Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Recommend me a qr seatpost clamp, with caveats...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-21, 02:51 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts

I need to hack a Hite-Rite onto a frame with a removable seatpost collar. The typical (and way I'd like to use) is to drill a hole opposite the clamp, tap, and install a set screw to keep the clamp from moving while the lever is open.

I'd like to find one with a brass lever bushing as they tend to last longer and operate smoother. Needs to be 30.0 diameter. I noticed the fancy ones are are being made of super hard (2014) alloy, which makes me worry about cracking when I'm drilling my screw hole. I guess I'm looking for a chunky one that operates smoothly.
Old 09-21-21, 07:51 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
hmm..maybe try looking at bmx collars on ebay? they have plenty of vintage ones, usually

Last edited by thook; 09-21-21 at 07:54 PM.