Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Dartmouth coach dies after bike crash

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-23, 09:19 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts

Never mind.

Last edited by Inusuit; 09-20-23 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-20-23, 10:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
Maybe they are worried about lawsuits and trying to limit their liability for suggesting the driver was wrong. In this day and age of on the scene new reporting, they can't risk saying that anyone was at fault until it's proven in court. Unfortunately things like this may not go to court and the news probably wouldn't be interested enough to update anything if it did go to court.
Old 09-20-23, 01:18 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,382 Times in 7,210 Posts
...the reporting at the time strongly implies the driver might have been without fault.
Old 09-20-23, 01:36 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Yeah, that hits close to home.

Tulane

After his first head coaching job at Dartmouth, Teevens was the coach at Tulane University from 1992 to 1996.[2] While he had an overall record of 11–45 in five years at Tulane, he recruited many of the players on the 1998 team that went 12–0.[2] (WIKI LINK)

A fantastic recruiter.
Old 09-20-23, 01:40 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Teevens did not have any illuminated lights on his bicycle and wasn’t in a crosswalk or designated crossing area, the report stated. LINK

Old 09-20-23, 01:50 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Yeah, it'd be nice if the OP would post the link to the article they read. Was "inattentive" that was used in their post just something assumed?
Old 09-20-23, 02:02 PM
njkayaker

Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Another case where it wasn't a "bike crash," he was killed by an inattentive driver in a pickup truck. Had to do a search to find the truth.

I don't understand why the press continues to avoid stating this "crash" and others were caused by drivers. Seems to imply that the cyclist just crashed and died without the involvement of a vehicle.
Yet another example of somebody complaining about someone saying something but no link to what they actually said.

Provide a link.

And, no, don’t expect people to go looking for whatever you happened to have read.
Old 09-20-23, 03:13 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Sorry for the offense.
Old 09-20-23, 03:34 PM
njkayaker

Sorry for the offense.
You should be.

You aren’t that sorry because you still haven’t provided a link.

Note that it’s pretty much hearsay and begging the question.

Note that the links other people provided don’t use the word “crash” (which you quoted in your post). So, we are left to conclude you are full of it.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-20-23 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-20-23, 03:46 PM
Inusuit

https://www.google.com/search?q=dart...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...cycle-accident

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...t/70905177007/

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/271861

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/dartmo...y?id=103337294

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/thre...-crash.334335/

https://people.com/dartmouth-footbal...-crash-7972071

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2023/09...ike-crash.html

https://www.si.com/college/2023/09/2...crash-injuries

https://www.news-journalonline.com/s...l/70031200007/
Old 09-20-23, 04:29 PM
njkayaker

Was that so hard?

Of course, you only looked for all of them after the fact (after more than just me called you on it).

Unfortunately, you were also being careless because some of them are actually the same reference!

There's additional sloppiness on your part because many of your refences use the word "crash" in the headline (which have all sorts of issues you should be aware of).

The last reference doesn't use the word crash in reference to the particular incident.

So, you just did a slapdash google search (after the fact) and got references you did not even read!

I don't understand why the press continues to avoid stating this "crash" and others were caused by drivers. Seems to imply that the cyclist just crashed and died without the involvement of a vehicle.
You are also making a very broad claim here. All the references you found (after the fact!) fail to support this broad claim.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-20-23 at 04:38 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-20-23, 04:50 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
There's additional sloppiness on your part because many of your refences use the word "crash" in the headline (which have all sorts of issues you should be aware of).
Even worse, at least according to some BF would-be semantic scholars, the USA Today reference uses the term "Bike Accident" to describe the incident that led to the fatal injuries.
Old 09-21-23, 07:14 AM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
So a coach, who revolutionized reducing injuries in college football, somehow failed to see potential benefit in some basic protocols for safe biking? And at night too?

I had to dig back to find a report from not long after his 'accident' to find some relevant details: No helmet, no lights, failed to yield.

Bike vs. F-150, not an even match.

Hardly an accident IMHO.

Like with the guy I hit on my way to work in Chicago in 2005.

Headed east into the rising sun on Chicago Avenue, I was following behind a van in the right lane when it suddenly stopped mid-block. I assumed it was dropping someone off so I pulled into the inner lane to pass. Only to find a cyclist facing me in that lane, beside the van, whom I struck at ~ 20 mph.

I was driving a MINI Cooper, wasn't cited.

It was 7 AM, cyclist had been headed westbound but decided instead to attempt to cross four lanes of city street, against two lanes of oncoming traffic.

Van driver didn't stick around..​

​​​​​​Cyclist ended up in hospital.

My insurance settled his PI claim for significant $$$ a year later despite word that lab test when hospitalized showed he had a BAC of 0.20 soon after being admitted.

I don't look back at the heart attack I experienced six months later as an 'accident' either.

Last edited by spclark; 09-21-23 at 07:19 AM.
Likes For spclark:
Old 09-21-23, 09:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
So a coach, who revolutionized reducing injuries in college football, somehow failed to see potential benefit in some basic protocols for safe biking? And at night too?

I had to dig back to find a report from not long after his 'accident' to find some relevant details: No helmet, no lights, failed to yield.

Bike vs. F-150, not an even match.

Hardly an accident IMHO.

Like with the guy I hit on my way to work in Chicago in 2005.

Headed east into the rising sun on Chicago Avenue, I was following behind a van in the right lane when it suddenly stopped mid-block. I assumed it was dropping someone off so I pulled into the inner lane to pass. Only to find a cyclist facing me in that lane, beside the van, whom I struck at ~ 20 mph.

