Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track workout for a noob

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 07:50 PM
SpotOfBother

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Track workout for a noob

Hello,

I'm just getting into track cycling. I've been to 5 sessions at my local velodrome (Hellyer), and I've put together an inexpensive track bike. The sessions I've been to have mostly covered just the basics, so I've only ridden the track and done efforts in concert with other riders. I don't know what to do with myself without a track supervisor telling me when to pedal and when to stop. Tomorrow Hellyer has an unstructured session for intermediate riders, and I want to go.

As far as whether I'm a sprinter or endurance rider, I haven't picked a major yet. For now I just want to focus on pedaling fast, holding my line, and not being a hazard to others. I'd appreciate it if someone could post a basic workout that would take 2-3 hours to complete.

Thanks,
Spot

P.S. Sorry if this has been covered before. I couldn't find the magical combination of search terms that would yield a helpful answer
Old 04-09-15, 02:08 AM
Banchad

Bikes: Planet X Pro Carbon, Dolan FXE, Fuji Transonic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpotOfBother
Hello,

I'm just getting into track cycling. I've been to 5 sessions at my local velodrome (Hellyer), and I've put together an inexpensive track bike. The sessions I've been to have mostly covered just the basics, so I've only ridden the track and done efforts in concert with other riders. I don't know what to do with myself without a track supervisor telling me when to pedal and when to stop. Tomorrow Hellyer has an unstructured session for intermediate riders, and I want to go.

As far as whether I'm a sprinter or endurance rider, I haven't picked a major yet. For now I just want to focus on pedaling fast, holding my line, and not being a hazard to others. I'd appreciate it if someone could post a basic workout that would take 2-3 hours to complete.

Thanks,
Spot

P.S. Sorry if this has been covered before. I couldn't find the magical combination of search terms that would yield a helpful answer
I go to the gym 3 times a week for an hour each visit. Squats, romanian deadlifts, dumbell rows and situps. I also do a chaingang on tuesday nights and a club ride on either saturday or sunday. To be honest though right now you should focus on working on your track skills to the point where its natural instinct. No sudden moves and drill that right shoulder check into memory. If you can fit a front brake to your bike I would also recommend taking it out on the roads and getting used to the feeling of the bike and how it will handle.
Old 04-09-15, 06:17 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
What is your background? Noob on the track but what cycling / sports / fitness prior?
Old 04-09-15, 09:06 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
...Tomorrow Hellyer has an unstructured session for intermediate riders, and I want to go...
For tomorrow just do something like:

- 15 minute warmup on warmup gear
- Rest off the bike. Install race gear (if you have one).
- 10 laps at "faster than warmup pace". Finish the laps 8, 9, and 10 at fast, faster, and fastest pace.
- Roll around till your heart rate comes down then sit and rest for 15 minutes.
- Repeat the 10 laps + rest set 2, 3, or more times till you are cooked.

This will:
- Simulate a middle-distance 10 lap scratch race.
- Get you some track time.
- Get you some practice holding your line at speed.
- Help you learn pacing and how to relax on the bike.
- Help you be comfortable with others on the track while doing a hard effort (that isn't max speed).
- Help you be comfortable with others zooming by you at faster speeds.

That'll keep you busy for tomorrow.

What you may be looking for long-term is a training plan.
Old 04-09-15, 10:27 AM
SpotOfBother

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Banchad
I go to the gym 3 times a week for an hour each visit. Squats, romanian deadlifts, dumbell rows and situps. I also do a chaingang on tuesday nights and a club ride on either saturday or sunday.
My employer has a very nice gym, and I will start lifting there soon. Fortunately I've done all those movements before, so I don't need coaching on form. It's been about 2 years since I picked up a barbell, so I'll start out very light.

Originally Posted by Banchad
To be honest though right now you should focus on working on your track skills to the point where its natural instinct. No sudden moves and drill that right shoulder check into memory. If you can fit a front brake to your bike I would also recommend taking it out on the roads and getting used to the feeling of the bike and how it will handle.
That's the plan for now. The bike was a single-speed that I've owned for 3 years. I converted it to fixed and rode ~100 miles on busy streets without touching the brakes.
Old 04-09-15, 10:55 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
That is great you are comfortable on the bike. That is a good start. There are so many sublte yet critical things on the track that you can only learn on the track.

One small example that surprised me as a noobie was just how strong the draft was at track speeds. Coming up on the back of a pack doing 25++ mph, I would be working hard to catch up, back off to match pace, but the draft of the pack would suck me in faster than I expected and I would overshoot my mark. But once I learned how effective the draft was, I could use it to my advantage...
Old 04-09-15, 10:56 AM
SpotOfBother

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
What is your background? Noob on the track but what cycling / sports / fitness prior?
I've been riding on the road for about 5 years/15K miles. I've always liked riding fast, but my size (6'5"/230lbs) means I get killed on hills.

Before I discovered the bike, I did CrossFit for 5 years. I lifted weights for years before CrossFit, so I know about proper form.

Last edited by SpotOfBother; 04-09-15 at 11:08 AM. Reason: I'm a stickler for grammar.
Old 04-09-15, 11:06 AM
SpotOfBother

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
For tomorrow just do something like:

- 15 minute warmup on warmup gear
- Rest off the bike. Install race gear (if you have one).
- 10 laps at "faster than warmup pace". Finish the laps 8, 9, and 10 at fast, faster, and fastest pace.
- Roll around till your heart rate comes down then sit and rest for 15 minutes.
- Repeat the 10 laps + rest set 2, 3, or more times till you are cooked.
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Originally Posted by carleton
What you may be looking for long-term is a training plan.
I've talked to a track coach. I plan to engage his services after I recover from April 15th (tax day for those outside the US). For now it seems like working on my bike handling and track awareness is more important than embarking on a regimented training plan.

Thanks again,
Spot
Old 04-09-15, 11:18 AM
SpotOfBother

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
That is great you are comfortable on the bike. That is a good start. There are so many sublte yet critical things on the track that you can only learn on the track.

One small example that surprised me as a noobie was just how strong the draft was at track speeds. Coming up on the back of a pack doing 25++ mph, I would be working hard to catch up, back off to match pace, but the draft of the pack would suck me in faster than I expected and I would overshoot my mark. But once I learned how effective the draft was, I could use it to my advantage...
I've been in a couple of practice scratch races with more experienced riders. I was amazed by how fast everything happens with passing others, being passed by others, etc. I ended up in the ICU a couple years ago after crashing on the road, so I'm probably more paranoid than most when it comes to being safe on the bike.
Old 04-09-15, 12:04 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.
No problem.

Remember: When you are doing your efforts, do them in the sprinters lane and pass slower riders on the right (as you would do in a race). Others will pass over you as they do faster efforts. If you are warming up or recovering on the track, it is customary to do it slightly above the blue "Stayers" line (in the middle of the track). People below you will be doing their efforts and people above you (to your right) will whiz by doing windups for flying efforts. I'm sure they covered this in your training classes.

If you need to slow down more but still move your legs, go to the inside of the apron or warmup circle.

When in doubt hold your line. The worst thing you can do is see a 200+ lb guy running up behind you at 40mph and you try to "get out of his way" and swerve left or right. Stay put. He's already decided if he's going above or below you. You moving will just screw things up