Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-23, 04:42 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,762 Times in 635 Posts
Fairly nice weather today finally got some new tires on the Schwinn GSX. Went for short local ride still snow and ice in a lot of places and mud and slush.

Actual clear dry section of bike trail first time in about 6 months.
Old 04-03-23, 06:03 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Wow!

20+ mph head winds today, gusting to over 40 mph, made for slow going while northbound. When I got to the bike path section of my ride, sand was blowing in wave after wave. You could see and feel and taste the airborne sand. I cut the ride short by a few miles, turned around and headed back because of that sand.

While southbound with a tailwind, I was going 20-25 mph (52X16 at ~90rpm). A woman sitting in her parked car decided to exit her vehicle just as I was passing. After I came alongside her car, the driver's door came flying open . I have not come so close in a very long time.

I was able to avoid a collision only because of the very quick, almost twitchy, handling of this bike. I had to spot the door, react and get the bike to move 3 feet to the left in a couple tenths of a second (0.2 sec => 7 ft).

So close! So very close!

I slowed to a crawl and looked back. She didn't give a crap and was just walking away. No wave, no "sorry!", nothing. I wonder if she even knows what she did.

BE SAFE OUT THERE PEOPLE.
I've been pretty good at spotting occupied cars from the street side. On a ride in Alameda, CA, along the beach, there is a separated bike lane with the parked cars between it and the street. Nothing like a car load of little kids flinging the doors open and running across with their assorted beach toys. Live and learn for everyone involved.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 04-03-23, 06:03 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 555 Posts
I haven't posted here much lately because I haven't ridden much lately due to weather, sickness/cold, and work overload. However, I'm on Spring Break this week and hoping to catch up on some riding. Today I got out for a short but hilly ride into the Oakland/Berkeley Hills via Montclair, Snake Road climb, and then looped back home via Grizzley Peak Rd. and down Euclid--a total of about 24 miles and 2,300' climbing. Cool & breezy day with nice clear views of the bay.

Lake Temescal Park in Oakland

Climb up Snake Road with footbridge above

Gratuitous (and repetitive) photo of the bay

Old 04-04-23, 05:46 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 555 Posts
Today I rode out along the SF Bay Trail toward Point Richmond--an out & back plus a couple of little loops for a total of about 25 flat miles. A beautiful sunny day in the mid-50s with a mild breeze.

Along the way, I stopped at Ed Litton's shop. I haven't been able to identify my mystery blue frame, and it was suggested Ed Litton may be able to shed some light on a possible builder. Alas, he wasn't sure, but he did graciously welcome me into his shop unannounced and we shared a friendly chat.

The next stop was Raymond's Pizzaria in Point Richmond for a slice of pepperoni and a pint of Pliny the Elder DIPA.

Here is a view of the Point Richmond Tunnel.

The SF Bay Trail runs along the Richmond Marina and some nice stretches of beach and marshland.

The fellow was unafraid.

One last parting shot
Old 04-05-23, 02:16 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Finally something other than beach and Pacific Ocean.
out and back from my Brother’s house in Red Oak TX to a bridge over the Trinity River on East Belt Line Road. On the Strava heat map, it is very hot along a stretch of the river near this bridge. I didn’t see anything resembling a trail but I also didn’t venture far off the road because my brother says, “water moccasins” a lot.
edit: this is my new Zero Bike.

Bluebonnet festival was a couple weeks back.

Why did they need a new bridge?

The Trinity River.

Today, I was on low traffic roads like y’all ride every day.

Last edited by Classtime; 04-05-23 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-05-23, 03:28 PM
zookster 

Bikes: 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento, 1965 Schwinn Racer 3-speed, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 2013 Giant Seek 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 199 Posts
Another trip to Black Creek Park, this time on my High Sierra. Did a little road riding off the trail and visited an old cemetery I had only been to on my motorcycle previously.

The abandoned trestle over New Castle Rd

The road to the old cemetery

One of the many headstones for a member of the Hodges family

Sign for a town near the western end of the rail trail

In the Bark Park
Likes For zookster:
Old 04-05-23, 10:07 PM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 118 Posts
That's a lovely day on the bike

Originally Posted by gaucho777
Today I rode out along the SF Bay Trail toward Point Richmond--an out & back plus a couple of little loops for a total of about 25 flat miles. A beautiful sunny day in the mid-50s with a mild breeze.

Along the way, I stopped at Ed Litton's shop. I haven't been able to identify my mystery blue frame, and it was suggested Ed Litton may be able to shed some light on a possible builder. Alas, he wasn't sure, but he did graciously welcome me into his shop unannounced and we shared a friendly chat.

The next stop was Raymond's Pizzaria in Point Richmond for a slice of pepperoni and a pint of Pliny the Elder DIPA.

Here is a view of the Point Richmond Tunnel.

The SF Bay Trail runs along the Richmond Marina and some nice stretches of beach and marshland.

The fellow was unafraid.

One last parting shot
Call me very jealous!
Likes For bironi:
Old 04-06-23, 12:39 PM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 97 Posts
Ride with the Trek 930, built in 1993. Thirty years old and still going strong... The evening sun put out some garlands. Happy, blessed Easter days everyone!

