Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Contador tests positive

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Contador tests positive

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-10, 08:00 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Hezz
What do you mean "grow up"? I know full well that what I would like is the least likely scenerio. Funny thing though, I'm setting at the laundry-mat typing this on their wi-fi because my washroom is down. They are showing a sports program on tv about doping in sports.
I mean the comments to which I responded which indicate a belief that this is likely the result of food posioning are extremely naive.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-29-10, 08:07 PM
marcosbullock
Jinja

Bikes: Giant TCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Food contamination? Personally, I've never seen a person grab an Albuterol brownie in the middle of an asthmatic episode.

Oh yeah and ...
Old 09-29-10, 08:12 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
As if most of the pro cycling field isn't doping. I'm embarassed to have paticipated in this sport. I raced Juniors 77-79, was at the OTC Christmas of 78 with all the top Juniors. Look at the differences in times between 78 and 79 25 mile Jr TT Nationals. It's clear to me that doping was going on then.

Tell me how Floyd's a liar and Lance is Snow White, I need a fairy tale...Oh, yeah, Andy and Greg were clean too...sure, where's the tooth fairy?
Old 09-29-10, 08:25 PM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very weird: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-...-investigation

From the UCI: “The concentration found by the laboratory was estimated at 50 picograms (or 0.00000000005 grams per ml) which is 400 time less than what the antidoping laboratories accredited by WADA must be able to detect.”
Old 09-29-10, 08:33 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Devil

From the UCI: “The concentration found by the laboratory was estimated at 50 picograms (or 0.00000000005 grams per ml) which is 400 time less than what the antidoping laboratories accredited by WADA must be able to detect.”
Levels this low could have been gotten anywhere. There are toxic chemicals and drugs in all waters and places of the world in much higher concentrations than this. In all likelihood, levels this low would probably not be from intentional ingestion. There is a point where you cannot separate unnatural substances in the body out of the noise of pollution in the world. And in the modern world everyone's body is full of pollution.

Last edited by Hezz; 09-29-10 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-29-10, 08:33 PM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"From the time of the first communication from the UCI, August 24, Alberto Contador alleged food contamination as the only possible explanation of what happened and has been turned over to the cyclist authorities since then in the confidence that this very serious problem could be clarified, which now is public."
And from Lance's Twitter on August 24th.
And now it all makes sense... 9:00 AM Aug 24th via Twitter for BlackBerry®
Man, that guy holds a grudge and doesn't forgive/forget. I can't believe he held it in and just posted some cryptic message on twiter.
:
Old 09-29-10, 08:37 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts

I think it's because the presense of clenbuterol is related to other substances
Old 09-29-10, 08:37 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Somewhere in Europe Andy Schleck is saying "WTF" is a picogram
Old 09-29-10, 08:40 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quel
And from Lance's Twitter on August 24th.
Man, that guy holds a grudge and doesn't forgive/forget. I can't believe he held it in and just posted some cryptic message on twiter.
:
Wasn't that in response to Floyd filing "whistle blower lawsuit" against Lance?
Old 09-29-10, 08:41 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by daytonian
No he knows metric
Old 09-29-10, 08:45 PM
rffffffff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just HATE when clenbuteral gets in my food. This one time, I even had testosterone drip right off a sweaty guy into my diet coke and I got a positive test that way too. One other time, I got **** on by a super fast pigeon and they nailed me for epo. Like I would ever take that stuff! I swear, it was the pigeon.
Old 09-29-10, 08:47 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts

And this:
“In view of this very small concentration and in consultation with WADA, the UCI immediately had the proper results management proceedings conducted including the analysis of B sample that confirmed the first result. The rider, who had already put an end to his cycling season before the result was known, was nevertheless formally and provisionally suspended as is prescribed by the World Anti-Doping Code.
Old 09-29-10, 08:48 PM
Hezz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daytonian
Old 09-29-10, 08:56 PM
Malloric

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently it's also used as a weight loss drug in the 50-200 mcg dosage range. So the detected amount was pretty low; 50 nanograms/liter and say 5 liters of blood means 250 nanograms ~ 1/2000th of a dose. Of course that could mean nothing depending on where in the body it accumulates and how long it remains. Contador could have been using it to cut weight leading up to the tour figuring that by the time he would be tested it would be long gone from his system. And then to his surprise the test was able to detect it in a concentration 1/400th of the standard.

