Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon road rim wheels for $135.66 and free shipping

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-22, 11:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts

36mm and 50mm

Not the lightest and no idea on the hub quality.
At the same time, this is around what Vuelta wheels from Nashbar were 4-5 years ago so it's a pretty small risk.

Listed 15% off code brings the cost down.
https://www.the-house.com/qpuc70036p...ub-bike-wheels
https://www.the-house.com/pc70050fhg...ub-bike-wheels
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-19-22, 06:49 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
And only 17mm rim width.
Old 12-19-22, 08:51 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Yes, 17mm internal and 24mm external.

I have 3 sets of wheels with H+Son Archetype rims which are 17.5mm internal and 23mm external and they are perfectly fine.
Dont look now, but farsports even offers a 16mm internal carbon rim. Prepare the fainting couch! https://www.wheelsfar.com/customize-...set-p0057.html
Old 12-19-22, 11:11 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
Is that an aluminum brake track?

People will hate on this stuff, but I bought a set of carbon Superteam wheels on Amazon a few years ago. I paid $325 for them, so not as cheap as these, but they're better than I expected. I figured with Amazon Prime if I got them and they were terrible, I could theoretically return them. I didn't have any issues though, and the wheels are actually pretty decent. I use them on an old rim-brake CX bike that I mess around on a pump track with, and do occasional casual rides with my kid. I have put around 1000 miles on them since, and haven't had to do anything to them during that time. They're still perfectly true, despite riding them on dirt jumps and screwing around in a park doing bunny hops and wheelies. My only complaint is that the rear hub is ridiculously loud.
Old 12-19-22, 12:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
I wouldn't ride a $135 wheelset, no matter what it's made of.

When wheels break, bad things can happen.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-19-22, 12:39 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,086 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Is that an aluminum brake track?

People will hate on this stuff, but I bought a set of carbon Superteam wheels on Amazon a few years ago. I paid $325 for them, so not as cheap as these, but they're better than I expected. I figured with Amazon Prime if I got them and they were terrible, I could theoretically return them. I didn't have any issues though, and the wheels are actually pretty decent. I use them on an old rim-brake CX bike that I mess around on a pump track with, and do occasional casual rides with my kid. I have put around 1000 miles on them since, and haven't had to do anything to them during that time. They're still perfectly true, despite riding them on dirt jumps and screwing around in a park doing bunny hops and wheelies. My only complaint is that the rear hub is ridiculously loud.
I know a few people who use Superteam wheels, and have had good experiences with them.
Old 12-19-22, 12:43 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,086 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I wouldn't ride a $135 wheelset, no matter what it's made of.

When wheels break, bad things can happen.
If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can spend more money for the same wheels here... https://www.framedbikes.com/products...-wheelset-700c

EDIT: Or direct from the Manufacturer... https://pubwheels.com/collections/ro...-road-wheelset

Last edited by Eric F; 12-19-22 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-19-22, 12:46 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Eric F
If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can spend more money for the same wheels here... https://www.framedbikes.com/products...-wheelset-700c
I guess I'm risk averse when it comes to such things. I still wouldn't ride them. They may be just fine, but I'm happy to pay more money for a brand that has a reputation to protect.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-19-22, 01:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
I learned my lesson as a kid when I ordered a "Swiss Army" knife for an unbelievably low price. It was pure crap, but I still have it to remind me to never fall for that again.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-19-22, 02:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I learned my lesson as a kid when I ordered a "Swiss Army" knife for an unbelievably low price. It was pure crap, but I still have it to remind me to never fall for that again.
At what price would you allow yourself to purchase a 'good deal' carbon rim wheelset? $400? $800? $1200?
Not arguing here- your example should ring true for anyone who has purchased things in life. But there is a point where everyone is willing to take a risk, so just curious what yours is.
Old 12-19-22, 03:22 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
I just bought my second set of superteam wheels. Would buy a third but the Madone has a decent bontrager wheel set.

