single speed conversion, 70's Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work in Times Sq & go to Metro on 47th for stuff during lunchtime occasionally. The guys that work there are nice enough, but the Metro chain stores leave something to be desired, in my opinion. If you're looking for or a west side bike shop try Toga. They also have a new store in Nyack: https://togabikes.com/

Personally I've bought all my (new) bikes from Bicycle Habitat on Layfayette, below Houston. It's friendly and chaotic. Some people are turned off by that...
Old 07-22-06, 04:23 AM
EGreen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky07
I work in Times Sq & go to Metro on 47th for stuff during lunchtime occasionally. The guys that work there are nice enough, but the Metro chain stores leave something to be desired, in my opinion. If you're looking for or a west side bike shop try Toga. They also have a new store in Nyack: https://togabikes.com/

Personally I've bought all my (new) bikes from Bicycle Habitat on Layfayette, below Houston. It's friendly and chaotic. Some people are turned off by that...
Toga is pretty cool and fits the OP's requirements, but they can be pricey. Friendliness? I think it often really comes down to the individual that you happen to deal with. Sometimes I've had hugely contrasting experiences at the same shop prior to knowing who to look for and who to avoid. At Gotham, (part of Toga) There is a guy that I want to physically assault on sight due to prior dealings with him, he's such an A-HOLE. Then at the same place there's another guy (Jeremy) who makes the extra effort, such as doing a once over of my bike, making little adjustments, (Bikes, not Gotham/Toga purchased) even if I'm there only to buy rim tape.
Old 07-22-06, 04:48 AM
youm0nt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3% sales tax on bikes?
Old 07-22-06, 06:19 AM
dmitri926

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by youm0nt
3% sales tax on bikes?
Thanks for all the suggestions!! I'm gonna visit a couple today.

Yep, 3% sales tax in hudson county NJ (i think its hudson), its a low income area and they want to encourage business. It includes towns like secaucus, fairview, west ny, jersey city, etc..
Old 07-22-06, 06:25 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Toga guys are good to me, especially José and Chad. The Piermont shop is really nice too, but I haven't been there enough to get to know them well. A hidden gem of a shop is in Tenafly, the "Bicycle Workshop". I'm not certain that they are the shop connected to the Piermont guys, but that aside, I've been there a couple of times and couldn't have asked for better service. For example, I found just the pedals I wanted for my wife's folder there, but on a bike already. They took 'em off and even removed the cage from these pedals for me (it's pretty superfluous and with the folder the narrower profile is good). The same day I also bought some Bzzkills for my roadbike and they installed 'em free of charge (a PITA on my older, tighter bars, no less).
Old 07-22-06, 07:43 AM
brunop
hell's angels h/q e3st ny

Bikes: surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nyc velo on 2nd ave around 3rd st.
Old 07-22-06, 05:22 PM
rknj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Allendale Cycles in (surprise) Allendale, NJ
Piermont and Cosmic Wheel as mentioned above are also good.

Only one I'd avoid is one just off of Rt 17 south, one exit past Route 4.
Old 07-22-06, 09:08 PM
dmitri926

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rknj
Allendale Cycles in (surprise) Allendale, NJ
Piermont and Cosmic Wheel as mentioned above are also good.

Only one I'd avoid is one just off of Rt 17 south, one exit past Route 4.
Thanks all, I'm gonna hit up the piermont one tommorow..
Old 07-22-06, 10:33 PM
zaphodbeeblebro
x

Bikes: inbred, GT, dean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nycvelo - east village, really nice guys