Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I yelled at a motorist today

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I yelled at a motorist today

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-22, 02:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked 5,639 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
Same here, but yesterday I was riding and a van towing a very large boat passed me at pretty high speed, the boat was very wide and came within inches of hitting me.
I could see a signal light ahead so I sprinted as he stopped for the light and pulled up to the drivers door and explained that he almost hit me and I would have been dead.
His response after a brief pause was Thank You. I took that as positive and went on my way. My emotions after a near death experience just took over.
How courteous of him to thank you for the information. You never know when it could turn really ugly.

I and my riding partner on our tandem were actually hit by a boat being towed by a van. A coincidence? The van came uncomfortably close and then the hull hit me and punted us into a shallow culvert. We were probably doing about 18 MPH and we came to a very abrupt stop. My right foot/ankle was knocked into the spokes and we both were pretty scraped up but thankfully no real injuries. The van and boat just kept on driving down the country road oblivious. About 10 minutes later two police cars came screaming by from the opposite direction and then an ambulance and a sheriff’s car. We said there must have been a bad accident behind us but we didn’t remember seeing one since there is pretty much one main road for miles. Another 10 minutes goes by and a police car pulls along side us and asks if we knew if cyclists were hit by a car. Uh, YES, that was us. He asked us to pull over and the ambulance arrived and we were checked out. We gave the cops a description of the van and boat but so much time had passed that it was fruitless. The cop said that in the case of car vs bike they call all area first responders, and evidently a motorist, who didn’t stop, called it in. He said this was the first time in his experience that cyclist were able to walk or ride away.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-13-22, 02:55 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
How courteous of him to thank you for the information. You never know when it could turn really ugly.

I and my riding partner on our tandem were actually hit by a boat being towed by a van. A coincidence? The van came uncomfortably close and then the hull hit me and punted us into a shallow culvert. We were probably doing about 18 MPH and we came to a very abrupt stop. My right foot/ankle was knocked into the spokes and we both were pretty scraped up but thankfully no real injuries. The van and boat just kept on driving down the country road oblivious. About 10 minutes later two police cars came screaming by from the opposite direction and then an ambulance and a sheriff’s car. We said there must have been a bad accident behind us but we didn’t remember seeing one since there is pretty much one main road for miles. Another 10 minutes goes by and a police car pulls along side us and asks if we knew if cyclists were hit by a car. Uh, YES, that was us. He asked us to pull over and the ambulance arrived and we were checked out. We gave the cops a description of the van and boat but so much time had passed that it was fruitless. The cop said that in the case of car vs bike they call all area first responders, and evidently a motorist, who didn’t stop, called it in. He said this was the first time in his experience that cyclist were able to walk or ride away.
I also ride tandem with my wife and this is always a concern. That day I was on my single bike thank god. Frankly I just didn't care if it turned ugly because I felt I was assaulted and almost killed.
There is a huge danger with vehicles towing boats and other wide loads. They don't realize how close to the edge of the road they come as they are passing.
Glad you are ok that sounds really scary.
Likes For jnbrown: