Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What will be the last high level mechanical shifter?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-23, 10:02 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts

This isn’t about what you think is more elegant. Or reliable. Or serviceable in Guatemala 🇬🇹 r whatever.

Its simply a question, too broad to be a poll, about what you think the last great high end mechanical group will be? Are they all doomed? Or will one find a niche, just like the Blockbuster video in Bend, OR and survive.

Immediately, I’ll dismiss all road groups from the big 3. They’re all electric and may soon not have any mechanical counterparts.

Mountain groups have more mechanical options but they’re trickling into electrical.

There are currently 2 gravel groups. Campagnolo Ekar and new unreleased 12s GRX that are mechanical. Are these the last of the breed?

Will Microshift and TRP and others little guys become sufficiently high end for the cable pulling crowd?

Will there be an electric shifting crash? What are 20 year old used bikes going to look like in 19 years?

I’m not judging electric shifting. For my riding, I rode a wireless Archer system for the last year and a half but am switching it back to mechanical (Ekar) because I couldn’t reach the shifter from the drops and wanted a 13s cassette. My mountain is mechanical and the NX group on it knows that it’s one missed shift from the AXS upgrade kit.
Old 06-10-23, 10:22 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
My (half-serious) conspiracy theory of shifting is that they pushed it a little bit too far with 12-speed, and it is simply too finicky to shift well mechanically, so they really have to have electronic 12+-speed shifting going forward, in order to have the reliability everyone expects from the top of the line components. The SRAM hangerless transmission is also best understood in those terms.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-10-23, 10:36 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Depends on what you call high end. All levels of groups shift well enough already. You're just paying for lighter/more durable components and bling as you move up the ladder.
Old 06-10-23, 10:51 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
If the question is just about operational survival, likely a friction shifter of some kind. If the question is about still being manufactured with, a relatively high usage likely going to be an off brand, i.e., Microshift. As seypat stated, depends on perception of what high level is. It appears it will not be one of Shimano's top 3 levels. However, most top tier components are going to be available for many years.
Old 06-10-23, 10:53 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by seypat
Depends on what you call high end. All levels of groups shift well enough already. You're just paying for lighter/more durable components and bling as you move up the ladder.

This has become a more legitimate question in recent times. There was a time when things like Sora and Tiagrawere just so bad that no such argument could be made.

Ill concede your point.

For the purposes of this thread, I’m thinking 105, Rival, or Chorus approximately.

That determination makes even less sense once you think about mountain bike and gravel groups.

Let’s say mid tier, stuff that’s nice enough that the companies would give it their full effort, even if it’s not their best stuff.
Old 06-10-23, 10:58 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by delbiker1
If the question is just about operational survival, likely a friction shifter of some kind. If the question is about still being manufactured with, a relatively high usage likely going to be an off brand, i.e., Microshift. As seypat stated, depends on perception of what high level is. It appears it will not be one of Shimano's top 3 levels. However, most top tier components are going to be available for many years.
I have mechanical groups from the 80’s that still work. That’s not my question.

I want to know what the last brand new mechanical group will be. A fancy one that wouldn’t be out of place on a fancy new bike.
Old 06-10-23, 11:06 AM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts

I want to know what the last brand new mechanical group will be. A fancy one that wouldn’t be out of place on a fancy new bike.
I'd guess it'll be something from Rene Herse or Rivendell.
Likes For nick_a:
Old 06-10-23, 11:08 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
What are 20 year old used bikes going to look like in 19 years?
39 year old used bikes?
Old 06-10-23, 11:24 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
39 year old used bikes?
A 2022 bike in 19 years.

Even kept indoors, batteries don’t last forever. Will there be compatible replacements? It makes me wonder if there is going to be a more massive depreciation, not unlike old electronics.

Im the furthest thing from a retro-grouch. Just musing.
Old 06-10-23, 11:32 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by nick_a
I'd guess it'll be something from Rene Herse or Rivendell.
Ooh, like a Velo Orange or something.

I could see that. A highly polished brand new group for retro-mods but not actually offering new technology. That’s a different take than something like GRX or Ekar with hydraulic brakes, clutches, and 1x.
Old 06-10-23, 11:37 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

Upper end Microshift and it's clones. Maybe the last DA mechanical group, whateverthat is or was.
Old 06-10-23, 12:27 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
I'd suggest that if you find a setup that you like, lay in some spares.

The Campagnolo brifters can be repaired and the wear parts like the spring and ratchet wheel are available still.

for friction / downtube, the Campagnolo "doppler" shifters paired with a mid year rear derailleur are very hard to beat. I have such a setup on one of my bikes and it is a delight to operated.

or the Riv "silver" retrofriction shifters.

/markp

Old 06-10-23, 12:50 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 1,058 Posts
Fun fact: a 1923 Sturmey-Archer three-speed (indexed) shifter will index shift a 2023 Sturmey-Archer chain pull three-speed hub.
Old 06-10-23, 12:57 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Fun fact: a 1923 Sturmey-Archer three-speed (indexed) shifter will index shift a 2023 Sturmey-Archer chain pull three-speed hub.
Terrible business planning.

/s
Old 06-10-23, 01:12 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Ooh, like a Velo Orange or something.

