Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Chrome Paint Pen -- I think this may work!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Chrome Paint Pen -- I think this may work!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-23, 07:44 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Might try hearing up the pen with a heat gun/hair dryer before applying. Old RC trick, makes the paint flow better.
Old 03-21-23, 08:03 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,967 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
In fact, I can now tell you that alcohol will take it off of metal very efficiently too.

I got impatient and decided to see if it was still pliable enough that I could press the edges out of it. That made it dull, so I rubbed it down with Maguires. That made it worse, so I decided to clean it up and give it another coat. I used rubbing alcohol as prep, and "poof" bare chrome, blemish and all.
I wonder if it is given some gentle heat if it will cure a bit more.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 03-21-23, 09:07 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Old 03-22-23, 12:02 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Looks like my chrome challenged Ciocc is set to go!
that's what I plan to try my pen on (if it passes the tests): a Ciocc San Cristobal that had all chrome media-blasted away and the plain vanilla powder-coat just did not satisfy
Old 03-22-23, 02:06 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Might try hearing up the pen with a heat gun/hair dryer before applying. Old RC trick, makes the paint flow better.
I can see I’m going to need about half a dozen forks to try all the various techniques that are being suggested in various combinations. I might eventually get this turned into something useful.
Old 03-25-23, 05:19 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
I bought “chrome” spray paint to bling out my toe strap buttons. What a waste. It was just flat silver.

Got this pen today, and honestly I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s as close to chrome as you’re going to find outside of a chrome shop.

Thanks for passing along this discovery, Andy!
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-25-23, 06:22 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I bought one of these pens after reading the OP. They really are nice. I'll get a lot of use out of it. Thanks.
Old 03-31-23, 04:16 PM
Andy_K 

I wanted to share a few updates and encourages others who are trying this to also share their experiences.

I'm still working with the same spot on the fork crown. My second try was decent, but if you looked really closely you could see the difference in texture. A try at smoothing that out with a polishing wheel proved to be too aggressive. In less than a second it rub through to the bare chrome. Since then, I've been trying the various suggestions involving heat, while also experimenting with applying a thick layer of the paint. This seems to be a bad combination. I'm making too many simultaneous changes for a scientific analysis, but it appears that the higher temperature is causing the surface layer of the paint to dry too quickly, creating a semi-hard outer layer before the paint has had a chance to self-level.

I brought the frame into a heated room off of my garage -- about 75 degrees. I tried heating the pen and heating the surface, but either way I'm still getting a lot of visible variation in the surface level, and unlike when I had the bike in the cold garage it isn't smoothing itself out overnight. After the first night, seeing the wavy surface I tried intentionally putting down a lot of extra paint. That left a very wavy surface. After a couple of days I tried wet sanding that to get it smooth. That worked but it lost its shine. I might have been able to bring the shine back with a bit of polishing. That usually works with glossy enamel paint. In this case, a preliminary experiment that I had done earlier didn't seem promising.

At this point I'm going to move the bike back out to the garage and see if another layer on top of what I have will level it out again.

How is it working for everyone else?
Old 03-31-23, 04:45 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclo_girl
Bloody genius. Just ordered one
Nice to see you here at Bike Forums, welcome!

***** ***** has a very nice collection of curated vintage bicycles and parts for sale at her website. I encourage you to take a look.
Old 04-12-23, 02:20 PM
Andy_K 

Another update. I'm still trying to figure out the technique for this. I've used rubbing alcohol to start from scratch several times. After the paint has been sitting for a couple of days, alcohol doesn't wipe it off as easily. On the first attempt, it feels kind of sticky and leaves a bit of residue. A few more sprays and a bit of scrubbing gets it off. I think this is probably telling me something about curing time.

I tried using the pen on a paper surface before applying it to the bike so I wouldn't have any droplets on the pen surface and then attempting to put down a very thin surface. That did leave a thin, smooth surface but the shine and color wasn't even. It looked very streaky (sorry, no pictures). Last night I tried intentionally putting down a couple of big drops of paint (you can do this by pressing down on the pen body while the "point" is on the fork crown) and then using the pen to spread it around. That's kind of what I did the first time around, and the results are very similar.

There's a bit of a drip-like blob in the lower right corner. It was bad last night. This afternoon it's much better. I've got the bike in the workstand with the fork crown sloped down away from this spot, and I'm hoping it's still got enough viscosity left to level itself completely. If not, I honestly might be happy with it the way it is. That's a terribly harsh picture and looks like I applied some kind of digital art effect, but I didn't. That's a fender you're seeing under the fork crown, which gives you a point of reference for the level of flaw exposure here. You can see there are still some tiny air bubble pop spots.

Here's a pic from a different angle that looks much nicer.

That's more representative of the impression I get when I look at the bike. And if you're standing up and just glancing down at the fork crown, it looks more like this.

So, yeah, from three feet with 50+ year-old eyes, it looks absolutely perfect. My rattle can paint job definitely won't be better than that.

Last edited by Andy_K; 04-12-23 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-12-23, 04:53 PM
ntn007us

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
i can tell you first hand that this one is fantastic.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b0...?ie=utf8&psc=1
it's a 5 footer for sure! Maybe even 3 feet if you are over 65! 6 inches after half a bottle of fish eye pino grigio... I have spoken.

lol
Old 04-12-23, 06:56 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Great product.
I have been using for a few years to patch some of my bikes chrome blemishes and other bits like nice dura ace pedals that still work great but got scratched up from contact.
Old 04-12-23, 07:40 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Now they need to make smoke chrome / black chrome variants to match the High Sierra, etc.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 04-12-23, 09:44 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,819 Times in 662 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Now they need to make smoke chrome / black chrome variants to match the High Sierra, etc.