I can’t justify spending 2500 dollars plus on a wheelset. Maybe one day, but not today.
Old 12-19-22, 04:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
At what price would you allow yourself to purchase a 'good deal' carbon rim wheelset? $400? $800? $1200?
I can't answer that question without knowing what the 'good deal' wheel set is. It's more about the wheels than the price.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-19-22, 05:48 PM
Koyote

Not arguing here- your example should ring true for anyone who has purchased things in life. But there is a point where everyone is willing to take a risk, so just curious what yours is.
That's an interesting thought experiment. The $135 wheels are sooo inexpensive that the main risk is being stranded -- or, even worse, having a wheel collapse while riding. As the price rises, my confidence in the wheels may rise, but they become less of a bargain -- and the price differential vis-a-vis 'name brand' wheels gets smaller.

I suspect that much of this is based in a couple factors: a person's financial resources, and their experience. I must have the money for an expensive name-brand wheelset, because I just bought one. And my experience with inexpensive off-brand wheels, though almost twenty years ago, was unfavorable -- I got stranded three times before giving up on them.

In the end, I also must agree with TC's point, below:

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I can't answer that question without knowing what the 'good deal' wheel set is. It's more about the wheels than the price.
Old 12-19-22, 06:41 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
A couple of points:

1) I would not trust wheels made by a brand nobody has ever heard of. Who the heck is Pub?

2) If you check the weights of those wheels, you can get a good alloy wheel with good quality name brand parts at those weights or even lighter.
Old 12-19-22, 07:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,018 Posts
The House Dot Com seems to have some Insane Deals on bike components. In the past month I have bought: (a) an Easton EA90 stem 100 mm ($22), (b) a pair of Shimano 105 BR-5800 rim brake calipers ($50), and (c) a pair of Shimano 105 ST-R7000 STI levers ($198), each with an additional 15% off. The first two items were the last unit of each in stock; the item disappeared from the website as soon as I placed my order. The last is en route right now and is still available. My conjecture (based on the foregoing and on the limited selection) is that this store may be exiting the bike business. While I would not hesitate to order components made by reputable manufacturers (such as those I had ordered), I might have second thoughts about buying unknown wheels from a store if that were the case.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 12-19-22 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-19-22, 09:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Koyote
That's an interesting thought experiment. The $135 wheels are sooo inexpensive that the main risk is being stranded -- or, even worse, having a wheel collapse while riding. As the price rises, my confidence in the wheels may rise, but they become less of a bargain -- and the price differential vis-a-vis 'name brand' wheels gets smaller.

I suspect that much of this is based in a couple factors: a person's financial resources, and their experience. I must have the money for an expensive name-brand wheelset, because I just bought one. And my experience with inexpensive off-brand wheels, though almost twenty years ago, was unfavorable -- I got stranded three times before giving up on them.

In the end, I also must agree with TC's point, below:
What if the wheels were $700 marked down to $135 because they are effectively overstock in an unused setup moving forward? These had been priced at $700 on Pub's site. Pub is just a component brand of Framed, like a Oval is to Fuji.

I bought a set because I thought it'd be fun to try out. If they end up being good, I got a steal. If they suck, I paid very little and they will have met my pessimistic expectations. It's a relatively low investment, financially speaking.
Yes they could explode, no I am not at all worried they will explode.
They will be on a road bike that is basically a backup to the current backup to my main road bike. In other words, not used much, unless that bike becomes my first backup...then it'll go from being used not much to being used a little.

I've been considering some btlos wheels for my main road bike, but the wheelset I have has been so darn reliable and we'll spec'd, there really hasn't been justification to buy some btlos carbon wheels for it.

If these ride like $700 wheels, I will be happy since the wheelset I was going to use is a few hundred grams heavier.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-19-22, 09:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Lombard
A couple of points:

1) I would not trust wheels made by a brand nobody has ever heard of. Who the heck is Pub?

2) If you check the weights of those wheels, you can get a good alloy wheel with good quality name brand parts at those weights or even lighter.
Pub is just a house brand for components under The framed bike brand. It's like Oval and Fuji. These were $700 until they dropped the price to move out old stock inventory that is no longer needed since it's a legacy eesign(130qr rim brake).

