Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Browning Automatic Transmission?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-22, 11:43 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts

I'm not into mountain bikes, but I've seen these mentioned in older magazines from the 1980s. Anyone have any experience with them? Do they work? Reliably?
Old 08-04-22, 01:04 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
Interesting, here's a link for a short description: Browning Smartshift equipped bike at Classic Cycle | Classic Cycle Bainbridge Island Kitsap County (classiccycleus.com)
Old 08-04-22, 01:40 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nsmission.html
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 08-04-22, 02:20 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 936 Posts
From SpeedofLite 's thread- Paul worked for Suntour USA at the time. RIP

Originally Posted by pcb
Sorry, a little late to reply here. The BEAST was indeed, very much like WTB GreaseGuard and the Pedersen SE canti brakes, an attempt to one-up Shimano with cool new technology while also recapturing some cachet/coolness for Suntour products. There was as I recall a fair amount of initially very positive buzz around the BEAST, and we had a strong number of preorders from both OEM, for their high-end models, and from custom builders.

But BEAST, also like WTB GG, was significantly more complicated to manufacture at a production scale than Suntour imagined. And just like WTB GG, Suntour committed to pricing, purchase order quantities and licensing fees before they had any idea how many they could actually make, how quickly they could make them, and how much production would actually cost per unit. Not a strong recipe for success.

The BEAST mfr sticking point, IIRC, was the hinged shifting gates requiring a mfr/fit precision the Taiwanese subcontracting factory was unable to reliably attain. There was very little +/- tolerance wiggle room between acceptable and non-functional. There were also issues with functional test units not performing as intended in the field, maybe sand at Moab wasn't an issue but mud at Mammoth Lake was? But that kinda didn't matter so much because very few production units were actually produced, shipped and built into bicycles. Almost all the OEM/builders cancelled their orders because of production delays, not because of market feedback. Which was somewhat of a blessing for Suntour, since costs has increased so much the BEAST initial price was significantly below actual cost. Fulfilling just the initial orders would have entailed a significant loss.

It was yet another fine mess.

There was very cool potential there, though. The Brownings were looking at combining the front BEAST with a similar rear cluster, and incorporating an electronic shifter control, allowing dual/mulitple/simultaneous front/rear shifting to run through the gear progression. And that wasn't enough for them, so they were also thinking about the possibility of developing a small programmable electronic device that could autoshift front/rear mechs.
​​​​​​​

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 08-04-22, 05:51 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site...railleurs.html
Old 08-06-22, 05:49 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I have had experience with three or four automatic transmissions. I would not pay five cents for any of them. Simply put, in my opinion, they do sort of work but are dangerous, sometimes shifting when you least expect it. That can cause one, meaning the rider, to land on the top tube and experience pain and possible physical damage. I know - I have been there.
Old 01-02-23, 01:52 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 131 Posts
If anyone is interested in an exhaustive explanation of this product by one of the designers, I have scanned this article from Bike Tech, written by one of the designers, Angel Rodriquez.

This is from my mountain bike archive blog.