Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

For the military bikers: riding an option at Al Udeid AB, Qatar?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-16, 01:51 PM
stealthfixr

Bikes: Pinarello Rokh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've deployed before, but never to this particular place. I am headed there for a year for curious if I can or should bring my road bike; I have a spare road bike (Trek Pilot 5.2) just for something like this. I am not a runner, so biking in some form is my main way to get in fitness time. I hear there is Spinning at the gym, but would like to mix it up with outside riding if viable. I typically road bike 60-80 miles a week. I do not have a mountain bike, but not opposed to buying one if the roads are roadie unfriendly. I intend to put the bike into my 500lbs of unaccompanied baggage, so shipping case & small bike tool kit recommendations welcome too. Thanks!
Old 03-13-16, 10:58 PM
stealthfixr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bump
Old 03-13-16, 11:19 PM
thedave80

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, i've been there a bunch, done the bikes they have there, taken a road bike, and last time took a mountain bike. I'll send you a pm shortly, but it's very doable, especially if you're there for a year
Old 03-16-16, 02:59 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I was there,our first OIC brought a bike. You'll have to have lights,a helmet,and a disco vest,natch. Also understand it gets HOT over there. And very humid. We got proper London pea soup fog twice that didn't burn off until it hit 110°. Also understand that it is very sandy/dusty. You'll have to keep up on cleaning your chain. Personally,I'd take a beater. Find an older 10spd for cheaps and then just give it to someone or make it the shop bike.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 03-19-16, 10:45 AM
stealthfixr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
When I was there,our first OIC brought a bike. You'll have to have lights,a helmet,and a disco vest,natch. Also understand it gets HOT over there. And very humid. We got proper London pea soup fog twice that didn't burn off until it hit 110°. Also understand that it is very sandy/dusty. You'll have to keep up on cleaning your chain. Personally,I'd take a beater. Find an older 10spd for cheaps and then just give it to someone or make it the shop bike.
I have a spare road bike that I can bring. since I am PCS with unaccompanied baggage, I do not intend to leave it there. I am just hoping for some option other than spinning in the gym, even if it is not every day. An occasional outside ride will be great, either in the AM before the heat or at night with lights.
Old 03-19-16, 04:30 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stealthfixr
An occasional outside ride will be great, either in the AM before the heat or at night with lights.
I was there Jun-Sep. At night it would be in the 80's. Jus sayin',bring the Camelbak.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 06-21-17, 11:00 AM
Tjgribbleracing

Bikes: Titan Flex TF-20, Scott Plasma 20, Giant TCR2, Jamis Dakota

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tips welcome

Originally Posted by thedave80
Hey, i've been there a bunch, done the bikes they have there, taken a road bike, and last time took a mountain bike. I'll send you a pm shortly, but it's very doable, especially if you're there for a year
I'm headed there soon and looking to do the same. Any tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated
Old 06-21-17, 11:02 AM
Tjgribbleracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please help

Originally Posted by stealthfixr
I've deployed before, but never to this particular place. I am headed there for a year for curious if I can or should bring my road bike; I have a spare road bike (Trek Pilot 5.2) just for something like this. I am not a runner, so biking in some form is my main way to get in fitness time. I hear there is Spinning at the gym, but would like to mix it up with outside riding if viable. I typically road bike 60-80 miles a week. I do not have a mountain bike, but not opposed to buying one if the roads are roadie unfriendly. I intend to put the bike into my 500lbs of unaccompanied baggage, so shipping case & small bike tool kit recommendations welcome too. Thanks!
Hello. I'm headed there soon and looking to do the same. Any tips you can offer will be greatly appreciated
Old 06-23-17, 12:06 AM
thedave80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tjgribbleracing
Hello. I'm headed there soon and looking to do the same. Any tips you can offer will be greatly appreciated
You doing 6 months or a year? if 6 months, the airline will take the bike box as one of your checked bags. Take something with wider tires as the roads on base are rough. Make sure you take a lock, bikes have a tendency to walk away over there.
Old 06-23-17, 05:28 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Be careful with using even a hard dedicated bike case, I got burned a few weeks back by American Airlines. Their website stated that a hard sided bicycle case that met the size and weight requirements could be your first checked bag and charged as such, $25.00. I got our clubs Sunlite hard case, which met the size requirements in all dimensions. I had our son ship my wheels back to me so it was below their weight limit of 50lbs. The supervisor at the baggage check counter took one look at it and said that she didn't care about that, its a bicycle case and you are paying $150.00 to check it. I had no choice but to pony up.

I emailed their customer service and the guy there kept sending me the same form letter saying that regardless of what the website said they never over rule a supervisor about a baggage charge decision. After 2 days of sending all of the information in I just told them to pound sand.

Just a warning, you might receive consideration as a deploying service member, I hope that you do. I have not been on active duty for over 39 years now, so I don't expect anything at all, I did have on my old service flight jacket, with the service name patch, and some of the various squadron and command patches I have worked with over the years, but that drew a dirty look from the supervisor, for some strange reason.

I don't ever ask for veterans preferences, there are too many disabled vets that have real issues and don't get squat from anybody, for me to take advantage just because I served a long time ago. You guys and gals are the best, be safe over in the sand box, my prayers are with everyone of you. Thanks for protecting our freedoms.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 06-23-17 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-23-17, 06:09 AM
Tjgribbleracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Bill, thanks for the warning. More importantly, thanks for your service. I don't ask for any special considerations and never travel in uniform. You're right, there are a ton of disabled heros who deserve way more than me.
Old 06-23-17, 06:11 AM
Tjgribbleracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Dave, I'll be flying over there with it. You mention the security concern and that's something I've been thinking about too. Would you suggest taking my back-up rather than my primary ride? Also, do you have any tips for maintaining the bike over there?
Old 06-23-17, 07:04 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Tjgribbleracing
Hi Bill, thanks for the warning. More importantly, thanks for your service. I don't ask for any special considerations and never travel in uniform. You're right, there are a ton of disabled heros who deserve way more than me.
Thanks for that, Just please stay safe with all of the craziness going on about Qatar right now, make the best of things and have some fun when you can. Do drop by that thread I linked and post there, its just a way of keeping track of members here while they are deployed. I have made one very fast, deep friendship with a member here through that thread, Drillium Dude. Semper Fi, regardless of your branch of service.

Bill