Yes a good alloy wheelset will be lighter. I have multiple quality alloy wheelset that weigh the same or less.
Old 12-19-22, 10:00 PM
Koyote

What if the wheels were $700 marked down to $135 because they are effectively overstock in an unused setup moving forward?
If they sell 'em for $135, they are $135 wheels. Doesn't matter what price was originally printed on the sticker.

I hope they work for you -- they'll probably be fine.
Old 12-19-22, 10:25 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
I found this on the Pub Wheel website in the About Us section:

“Our ‘stock’ (still hand built in MN) carbon wheelsets. They’ll be built by a master wheel builder who’s pedigree includes over 30 years in the industry. He’s been a sponsored cyclist, he’s worked in the Shimano Pro Road Pits, and spent the last 22 years dedicated to wheel building. We pair our knowledge about wheel building with our knowledge about you for a truly game changing experience.”
Old 12-19-22, 10:50 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
$135 barely covers 72 high quality spokes from a bike shop supplier at cost.

Try as I might, I can't think of a way to make this pencil out with budget everything at wholesale rates. Somebody, somewhere had to get paid.

I'd sooner run automated, machine built, Formula cup & cone freewheel hubs with cheddar cheese bearings & straight 14 gage spokes on Zac 19 rims. At least then I'd know what I'm getting.

1600 grams? For 1? Wow.

Last edited by base2; 12-19-22 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-20-22, 12:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by base2
$135 barely covers 72 high quality spokes from a bike shop supplier at cost.

Try as I might, I can't think of a way to make this pencil out with budget everything at wholesale rates. Somebody, somewhere had to get paid.

I'd sooner run automated, machine built, Formula cup & cone freewheel hubs with cheddar cheese bearings & straight 14 gage spokes on Zac 19 rims. At least then I'd know what I'm getting.

1600 grams? For 1? Wow.
Good lord.

- its clearance. Items on clearance may be sold for a small profit, break even cost, or a loss. These were sold for a higher price before the clearance...hence the term clearance.
- these have 44 spokes. Your comment about 72 spokes is of little consequence here because these have fewer spokes and a wheel company will procure spokes at a lower cost than an ibd.
- they are wheels that are rim brake, QR, and 130mm. They don't fit into the brand's lineup anymore, so they are being cleared out. This is from the company. Not sure if these are leftover warranty wheels or what.
- why so you think 1 wheel weighs 1600g?

This thread was just a psa in case anyone wants to try the wheels. Clearly you aren't interested, and that's cool, but at least be on the same page as the discussion because you seem to not follow the details.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-20-22, 12:56 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Impulse buy accepted. NM both items show up as sold out.
Old 12-20-22, 01:29 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,638 Times in 2,921 Posts
Found this on these wheels: https://www.roadbikereview.com/threa...review.381553/

Old 12-20-22, 08:03 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
1600 grams? For 1? Wow.
LOL! No, that's for the pair.

Irrelevant because both pairs are now sold out.
Old 12-20-22, 09:36 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Good lord.

- its clearance. Items on clearance may be sold for a small profit, break even cost, or a loss. These were sold for a higher price before the clearance...hence the term clearance.
- these have 44 spokes. Your comment about 72 spokes is of little consequence here because these have fewer spokes and a wheel company will procure spokes at a lower cost than an ibd.
- they are wheels that are rim brake, QR, and 130mm. They don't fit into the brand's lineup anymore, so they are being cleared out. This is from the company. Not sure if these are leftover warranty wheels or what.
- why so you think 1 wheel weighs 1600g?

This thread was just a psa in case anyone wants to try the wheels. Clearly you aren't interested, and that's cool, but at least be on the same page as the discussion because you seem to not follow the details.
Originally Posted by Lombard
LOL! No, that's for the pair.

Irrelevant because both pairs are now sold out.
Something smelled fishy. That's all.
A savvy shop owner would've broke them down & sold the hoops & DT 240's at cost as customer returns rather than the whole thing as a loss. Or given it to an employee & taken the tax benefit as a charitable contribution or counted it as inventory shrinkage at full value or some other means.

There is a such thing as "too cheap."

As a guy in meatspace, the cyberspace end gave red flags of scam. Lord knows what my credit card number would sell for on the Schwarz Market.

Car dependency is a tax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.