Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

What is this?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 07:00 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5471 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
What is this?

I traded for this bike today. It is so ugly I can't help but to like it. I'm going to fix it up then keep it, or ride it, or ???
It's had a brush paint job and I can't find any markings to identify it. The bike has had very little wear. I just hope it is big enough for me to ride.
Can anyone tell me what it is? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
folder 001.jpg (43.7 KB, 112 views)
folder 002.jpg (42.7 KB, 65 views)
folder 003.JPG (96.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-30-12, 07:02 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Generic U-frame folder, were sold under many names.
Old 04-30-12, 07:14 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

I thought I could get it running then keep it in the car trunk.

Any sites, etc. that would have info on this bike?

Last edited by sknhgy; 04-30-12 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-01-12, 08:46 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Is it worth fixing up, or is it the equivalent of a Walmart bike?
Old 05-02-12, 12:23 AM
snafu21

Bikes: None.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's a vintage low-price 'Shopper' type folder, the original design is from around 1970 or so. Steel frame, cottered cranks. The brush paint job may disguise many woes or it may be the whimsical work of a deranged fanatic. It could be a fun bike to ride, if fixed up.

It has a hint of Raleigh about it, brown grips & fenders, and chromed ? fork crown. Could be anything though. They were churned out by a number of Brit factories in the Seventies, and mostly scorned over here in the UK, and are now found mainly in junkyards. They seem to be fashion icons in the US and Oz though. Yours is a 'ladies' model step-through frame.

If restored, you'll be able to sell it for about half the cost of the restoration.

Pro's: They don't make them like that any more, so you'll have a 'fun' bike. Cons: They don't make 'em like that any more so it will be a faff dealing with the restoration.

The front-wheel mounted bottle dynamo is a death-trap, by the way.

Expect braking to be more or less notional if it has steel rims, and cottered cranks to be a source of constant hair-loss if you want to get the forty-year old cotter pins out. Hint: obtain new ones before you try, and expect the bottom bracket bearings and wheel bearings to be square and rusty. If it has alloy rims it might be post 1980 or so, and a Far East shopper bike.

Most of the fittings look to be old Imperial stuff, bearings for the head race and bottom bracket are easily available, as will be bottom bracket cups and spindles. Wheel restoration tends to involve expense and rusty spokes/corroded nipples. It's often a sweary, irate process.

Worth? An entire body of folks 'do up' the similarly woe-begotten Raleigh Twenty shopper, and love them. You could have discovered either a new life-time hobby or a drain on your Medicare frees.

Fix or fling? We wait with baited breath.

Last edited by snafu21; 05-02-12 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-02-12, 03:56 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Here's an example of what might be...

Attached Images
pinkbike.jpg (42.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 05-02-12, 06:43 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Originally Posted by jur
Here's an example of what might be...

Mine's not pink.
People must give you grief for riding a folder, Mr. Moderator. I hope you can understand those's people's views. You've been less than encouraging.

Last edited by sknhgy; 05-02-12 at 06:55 AM.
Old 05-02-12, 08:06 AM
Purpleorchid

Bikes: Brompton H6L raw lacquer (2012)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It kind of looks fun as a display piece too. One can take the time and look at all its "character" that it built over the years. From what I can tell in the pics, the bike looks old, not neglected in the nether regions of a musty old garage.
Old 05-03-12, 12:03 AM
snafu21

Bikes: None.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You've been less than encouraging"

It's an almost value-less old bicycle, not the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. If you do start ripping into it you'll be inundated with advice. Viz:

Start with bottom bracket disassembly. If the cups are corroded in and you mangle the frame getting them out, you won't have wasted too much time and effort on the rest of it. You'll need those spare cotter pins before you start.

Last edited by snafu21; 05-03-12 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-03-12, 12:21 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Generic folder that may very well be of Soviet manufacture as many of these came from the near east.... my best guess that it is Czechoslovakian in origin.
Old 05-03-12, 03:38 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
Mine's not pink.
People must give you grief for riding a folder, Mr. Moderator. I hope you can understand those's people's views. You've been less than encouraging.
Not sure who you might be referring to... can't be me, I'm not a moderator... Any way do you recognize none-too-subtle humour or does it have to hit you in the head?
Old 05-03-12, 08:22 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Originally Posted by jur
Not sure who you might be referring to... can't be me, I'm not a moderator... Any way do you recognize none-too-subtle humour or does it have to hit you in the head?
Sorry, I thought you were a mod.
Hey, I appreciate humor. I also like to fix things up. This thing can be fixed and someone can use it, or it can go sit in a dump somewhere. I've found that the reason it became inoperable is that the front wheel bearings siezed up. Now, if I can just get a replacement wheel this bike will be rideable and there is still some life left in it. Everything else is OK.
If you see some of the junk that kids ride nowadays you would see the value in this bike. I just came here to try and get some perspective on it.
Thanks. And I did get a chuckle out of the hermaphrodite on the pink bike. I hope it's none of your kin.
Old 05-20-12, 05:31 PM
anthonygeo

Bikes: Kickbike, Raleigh M60, Electra Cruiser, Marin Nail Trail, Schwinn Hinge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You ever figure it out? Kinda looks like the schwinn hinge folding bike I bought. It's sad no one can offer advice since its "generic".
Old 05-21-12, 02:37 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
After reflection and much study, I have come to the conclusion ;
it is a bike........