Likes For LucasHartong:
Old 04-06-23, 04:41 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,483 Times in 3,207 Posts
I was out sorta looking for the Troll yesterday before they move it to its new home in Bellevue. Got turned around and instead found Lenin with ... blood on his hands?

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-07-23, 10:49 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
edit: this is my new Zero Bike.

Bluebonnet festival was a couple weeks back.
So much color, I guess the rains have brightened thinks up.

I have been around here for awhile but never heard of a Zero Bike, what is this? N +1 - 1 maybe?
Old 04-07-23, 12:12 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by Kobe
So much color, I guess the rains have brightened thinks up.

I have been around here for awhile but never heard of a Zero Bike, what is this? N +1 - 1 maybe?
The zero bike is the bike kept off site and outa sight. This one is kept at my brothers so I only have 6 bikes plus this 0 = 6.
Old 04-07-23, 01:50 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 532 Posts
I've been off the bike for a few weeks with cracked ribs, but today I couldn't resist getting out. Its Easter holidays here in the UK, and after many false starts and a winter that seemed to drag on and on, today the sun was out and it felt like spring in finally here to stay. I've had 2 recent bike builds I'd barely had a chance to ride before getting injured, so split today into two rides, the first being on my new ti hardtail MTB.

I don't have any mountains in central London to play on, but I did find some steps to roll down and jump off in the shadow of a sun soaked St Paul's Cathedral.

My ribs remind me I really shouldn't be goofing about to this extent yet, so I rein in my urges and let the fat tyres give me a sofa soft ride over London's pox marked streets. At the top of the steps is a memorial titled 'Blitz' in memory of the firefighters who gave their lives defending the nation in WW2. It has a quote from Winston Churchill, "the heroes with grimy faces", which could be tweaked for use in the C&V bike community, for we are the heroes with grimy fingers.

The early flowering trees were making most of the sunshine too as the concrete and glass jungle gets enhanced with some summer color.

After months of rain hammering on our heads, windows and glasses, its a nice change to leave the house without any wet weather gear.

A brief moment of traffic free bliss in Finsbury Circus.

Some nice old apartments in Shoreditch.

I then cross back south of the Thames for lunch at home and a bike and clothes change, before heading out on the plastic fantastic for some fast road riding and to test out my first Satnav ahead of a trip to Italy in a few months, where I'll have absolutely no idea where I'm going. I don't need any turn by turn directions in London as I know my way around, so its just on speedo duties and ride tracking duties today, but compared to the uncluttered cockpits on my other bikes it all seems very Buck Rogers and the 21st Century to me.

It peaked at 15c today, so this afternoons ride was the first of the year in shorts and short sleeves, after that long sun deprived winter the legs and arms are too dazzling white and unhealthy looking to be captured on camera so I'll spare you that sight. Didn't stop for many pics on this run as was having too much just riding fast, the whiter than white knees were a blur, this thing be rapid.

And now the clocks have changed its light until nearly 8pm at the moment, and we will keep getting longer and longer days for the next few months so we can really make the most of summer riding. My final pic of the day passing through the long shadows of the early evening sun in Brompton cemetery.
Old 04-07-23, 02:19 PM
botty kayer

And following on from the darkmoon 's Japanese cherry tree pics, I was reading this week about Colingwood 'Cherry' Ingram, a British ornithologist, plant collector and gardener, who lived to be over 100 years old and was an authority on Japanese flowering cherries. He helped re-introduce a variety of cherry to Japan that was thought to be lost, a variety that he'd recalled seeing in a English garden. More info here; https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...apans-blossoms

I particularly liked his quote on the western industrialization resulting in a "violent aesthetic indigestion", which I'll use as a devastating put down of the bike of the next cyclist that pulls out in front of me without looking

And here's a pic of my bike in a cherry tree near my home, from earlier in the week before the sun showed up.
Old 04-07-23, 02:44 PM
botty kayer

...and why Cherry Ingram turned his back on ornithology and pursued plants was funny too “When the editor of one of the world’s premier ornithological journals deemed it of sufficient interest to publish a paper in which the author recorded the number of times a great tit defecated every 24 hours, I came to the conclusion that it was high time I occupied my thoughts with some other aspect of nature. I chose plants.”

I wonder what he'd make of Youtube and Tiktok
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 04-07-23, 03:39 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
My final pic of the day passing through the long shadows of the early evening sun in Brompton cemetery.
So that's where they go when they break...
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-07-23, 04:40 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,762 Times in 635 Posts
First seasonally warm day of Spring here in the Rockies was still zero degrees in the early morning but it warmed up to 50. So I took my first long climb of the season up Beaver Creek road out of Fairplay about a 600 foot climb over 5 miles. Nice dry road at the start but still mud snow and ice at the top had to walk it for about a have mile then a nice clear ride down to the bike trail which was nice clear tarmac.

A bunch of snow and slush just before I got to the pretty much walked some of this section.

The view along the top section was great.