LOL @ Lance's twitter. How did you even remember that?
Old 09-29-10, 09:05 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't say I'm surprised, upset, or disappointed. Frankly, I just don't care anymore. I've become de-sensitized to being upset about athletes getting busted for anything. I'm just moving on to the next race.
Old 09-29-10, 09:06 PM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Malloric
Saw it on another site (Slowtwitch). Though I find it hard to believe Lance could keep his big mouth shut on the topic for an entire month considering their feud. May just be a coincidence.
Old 09-29-10, 09:07 PM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
its crazy that LA never got busted. he will take it to his grave, but man o man what a story he could tell about his lies and deceptions and doping. carry on. later.
Old 09-29-10, 09:18 PM
TechKnowGN

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2011 Trek 3900 Disc MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not buy the food contamination, but here's how it COULD easily have happened:

Outside of the USA, Clenbutoral is used to increase the lean meat yield in some animals. It's rest day, the team cook is shopping at some local market that sells "organic, supplement free meat". Some farmer, trying to make ends meet, has his vet treat all his animals, not just the ones going to regular stores, in order to get more out of the years slaughter. The amounts used are enough to make a difference, but not enough to be detected by the stores testing (if there even is any) before they slap the "hormone free" label on.

Could be completely easy to see how it would happen, but I dont buy it. He was microdosing, because he knew he had a fight on his hand with a younger stronger rider.
Old 09-29-10, 09:25 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aham23
its crazy that LA never got busted. he will take it to his grave, but man o man what a story he could tell about his lies and deceptions and doping. carry on. later.
I've always thought it was interesting the number of riders that tested positive after leaving Johan Bruyneel run teams. But I don't recall any testing positive while on the team.
Old 09-29-10, 09:29 PM
Hezz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Malloric
Apparently it's also used as a weight loss drug in the 50-200 mcg dosage range. So the detected amount was pretty low; 50 nanograms/liter and say 5 liters of blood means 250 nanograms ~ 1/2000th of a dose. Of course that could mean nothing depending on where in the body it accumulates and how long it remains. Contador could have been using it to cut weight leading up to the tour figuring that by the time he would be tested it would be long gone from his system. And then to his surprise the test was able to detect it in a concentration 1/400th of the standard.

The odd thing is that if this were the case you would expect all of his samples taken during the tour to have tested positive, I'm not an expert but I'm thinking that a dose this small could have been breathed second hand. If you were standing next to a friend or family member who used his/her inhaler several times and got a small smell of it. It could be enough to show up at this level. Does this drug work as a masking agent at this level for other drugs.

This substance is also a common contaminant in supplements. From Cycling news:

Cyclingnews spoke with expert Dr. Don Catlin of Anti-Doping Research, Inc. to find out.

"Without knowing what the level [of clenbuterol] in his sample is, it's impossible to say," Catlin said. His laboratory works with supplement makers to detect drug contaminants, and Catlin said that clenbuterol is one of the more common contaminats found in supplements.

Last edited by Hezz; 09-29-10 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-29-10, 09:31 PM
Hezz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
I've always thought it was interesting the number of riders that tested positive after leaving Johan Bruyneel run teams. But I don't recall any testing positive while on the team.
In my opinion, that's because Johan and Lance are the best there are at doping. They also have left no stone unturned in maximizing performance and being careful. In this regards, Lance and Johan have no peers.

Last edited by Hezz; 09-29-10 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-29-10, 09:48 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The odd thing is that if this were the case you would expect all of his samples taken during the tour to have tested positive, I'm not an expert but I'm thinking that a dose this small could have been breathed second hand. If you were standing next to a friend or family member who used his/her inhaler several times and got a small smell of it. It could be enough to show up at this level. Does this drug work as a masking agent at this level for other drugs.

This substance is also a common contaminant in supplements. From Cycling news:

Cyclingnews spoke with expert Dr. Don Catlin of Anti-Doping Research, Inc. to find out.

"Without knowing what the level [of clenbuterol] in his sample is, it's impossible to say," Catlin said. His laboratory works with supplement makers to detect drug contaminants, and Catlin said that clenbuterol is one of the more common contaminats found in supplements.
Yes, its very strange that such a small dose would have been detected in the middle of the race. But I'm not an expert on testing by any means, it just seems odd. But this wouldn't be the first odd looking positive test out there.

In my opinion, that's because Johan and Lance are the best there are at doping. They also have left no stone unturned in maximizing performance and being careful. In this regards, Lance and Johan have no peers.
Yes. Clearly the best doctors in the business.
Old 09-29-10, 10:02 PM
Hezz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is certain that this is not an ordinary cut and dry doping violation. Look how long it took UCI and WADA to decide to announce the finding as positive. Even WADA and UCI claim that the investigation is ongoing because the levels are so low that accidental ingestion cannot be ruled out.

Last edited by Hezz; 09-29-10 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-29-10, 10:23 PM
mcoomer
Rat Bastard

Bikes: Cannondale Prophet, Specialized S-Works SL2, Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK...if it's a positive test that occurred during the TdF then does he get the Landis treatment? Is he the 3-time TdF champion with an asterisk beside his name?
Old 09-29-10, 10:28 PM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcoomer
OK...if it's a positive test that occurred during the TdF then does he get the Landis treatment? Is he the 3-time TdF champion with an asterisk beside his name?

No. I think the organizers would outright strip him of the title and give it to Schlek than mess around with asteriks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.