Last edited by bhkyte; 05-21-12 at 02:49 AM.
Old 05-21-12, 04:36 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Generic U-folder, built all over the world. I have two of them that I got sucked in by, mine are a Rixe and an Atala. As pointed out check the bottom bracket first, it if pans out then start on the other stuff. If you are lucky the parts will be standard sizing.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-21-12, 06:02 PM
az2008

Bikes: Schwinn Avenue (Walmart), Former owner of Mongoose Paver. (I have the notable distinction of purchasing the last Paver!)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now, if I can just get a replacement wheel this bike will be rideable and there is still some life left in it. Everything else is OK.
I encourage you to fix it up. Even if it's not the right bike for you, it could be valuable to someone. For example, if you live in a metro area you could put out feelers to your local Goodwill's "job center" (or local food bank) explaining how you have a carry-on bike for bus (light rail) riders which you'd be willing to give (or sell for $20) to the right person (a newly hired person who has transportation challenges, maybe recovering from a career disruption).

You know those people exist. It shouldn't be hard to find them through the right support organizations.
Old 05-23-12, 05:55 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What would put me off doing it is this: Any bike of that vintage with steel rims is mostly braked by wishful thinking and your trainers, specially in the wet. To get it to stop in any meaningful way, you'd need to rebuild the wheels with alloy rims, certainly fit better brake shoes, and perhaps even dual pivot long reach brakes (shout out to followers of the Cult of Alhonga). I would do that on a Raleigh 20, and have done. I'd do it on a Moulton, or a Royal Enfield Revelation, but I would do it on that, because the resulting bike will still have all the stiffness of a wet noodle. Those things were like riding a drunk snake, and even as a fan of vintage bikes, I'd say most people would be better of with a $100 Wal Mart BSO than one of those. I know that's pretty damning, but really, they weren't very good bikes. Can it be done? Yes, absolutely. Should it be done? Only if you have genuine affection for the bike.
Old 05-25-12, 05:30 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Ta Da!! Here she be:

I'll call it "The Turd" because one of my students saw me working on it and said, "why are you fixing that, it's a turd".
I scraped off the old paint and gave it a spray-bomb paint job. BB, headset, and rear bearings were cleaned and repacked. The lbs gave me a good deal on a new front wheel and a couple of white side-wall tires that he had hanging in the rafters for years. The front white-wall got scuffed because I took it for a test ride before properly adjusting the front brake. I gave it new front brake pads. I also soaked and re-oiled the chain.
I've got about $55 in it. If nothing else I'm going to save it and ride it when I'm an old, old man. But really, if someone really wants it I'll probably give it away.
One thing I did learn. Metallurgy wasn't as good when this bike was made as it is now. The fasteners on this bike can be very easily stretched and broken. Luckily I learned that on a replaceable bolt and not on something like the tapered pins that hold the cranks to the BB spindle.
It rides OK, for what it is.
I sit here basking in a sense of accomplishment.
Attached Images
001.jpg (66.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 05-26-12, 07:28 PM
social suicide

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
So, you've got $55 in a $25 bike. I've done much, much worse.

Campy crank, Alienation rims, North Road bars, Maxxis tires, It might get $25 on a good day!
But the chicks really dig it and my teenage children are so proud of me.
Old 05-27-12, 03:55 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ta Da!! Here she be:

I'll call it "The Turd" because one of my students saw me working on it and said, "why are you fixing that, it's a turd".
Education is wasted on students !!
Old 05-27-12, 05:58 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Ta Da!! Here she be:

I scraped off the old paint and gave it a spray-bomb paint job. BB, headset, and rear bearings were cleaned and repacked. The lbs gave me a good deal on a new front wheel and a couple of white side-wall tires that he had hanging in the rafters for years. The front white-wall got scuffed because I took it for a test ride before properly adjusting the front brake. I gave it new front brake pads. I also soaked and re-oiled the chain.
I've got about $55 in it. If nothing else I'm going to save it and ride it when I'm an old, old man. But really, if someone really wants it I'll probably give it away.
One thing I did learn. Metallurgy wasn't as good when this bike was made as it is now. The fasteners on this bike can be very easily stretched and broken. Luckily I learned that on a replaceable bolt and not on something like the tapered pins that hold the cranks to the BB spindle.
It rides OK, for what it is.
I sit here basking in a sense of accomplishment.
That is not a metallurgy issue that is a cheap fastener issue, the BSO's of today suffer from the same problem.

BTW looks great...but does it float?

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-27-12, 01:43 PM
maunakea
too many bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After studying this thread and the decades of cumulative wrenching embedded in the counsel given to the OP, I think this is the meaning and message: the OP has a very nice shop, loves folders, and wanted a project. The God of Junkyards and Garage Sales answered his Solicitation, and soon, incognizant of other adolescents' sneers, there will be a new initiate into folderdom. One of the OP's students will bond with this Slavic nightmare, and pedal into the sunset.