Last edited by zukahn1; 04-07-23 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-08-23, 02:17 PM
botty kayer

Not as sunny as yesterday, but no rain in the UK for 2 days running on a public holiday is considered a win by our standards.
And with no hint of any rain the shiny Italian bikes can come out of hibernation.

After spending most of winter indoors this bike seems desperate to seek out some other bright colors to hang with.

We swing past founder of the Methodists John Wesley's chapel and house on City Road, which is now a museum.

But to make the Italian feel more at home I swing past St Peter's Italian church in Clerkenwell, which is modeled on and is a scaled down version of Basilica San Crisogono in Rome.

And to keep on the Italian theme a Roman style arch leading into some swanky west end mews.

And the final stop before home is not Italian but a nice spot nonetheless, Bonnington Square garden

Back home for pasta and a Peroni, and we are forecast another sunny day tomorrow, fantastica!

Looking forward to tomorrow as I'm meeting up with mate to watch my favorite 1 day bike race of the year on TV, Paris Roubaix, the cobbled classic.
Old 04-09-23, 01:32 AM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Molteni 2005, Colnago Master X-light Mapei 2020

Liked 733 Times in 208 Posts
And following on from the darkmoon 's Japanese cherry tree pics, I was reading this week about Colingwood 'Cherry' Ingram, a British ornithologist, plant collector and gardener, who lived to be over 100 years old and was an authority on Japanese flowering cherries. He helped re-introduce a variety of cherry to Japan that was thought to be lost, a variety that he'd recalled seeing in a English garden. More info here; https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...apans-blossoms

I particularly liked his quote on the western industrialization resulting in a "violent aesthetic indigestion", which I'll use as a devastating put down of the bike of the next cyclist that pulls out in front of me without looking

And here's a pic of my bike in a cherry tree near my home, from earlier in the week before the sun showed up.
Hmmm, just beautiful
Likes For darkmoon:
Old 04-09-23, 01:38 AM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Not as sunny as yesterday, but no rain in the UK for 2 days running on a public holiday is considered a win by our standards.
And with no hint of any rain the shiny Italian bikes can come out of hibernation.

After spending most of winter indoors this bike seems desperate to seek out some other bright colors to hang with.

Back home for pasta and a Peroni, and we are forecast another sunny day tomorrow, fantastica!

Looking forward to tomorrow as I'm meeting up with mate to watch my favorite 1 day bike race of the year on TV, Paris Roubaix, the cobbled classic.

Brit grafitti/mural artists know what spray paints can do, how to paint with them, and spray paints effects.
Likes For darkmoon:
Old 04-09-23, 02:01 AM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Weekend rec ride.

First, Mt. Fuji view point.
I can see her slightly today.

The cherry blossom until the last week was Someiyoshino, major species.
They are over this weekend.

The drive way of Isogo Country Club golf course.
They are hazakura now, cherry trees shooting out new leaves .
They'll be beautiful tree canopies.

Oooka gawa.
They'll be tree canopies, too.

From this weekend, yae-zakura, double-flowered cherry blossoms weeks.
A short stretch of yae-zakura, only 5 trees.

Another cherry blossom house.
This house is new, about 10 years or so.

Last edited by darkmoon; 04-09-23 at 02:40 AM.
Likes For darkmoon:
Old 04-09-23, 02:35 AM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Weekend rec ride, part 2.

There are no cherry blossoms, but the hedge and moss pink are beautiful.

I don't like hills, just like you guys, hahaha.
But this straight hill is different.
Beautiful.
The green shrubbery line will be beautiful.
I'll show you 2 weeks later or so.

kaizuka ibuki, Chinese juniper, juniperus chinesis 'Kaizuka'.
Beautifully trimmed and shaped.
It looks like a cypress.

Keisan-ji temple, founded 1624.
This temple is very beautiful.
I always passed the temple and didn't know it's very beautiful.

Admission free

The main gate

The wall and azalea hedge on the left of the main gate.

The main building

Its garden

On the right

On the left

On the left, near the main gate
Oh, there is an evergreen magnolia!

Last edited by darkmoon; 04-09-23 at 03:12 AM.
Old 04-09-23, 06:34 AM
Adamdavidaudio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
First ride in the new neighborhood! Stopped at an art gallery and Indeed Brewery where they let me borrow a screwdriver to get my bike lock mount installed.
Likes For Adamdavidaudio:
Old 04-09-23, 01:03 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts

Quick 18 miles on Easter Sunday with our dog Casper
Likes For malcala622:
Old 04-09-23, 05:49 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 161 Posts
Finally some nice weather in northern Michigan. Went for a 25 mile jaunt on Old Mission peninsula. Not too horrid, but fought calf cramps for the last ten miles. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Rear sew-up was a bit spongy when I got home, so I'm off to Brick Wheels tomorrow for some Stans.
Likes For MooneyBloke:
Old 04-09-23, 05:54 PM
Bergz
Bergz

Bikes: Woodrup, Avanti, no-name

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 51 Posts
Monday morning ride to Kohatu again... Cool after overnight rain and gently uphill with a slight headwind.
. Stopped for a picture at the turnaround and saw it was under a walnut tree so a quick forage before speedier ride home.

Vehicle ford on a side road, didn't go this way today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.