I am in desperate need for a pen like this but with gold. My dad‘s old Colnago Oro flaking pretty bad. Can you imagine the price of gold plating these days.
Old 04-12-23, 10:42 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by joesch
Great product.
I have been using for a few years to patch some of my bikes chrome blemishes and other bits like nice dura ace pedals that still work great but got scratched up from contact.
Got any tips for getting best results?
Old 04-13-23, 06:47 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Got any tips for getting best results?
Clean and dry surface. A brillo pad helps rough up a little for better grip for paint chrome.
Have notrccardr suggestion to heat up, sounds like it may help aswell.
Likes For joesch:
Old 04-13-23, 08:23 AM
zookster 

Bikes: 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento, 1965 Schwinn Racer 3-speed, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 2013 Giant Seek 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I am in desperate need for a pen like this but with gold. My dad‘s old Colnago Oro flaking pretty bad. Can you imagine the price of gold plating these days.
Don't know if it will work as well as the chrome ones mentioned in this thread, but I found this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BP1ZZQCW...lig_dp_it&th=1
Old 04-13-23, 08:33 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I JUST ordered the pen from the OP suggestion.

I have a few chips in my chrome fork and never could find chrome mirror finish.

Thank you. for sharing this GREAT info !!!!!!!

I'll keep all posted.
Old 04-15-23, 09:34 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I've seen this topic pop up a few times on this forum. I can't remember anyone actually being happy with the results, but I decided to try it anyway. I've got a bike with a blemish in the chrome on the fork crown. An attempt to polish it out left a smooth, but ugly spot. The bike needs repainting, and I've been debating whether to leave the ugly fork crown bare (as a tribute to the bike's history), paint it over, or have it re-chromed. There's something to be said for each of these approaches. Having it re-chromed is what I really wanted, but I'm going to try a home paint job on this bike for now, so I thought, why not try a home chrome repair too? So, I shelled out $11 for a generic chrome paint pen from Amazon.

Here's the before pic, showing the damaged area.

My first attempt with the paint pen was to just slap a bunch on there and see how it went. I did this last night, and I went to bed thinking I'd have to clean it off and start over.

But when I woke up this morning, I found that the paint had smoothed itself quite a bit in the drying process. Here it is with no additional work whatsoever since the above picture.

In person, it looks even better than that. I don't see the tiny dots that are all over the crown in this picture. Notice that the brake also shows a few such spots in the picture. In fact, looking down at it from a normal standing position, I think it looks just as good as the other side. I'll give it a few days to cure and then maybe try to polish it a bit. I may even start over to get rid of that edge where I didn't cover the crown entirely. But right now I'm very happy with the results. It's no substitute for new chrome, but as a cheap fix this doesn't look half bad.

I've got another bike with flaking chrome on the chainstays. Expect an update on that some time this summer.
Hey Andy

Did you use a certain technique/application process???

Looks great !!!!!
Old 04-15-23, 05:57 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by bikemike73
Did you use a certain technique/application process???
The best I've done so far is described in this post: https://www.bikeforums.net/22857939-post35.html

I'm still trying to dial it in. The fork crown is challenging because it's a smooth, level surface. I've got another bike with chipped chrome on the chainstay that I think might be easier because it's got an empty area to fill in. Of course, getting it level with the real chrome might be a whole different challenge.
Old 04-15-23, 06:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Any idea what is in the pen? Is there a MSDS sheet?

Originally Posted by nlerner
And how many pens would it take to do an entire bike? I'm thinking that @AdventureManCO might want to consider this option for his Huffy project.
It is possible that the pen has Silver Nitrate in it. It can be sprayed on a large surface, but the videos showing the process indicate a process of spraying the silver nitrate, then washing with water and repeating for several coats.
Old 12-22-23, 06:47 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
Inspired by Andy_K and his chrome paint pen, I decided to spend the $9 and order one on Amazon.

The stays on my recently acquired Merckx were in bad shape. Best I can guess is that the previous owner hung it upside down and moisture clung to it. Not sure.

I used Evaporust gel two times, then hit it with the old crumpled tin foil and water. Prepped with alcohol and a scouring pad, and then gave the pen a try. It's not perfect, but hell, it's way better.

Plan is to let it dry for a couple days, then seal it up with turtle wax. Longer term I'll probably sand it to the bare metal and repeat this process, but with some heat and more care.

Old 12-23-23, 06:06 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
"Inspired by Andy_K and his chrome paint pen........ It's not perfect, but hell, it's way better."

Dang, the difference is Yuge!!! I have a couple of bikes with some spots of rusty chrome that could use this treatment...... Thanks
Likes For sced:
Old 12-23-23, 08:29 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
AndyK or anyone else able to report on the long term performance of this material (paint)?
Old 12-24-23, 02:53 AM
Andy_K 

Unfortunately, I have no long term report. When I repainted the fork that I was working with at the start of this thread, I decided to leave the blemish as it was, having taken the chrome paint off with rubbing alcohol before painting the fork.

I've got another bike in mind that I'll try this with that has flaking chrome on the chainstays. I might even come back to the fork on the Mercian. One of my attempts looked really good. I just didn't leave well enough alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.