Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Clydes and Carbon Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 10:01 PM
DarrinNYC

Bikes: Seven Evergreen // Serotta SS // Calfee Bamboo SS // Spot Rallye SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Clydes and Carbon Bikes

I've heard discussions about us bigger folk (6'4" and 235 pounds in my case) having issues with carbon frames. It's the craziest thing I've ever heard! I've ridden a carbon frame all summer (1,000+miles) with nothing but great rides. I chose a Specialized Roubaix SL4 Carbon with Ultegra components (including Di2 shifting and hydraulic disc brakes), and it has been flawless. I did upgrade my wheels (stronger, lighter and faster wheels), and that did make a big difference. The factory wheels seemed a little flimsy, in my opinion.

I'm happy to share ANY experiences I've had as a fellow clyde riding carbon!! Ask your questions please.

Darrin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Primary4.jpg (109.3 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by CbadRider; 08-27-15 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Sale threads must be in the Marketplace forum
Old 08-27-15, 07:17 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked 1,790 Times in 1,033 Posts
I started riding a carbon bike when I was about 250, just got better wheels and never had any issues with it. Helped me shed the pounds to my current 180. It's usually never a frame issue, generally a wheel issue with larger riders.

Old 08-27-15, 07:21 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrinNYC
I've heard discussions about us bigger folk (6'4" and 235 pounds in my case) having issues with carbon frames. It's the craziest thing I've ever heard! I've ridden a carbon frame all summer (1,000+miles) with nothing but great rides. I chose a Specialized Roubaix SL4 Carbon with Ultegra components (including Di2 shifting and hydraulic disc brakes), and it has been flawless. I did upgrade my wheels (stronger, lighter and faster wheels), and that did make a big difference. The factory wheels seemed a little flimsy, in my opinion.

I'm happy to share ANY experiences I've had as a fellow clyde riding carbon!! Ask your questions please.

Darrin
What did you upgrade your Wheels to?
Old 08-27-15, 07:25 PM
DarrinNYC

Bikes: Seven Evergreen // Serotta SS // Calfee Bamboo SS // Spot Rallye SS

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I upgraded to Stan's NoTubes Alpha 400 in front and Stan's NoTubes Grail in rear. Light and VERY strong.
Old 08-28-15, 05:59 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Darrin
Plenty of Clydes ride carbon with no issues, although at 235lbs you're on the lower end for sure, there are heavier riders on here riding carbon. As always, the wheels are the weakest point.
Old 08-28-15, 07:04 AM
Flatbroke

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm riding a sl4 Roubaix expert. Started at 290. Waiting on wheels to arrive from Joe young. The stock rims are fine so far but I changed out the tires and put on clement 28s before the first ride. I've not ridden it much as I've only had it for a few weeks. My first ride was approximately 50 miles with about 2200 feet collective elevation. It has been pretty comfortable to ride compared to my Allez
Old 08-29-15, 07:54 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by Wileyone
What did you upgrade your Wheels to?
I was riding Velocity Fusion on 32 hole when I weighed between 250 and 350, then moved to Bontrager Race TLR. They were nice wheels, spun nice, but I felt they were a little flexy, I could feel brake rub every so often. When I dropped to 215, I bought some Boyd Altamont's with 24/28 spoke count. Awesome strong wheels and ride very nice. I would highly recommend them.

Pics of Altamonts on my Cannondale SuperSix and Synapse and commuter bike, Trek CrossRip.

Old 08-29-15, 07:56 PM
jaxgtr

Darrin
That's a nice bike by the way....