I was driving a MINI Cooper, wasn't cited.

It was 7 AM, cyclist had been headed westbound but decided instead to attempt to cross four lanes of city street, against two lanes of oncoming traffic.

Van driver didn't stick around..​

​​​​​​Cyclist ended up in hospital.

My insurance settled his PI claim for significant $$$ a year later despite word that lab test when hospitalized showed he had a BAC of 0.20 soon after being admitted.

I don't look back at the heart attack I experienced six months later as an 'accident' either.
Jeebus!

Some 20 years ago I found out that a former GF and very good friend that I had lost touch with had been hit by a truck and killed while riding home from her new position at Kent State. I ended up trading emails with her department head and expressed general anger and motorists. He told me it was her fault. That she was "not being careful enough." That's why I get somewhat peeved when people in this forum seem to automatically assume fault on the part of the motorist. People who do that should think twice after reading about your experience, because something like that could happen to them. I live in a large city with many narrow, one-way streets. People routinely ride against traffic. I have lost count of how many wrong-way cyclists I have almost hit while making right had turns at intersections.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-21-23, 11:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by indyfabz
live in a large city with many narrow, one-way streets. People routinely ride against traffic. I have lost count of how many wrong-way cyclists I have almost hit while making right had turns at intersections.
Off topic, but I see this too. And I wonder when I watch parents walking in the neighborhood with their young children riding bikes on the same side as the parents are walking, if they are just getting their kids use to riding their bikes on the wrong side of the road.

I also wonder if it's time to do away with walking into traffic. Seems many that aren't pedestrians think they are and they too ride into traffic. Regardless, it just gets to be a mess when cars, bicycles, walkers, runners and roller skaters come to the same point going different directions in both lanes. I'd be happier walking with the traffic whether motorized or not.
Old 09-21-23, 12:26 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Seems many that aren't pedestrians think they are and they too ride into traffic.
Pedestrian... interesting etymology in that word. English is so grand a language what with many words having such disparate meanings depending on context.

Regardless, it just gets to be a mess when cars, bicycles, walkers, runners and roller skaters come to the same point going different directions in both lanes.
You left out skateboarders, unicylers.

I maintain that if one's feet are involved – whether in contact with the ground / pavement or providing the means of propulsion to carry you along – you by definition are a pedestrian.

If instead there's another means of propulsion one benefits from, one is supposed to be in control of that 'vehicle' at all times and thus responsible for its effects on surroundings.

A helmsman in a sailboat's got his sails and tiller, a motorcycle rider's got his throttle and brakes. Walkers, bicyclists, rollerskaters and skateboarders all use their feet for propulsion after all, right? Why then are bicyclists legally viewed as vehicles?

I'd be happier walking with the traffic whether motorized or not.
There've been MUPS I've ridden that prohibit motor vehicles for the safety of folks like yourself I trust. Bicyclists are universally welcomed as long as they behave themselves.
Old 09-21-23, 12:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Pedestrian... interesting etymology in that word. English is so grand a language what with many words having such disparate meanings depending on context.

You left out skateboarders, unicylers.

I maintain that if one's feet are involved – whether in contact with the ground / pavement or providing the means of propulsion to carry you along – you by definition are a pedestrian.

If instead there's another means of propulsion one benefits from, one is supposed to be in control of that 'vehicle' at all times and thus responsible for its effects on surroundings.

A helmsman in a sailboat's got his sails and tiller, a motorcycle rider's got his throttle and brakes. Walkers, bicyclists, rollerskaters and skateboarders all use their feet for propulsion after all, right? Why then are bicyclists legally viewed as vehicles?

There've been MUPS I've ridden that prohibit motor vehicles for the safety of folks like yourself I trust. Bicyclists are universally welcomed as long as they behave themselves.
What dictionary are you using?

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more
pe·des·tri·an
/pəˈdestrēən/
noun
  1. a person walking along a road or in a developed area.
    "the road is so dangerous pedestrians avoid it"
    Similar:
    walker

person on foot

hiker

rambler

stroller

wayfarer

footslogger

foot traveler

Opposite:
    driver

adjective
  1. lacking inspiration or excitement; dull.
    "disenchantment with their present, pedestrian lives"
Mine specifically says a person walking. My feet are involved when I drive a motor vehicle. So I guess I'm a pedestrian when I am the driver according to your qualification of the use.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pede...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by Iride01; 09-21-23 at 12:53 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-21-23, 01:01 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
pic
Dartmouth Football Coach Dies After Cycling Accident - Men's Journal | Cycling on Men's Journal (mensjournal.com)

Old 09-21-23, 01:26 PM
njkayaker

???

Whatever you happen to "maintain" is irrelevant. Basically no one is going to agree with that odd definition. That is, you have to conform with the definition other people use. Not your own peculiar private one.

"Pedestrian" is a synonym for "walker" (and often is broadened to include "runner"). It's not that hard.

A helmsman in a sailboat's got his sails and tiller, ...
Well, there are pedal boats and boats with foot-operated rudders too. Which, by your "definition", means these users walk on water (and, hence, become Jesus too).

Why then are bicyclists legally viewed as vehicles?
Bicyclists (human beings) are never "viewed as vehicles" (legally or otherwise).

Some states define bicycles as vehicles and some don't (I'd estimate it it as about half-and-half). Bicycles being or not being vehicles isn't that meaningful anyway. It's mostly an artifact of how the state traffic laws are written.

You should know that bicyclists are treated as drivers of vehicles (in every state) because, basically, they can travel much faster than pedestrians and it allows them to use the roadways like drivers of vehicles do.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-21-23 at 01:51 PM.