Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Converting to Ebike- Drum brake upgrade?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-21, 08:51 AM
Monkeh
Pain in the backside

Bikes: Giant 1000w Ebike self conversion, A collection of pashley prontos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,
1st post, so be kind.
I have a Pashley pronto, In fair condition. I am going to convert it to an E-bike.
I have converted mountain bikes to Ebikes in the past, so I have experience with the electronics and all the bits and pieces to go with it.

BUT-
Being the first Pashley I have got that's in reasonable nick, It has 70mm drum brakes on it.
I intend on upgrading the front to dynamo hubs for a commuter bike, Should I go 90mm drums all around? or will 70mm suffice?
I want to install a bafang crank driven motor on it, Mounting the battery on the rear pannier. I know from past experience brake upgrades are a must.

My daily in work is a Pronto (Orange, ex whistl), Rides like a dream, with 70mm drums, stops on the button, as a Pashley should.
This one? The brakes are a little vague, They do stop, but not as sharp. Should I bite the bullet and 90mm upgrade them?
Old 12-31-21, 09:05 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
Sounds like you already made up your mind. I would just see the 70mm were functioning perfectly by repairing as necessary..
Old 12-31-21, 03:49 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
For sure go 90 mm if you are changing to a dyno anyway. That fork is plenty stong.
Mine has 28,000 miles in 9 years, including 2 tours with the GVW at 290+ lbs. I just built a second front wheel the same and put the old one on a new Simcoe roadster.
I also have a SA X-RD3, that just isn't the same stopping as my SA XL-RD5w. The 3 is still great on the highway, very easy going.
Old 12-31-21, 04:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
I'd go by whatever you can find. Sturmey Archer makes a drum brake dynamo, I think. Maybe others too.

If you aren't changing the rear wheel, I'd probably leave it alone.