Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive bike rack for Fla. trip

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 04:45 PM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I suppose I could ask this anywhere but this is my BF "home": Mrs. and I are driving to Florida to spend the month of February. We're taking her Mercury Grand Marquis land yacht. I need a cheap trunk mount bike rack to avoid squashing my bike in the trunk. While the Merc has a huge trunk, I'm also stuffing an inflatable Sea Eagle kayak in there.

Any recommendations on an inexpensive (i.e., available at the likes of Wally World, Target, etc) yet sufficiently sturdy unit for very occasional use? (My Subaru WRX w/Yakima roof rack is my usual bike transport but Mrs. does not want to spend three driving days each way in the Subie.)

We'll be staying in North Ft. Myers. I've looked up the Caloosa Riders bike club there so if any of you are members this snowbird might join you on some rides. I'll be the guy on the red Schwinn Super Le Tour.
Old 01-09-10, 05:38 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You might try a couple of thrift stores and find a trunk mounted rack. I know here they usually have them. My wife has brought a couple different ones home from yard sales and they all seem to work okay. I currently have two that she paid $5.00 apiece for. One is a Bell and I am not sure what the other one is. Both of them have adjustable straps and they are very easy to fit to different cars. One thing that may not be necessary, but I do anyway, is I always tie a half hitch in the strap just in case the buckle doesn't hold.
I have hauled our two Litespeeds on both of them with no issues. I do lock the bike to the frame of the vehicle with a long kryptonite cable when I use the strap on racks.
Also, with these if you put the bottom hooks on the bottom edge of the trunk ,instead of the bumper, you can still open the trunk with the bikes on.

Last edited by RoMad; 01-09-10 at 05:41 PM. Reason: another thought came to me (50+ you know)
Old 01-09-10, 05:56 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I've owned several different trunk mounted racks, including some really cheap ones, and they all worked OK for occasional use. The difference in quality seemed to be more in fit and finish, less in functionality.

One other tip - once you load your bikes on the rack, drive a few miles and then pull over and check. Things will have shifted a bit; it's wise to tighten, adjust, and tweak. My experience is that once you do that, you can drive hundreds of miles without a problem.
Old 01-09-10, 06:18 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I picked one up off Craig's List for $20. I used a ratchet strap to hold the bikes down, stopped to retighten everthing after a few miles and traveled well over 1,000 miles with no problems.
Old 01-09-10, 07:02 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This one might be a little more than you were planning but they might take less. It is on Detroit Craigslist.
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/bik/1535681179.html.
Old 01-09-10, 07:05 PM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks RoMad, but that's about an hour's drive each way from me - and more than I want to spend too. Am keeping an eye peeled on CL, though.
Old 01-10-10, 01:58 AM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi,

The problem with cheap bike racks is that they can inflict a lot of paint damage. If you drive with your bike with some frequency get a good rack that doesn't touch the frame.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 01-10-10, 06:46 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Got one at a garage sale for $5.00.

Used it only once. It worked.
Old 01-10-10, 09:34 AM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SW Florida is a beautiful place, especially compared to Detroit in February. My daughter is living in Naples now - it we head down that way in Feb I'll look you up.
Old 01-10-10, 10:48 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I've had really good results with Allen racks for around $35 new at (I think) MC Sports. I got it at our local store in Ann Arbor, but I've seen them at different MC's around the SE area. Sheldon liked them. I've never lost or scratched a bike with them. We've taken a pair of bikes to NYC and back, to Traverse City a bunch of times, and to Chicago and back. After 7 years still secure.

In comparison, Yakima, Saris, and Thule cost a lot more. Can't say if they're more durable.
Old 01-10-10, 12:31 PM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It pays to belong to a bike club or three. Put out the word on a couple of local club BBs and a guy offered to loan me his Saris Bones rack.