I could see that. A highly polished brand new group for retro-mods but not actually offering new technology. That’s a different take than something like GRX or Ekar with hydraulic brakes, clutches, and 1x.
I think the current reality is already well beyond that. RH have produced a new RD and it does use new technology, at least for mechanical derailleurs. Dual cable pull, no return spring, direct cable run and a new dropout on the chain stay to attach it. Interestingly, it is in a sense mimicking the new dual pull tech of electronic derailleurs.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/nive...eurs-are-here/

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 06-10-23, 01:20 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
More importantly, will the shifters (assuming they are in the brake levers) support rim brakes??

I am afraid we have reached/passed “peak cable shifting/braking.”

I hope that’s not true.

Answer to OP question is Dura-Ace R9100. I could not afford it so I bought Ultegra R8000, which is also a good choice. Both have been supplanted by electric/hydraulic shifting/braking.
Old 06-10-23, 01:24 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Won't be a "last". Once every road bike has electric, they will come out with a new mechanical option to sell to those who seemingly always want to have the next shiny object. Or once people need to start paying $2500 to replace a nearly new condition, though chronologically a few years old, mech whose batteries went bad and no new batteries are made.
Old 06-10-23, 02:00 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
Originally Posted by stevel610
Won't be a "last". Once every road bike has electric, they will come out with a new mechanical option to sell to those who seemingly always want to have the next shiny object. Or once people need to start paying $2500 to replace a nearly new condition, though chronologically a few years old, mech whose batteries went bad and no new batteries are made.
Likely true. Something like the friction brifters that are being developed. Whatever the components become, they are too late for me.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-10-23, 03:53 PM
tyrion

Electric will dominate racing, but I think even the Big 3 will realize there's a large market of performance oriented people that aren't chasing the marginal gains to the extent of worrying about batteries and charging. If the Big 3 abandon that market it leaves a bigger opening for the smaller players (TRP, Microshift, etc.), and Shim/SRAM/Campy do not want that bigger opening.
Old 06-10-23, 04:05 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Being a mostly Shimano user for the majority of my biking resume' years, I never really invested in much Campy. But now that Campy mechanical groups seem to be going away I started doing a search Campy disc specific mechanical group parts and when I checked Merlin UK they appear to be sold out of the Chorus, Record and Super Record mechanical disc components now. Could anyone suggest other online suppliers that still are stocking mechanical campagnolo disc specific road components?

I have a titanium frame that has a sandblasted "Campagnolo" logo on the seat tube. It was built up that way custom for a bike trade show that the builder took it to. It (my Wittson Illuminati #2) will most likely be be built up with components other than Campy. Unless that is, unless someone could point me to a vendor that still has some in stock.
Old 06-10-23, 04:30 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
I think we’ve already seen the last high-end mechanical gruppo in Campagnolo Ekar. It innovated with 13spd, but I don’t think we’ll see any more innovation in the mechanical group ranges from any of the drivetrain brands from here on out. That’s not to say mechanical groups will go away or won’t get better, only that one will never be a top-of-range offering again from a prestigious maker at premium pricing. So sure, LTWOO or Microshift might do improved mechanical gruppos in the future, but I doubt they’ll ever be considered “high end.”
Old 06-10-23, 04:49 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by masi61
Being a mostly Shimano user for the majority of my biking resume' years, I never really invested in much Campy. But now that Campy mechanical groups seem to be going away I started doing a search Campy disc specific mechanical group parts and when I checked Merlin UK they appear to be sold out of the Chorus, Record and Super Record mechanical disc components now. Could anyone suggest other online suppliers that still are stocking mechanical campagnolo disc specific road components?

I have a titanium frame that has a sandblasted "Campagnolo" logo on the seat tube. It was built up that way custom for a bike trade show that the builder took it to. It (my Wittson Illuminati #2) will most likely be be built up with components other than Campy. Unless that is, unless someone could point me to a vendor that still has some in stock.
https://www.wiggle.com/us/c/cycle/bi...ame=Campagnolo
Likes For tyrion:
Old 06-10-23, 05:31 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912

or the Riv "silver" retrofriction shifters.

/markp
Isn't that shifter a ratchet shifter, not retro-friction? I thought it was a prettied up SunTour Power Ratchet with much finer ratchet teeth (many more clicks) so it can handle the narrower cog spacings. (I'm seriously thinking about asking TiCycles to make the "box" that sits on top of the DT (like a Symmetric) and buying a pair. I hate the usual DT shifters because I hit the right one with my knee on really steep hills. As small cogs get smaller, this becomes less fun.)
Old 06-10-23, 06:05 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
splitting hairs here but yeah the Riv Silvers are ratcheting

The Campy Dopplers are true retro friction

tomato tomahto

/markp
Old 06-10-23, 06:17 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
One more time...
https://www.campagnolo.com/us-en/roa...cal-groupsets/

Campagnolo's web site still lists mechanical rim brake and hydraulic disc brake group sets at the Super Record level in addition to the new wireless Super Record group set. The wired Super Record electronic has been discontinued.

For my recent build the choice of Ekar for a road bike was pretty easy from a price / weight / performance point of view. I have an older Chorus EPS, and if a Chorus level electronic group had been available I would have gone with it, but I just couldn't see spending an extra $4,000 (I had an Ekar crank sitting around) to get the electronic Super Record.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.