Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Affordable tubeless gravel wheelset for Poseidon X

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-22, 04:07 PM
Cnguyen323

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

The stock wheelset on this thing isn’t ideal. But I haven’t had issues related to the rims yet. Just some issues with running a tubed setup.

these are the specs on the stock X I could find that are relevant to this upgrade.
  • Wheels: Poseidon Alloy 700c 32h, quick-release axle. Rims are not tubeless compatible.
  • Bike can handle up to a 700x40 tire with clearance for mud. 650b compatible with up to a 1.9" wide tire.
  • Fork: Full Carbon fork – Tapered 1 1/8" – 1 1/2"
  • Thru axle spacing - 100 front/ 142 rear
  • QR spacing 100/135
  • 12mm axle needed for TA

I assume they’re better than a big box store bike’s rims. I’m thinking of going with the aluminum wtb i23 (or something of a similar price range/spec) but I’m not sure of which model specifically.

I’m mostly riding pavement and hard pack gravel. I’m 240lbs/109kg so if there are recommendations on sturdy wheel sets out there, let me know. If I’m silly for looking for a wheelset at this price point and should look for something around the $500 mark, I’d also like to know.

also let me know your experiences with tubeless and if it’s a good idea for a beginner at all. I struggle with even mounting a tire with my tube setup. I have a reliable lbs that I trust to switch over my cassette/rotors if I decide to get a new wheelset.

I’m cross posting this from the gravel/CX post I made.

I contacted Poseidon and they recommended these 24 spoke hunt wheels. I’ve heard mixed reviews about Hunt. But I’m not the type to drop $600+ on a wheelset… yet.
https://us.huntbikewheels.com/produc...-wide-wheelset

From what I've researched, the more spokes, the better for us big boned folks. Is 24 enough for my weight?
Old 07-13-22, 07:57 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
I just put these on my bike. I could not be happier with them. Bontrager doesn't put a rider weight limit on their wheels. They are within your price point. I run them with tubes but they can be set up tubeless. Most of what they sell is pre-owned, but the wheels I got were brand new.

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...el-no-warranty
Old 07-13-22, 09:20 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 1,077 Posts
Cnguyen323 what kind of issues with running tubed are you having? There may be other solutions than a new wheelset, and a new wheelset may not be a solution at all, depending on the nature of the problems.

If you’re hoping to piggyback upgrades with the solution, although I don’t know exactly the spec of your stock wheelset, it’s unlikely that you’ll get any meaningful upgrades out of a $500 wheelset. Lighter weight, additional width, aero gains, enhanced durability…you’ll probably be trading off one for another, which I’d call more of a lateral move than an upgrade, but it also depends on your goals. Straightline speed on pavement? Improved stability on gravel? Sportier feel? The latest looks? Given you can’t afford it all, it makes sense to identify what you’d like above the others, and make sure any new wheelset is delivering that over the stock set.

With regard to spoke count, it’s more than that which makes a wheel good or suitable for a heavy rider. The engineering of the wheel is paramount, and so to answer your question in brief, yes, 24 spokes can be enough. Flange height and spacing, rim depth, the resulting bracing angle, rim and spoke material and spec…that’s where the gold is. Spoke count alone only suffices to describe suitability of the lowest grade components, by which I mean that any yahoo can throw together any hub/rim/spoke combo and make it work if they use enough spokes, but only good designers using top quality parts can build an 18 spoke front, 24 spoke rear, 1372g wheelset which is exemplary for a strong, heavy rider. And that’s not hyperbole; those specs describes the American Classic Argent wheelset which I have been riding for a decade at weights between 230lbs and 250lbs…the exact same set, over the notoriously lousy roads of Michigan. I have two sets on the road, actually, and they’re the most brilliant wheels I’ve ever ridden, but unfortunately no longer available.

Lastly, on the issue of tubeless, I’d say it’s not a great idea for the novice to wade into building a system piecemeal. Particularly not for heavy riders who also need to be mindful of high pressure suitability. In addition to the various challenges surrounding rim/tire compatibility, it takes the right set of tools to easily live with and maintain tubeless tires. It’s not undoable of course, but can be a lot if one is not committed to the adventure. I’ve run as many as 5 sets of tubeless wheelsets concurrently, and presently run 4 bikes tubeless, so it has its place, but tubeless is not the best setup for all scenarios.