Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

45 Years Ago: May 1979 in Bicycling magazine

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-24, 11:15 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 3,617 Times in 1,027 Posts

Articles/columns included in this post are:
Bike Law: Fighting Crime with Bicycles
Bicycle Workshop: Monitoring Cycling Performance Indoors
Technical Q&A
Reflections:
Bicycles -- Tools for Peace (Publisher Robert Rodale)

The section "Long Distance Touring" is in Post #2.

Otherwise, let me know if you'd like to see something else listed in the ToC and I'll add it in a reply to this post or as a link to a pdf.

Cover photo (above). "Paul Boyer and daughter, Pia, of the Cascade Cycling Club, Seattle, Washington, prepare for some wet weather family touring on their modified Gitane tandem."

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 05-19-24, 11:19 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Old 05-19-24, 11:24 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 191 Posts
Going out on a limb to opine Jean-Claude does not, in fact, spend his spare time on a just 30 pounds Le Tour IV.

Seeing the cover photo my first thought was "hey, looks like Seattle" before reading the caption. The '20s house on slope even more than the rain. Won't try and name the neighborhood though. Okay, Ballard.

These are always fun, thanks!
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 05-19-24, 05:07 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,140 Posts
I rode with the Boyers back then. Delightful family. They had 3 tandems, one for the grown-ups, and two with kidbacks so Paul and Sally could captain with Izzy and Pia stoking. I have a fond memory of a ride where I came up next to one of the kidback tandems, stopped by the roadside. I did a trackstand while talking to them. The kid's (Pia or Izzy, don't remember) eyes got big and she said "you're magic!" Nicest thing anyone ever said about me. I guess she'd never seen a trackstand before.

Ack, those kids are in their 50s now? Where did the time go?

Sally used to make cycling clothes, which they sold under the brand name Wet Weather. Note the spats that Paul is wearing; I bought a pair of those which I used with a cycling cape for commuting. Since the cape keeps you dry from the rain, all you needed was spats for the spray off the front wheel, and you'd get to work completely dry. Goofy-looking yes, but when you're riding in a cape, you can't worry too much about fashion... Our team jerseys back then were from Wet Weather, not great by modern standards but Sally couldn't source the really good jersey material that the good Euro stuff was made with, just didn't exist in the US back then. So our team always looked slightly shabby until we switched to the excellent jerseys Jerry Baker brought in. Sorry Sally, you did your best!

Paul was (is?) a very good photographer, whose pics graced a number of Bicycling covers, as well as plenty inside the mag. Maybe Sally took this one though, unless Paul used a tripod and timer?
Old 05-19-24, 05:33 PM
SpeedofLite 

Originally Posted by bulgie
Paul was (is?) a very good photographer, whose pics graced a number of Bicycling covers, as well as plenty inside the mag. Maybe Sally took this one though, unless Paul used a tripod and timer?
Cool! I was hoping someone would recognize the riders on the cover and provide some background info. The photographer for the cover photograph was T. L. Gettings.

Old 05-20-24, 08:53 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 3,285 Posts

Weyerhaeuser makes one.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-26-24, 09:55 AM
mookzee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to say that bike travel bag looks pretty good!
Old 05-26-24, 12:37 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 1,965 Times in 884 Posts
Adventure Cycling Association (the current name of Bikecentennial) is still going strong, still focused on empowering bicycle travel, and is the largest national bicyclist membership organization in the US. They also do the hands-on management of the US Bicycle Route System on behalf of AASHTO.

(Disclosure: I'm a ACA Life Member and chaired the AASHTO Task Force on US Bicycle Routes from 2003-2017.)
Old 05-26-24, 12:41 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 1,965 Times in 884 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

Weyerhaeuser makes one.

A coin works as a screwdriver, but it's nice to have something with a bit more precision when needed. Same with this task. Of course, in using the Park and other types of frame persuasion tools, there have been a few times I have been sorely tempted to use the non-blue-coated areas for additional "percussive adjustment" when a frame was being ornery.
Old 05-26-24, 02:24 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Quoted: 5933 Post(s)
Liked 3,615 Times in 2,146 Posts
I have a touring bike from 1979, a Trek 510. It's a full Ishiwata 022 frame with an investment cast fork crown. I like early Treks and this is a fine riding machine set up more or less as a touring bike. The Eclipse bag in the 2d pic is from the 80s (and does not use the proprietary Eclipse mounting system). I rode the Northern Tier on a 1983 Trek 720 and the Transamerica is on my bucket list:

Likes For bikemig: