Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weekend Rides - April 16/17/18

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Weekend Rides - April 16/17/18

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 09:43 PM
TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful weekend. Both days of it.

I ride early in the morning, so that I can still get other things done. This was the first weekend this year that I have been able to go out without the helmet liner and in short finger gloves.

Wonderful.

Spring is bursting out all over.

Saturday.

Sunday

A friend

A better friend

A good weekend.

Now back to reality.
Old 04-18-10, 09:59 PM
seanthebear

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Bianchi mongrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in Taiwan so my weekend was spent at the Tour of East Taiwan (Hualien-Taidong-Hualien). Completed 380 kms over two days. First in from my club on Saturday, last in on Sunday as the gates were closing thanks to two punctures and no one telling me the start time was moved to 5.30 am! But averaged 26 km/hr over the 2 days in my first ever event so quite happy.
Old 04-18-10, 10:52 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Another forum member said I should do "more" interviews with the riders, ride style, places etc. So today was an experiment to see if in fact people would let me interview them or even wanted to say anything. Didn't go well haha! Not even our friends at Del Taco had anything to say other than "here's your bacon and egg quesadilla". Did run into MTBLrkr as he snuck up on us right before the coast. A quick visit with Lucas and Mr. Dawes, Nice Guy Bob and The Legend Greg from the Haircut Crew.

Our buddy "Adela" had nothing to say haha!

Typical response to the interview question. Even Gina went to hide behind the MTBLrkr

Even Lucas stopped by on one of his 7 or 8 wheelsets!

Asked to interview, Nice Guy Bob just laughed at me!

The Legend Greg, nothing to say, he's just cool!

Mr. Dawes

Gina, I just put her there cause I like her!

Tammy telling Alan what matching outfits they WILL WEAR NEXT!

Alan sent me for a loop around Edna Park so that he could say mean things about me on video, so I figured I'd tackle him on the return!
Old 04-18-10, 10:55 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Wow, thumbs up indeed.

How fast does he cruise?

You Californians and your cushy bike trails.
17'ish with the tailwind on the return I did with him! 35 roundtrip. He said he had only been riding for 8 years, another 5 years and he'll be up in the 20 mph range.
Old 04-18-10, 11:36 PM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on friday, planning on 4 hours, only made 3 due to a broken beer bottle. (just had to order a new Vittoria Rubino Pro. I tried pumping another tube too, which popped instantly ) great day to ride though, sunny and perfect temperature.
Old 04-19-10, 12:08 AM
asok

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I squeezed in a 25 mile loop on the usual stomping grounds. The final hill knocked 1 full MPH off of my overall speed. Nothing like climbing 400ft over 1/3rd of a mile.
Old 04-19-10, 01:51 AM
siran

Bikes: Neuvation F100, Dawes Lightning 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
52 miles. Beautiful on the way there. Foggy, cold, windy on the way back. ******** thorn gave me a flat two miles away from my house...

(Dana Cove)
Old 04-19-10, 05:51 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5226 Post(s)
Liked 3,591 Times in 2,346 Posts
jealous, still sitting on the couch reading BFs
Old 04-19-10, 07:22 AM
EKCooper

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale Synapse 7 w/ Ultegra Upgrade

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We had an organized ride here just outside of San Antonio: The Fiesta Wildflower (https://www.fiestawildflower.com/home.htm). We dodged the rain on Sunday and traded that for 60 degrees and wind. Still, not a bad ride. We did the 65 mile (which was actually 67) and had a blast. For anyone in the area, if you haven't done this ride, you should. Fairly close to Austin as well.
Old 04-19-10, 10:08 AM
kini62

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
4/18 My usual 30 mile loop. Weather was nice. Traffic lights and idiot cagers were not.

Gene
Old 04-19-10, 11:55 AM
grandpiper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The MS150 (Houston to Austin) on 4/17 and 4/18 along with 12,000+ other riders. Had a great time. Kudos to the army of volunteers who put the event together.

Here is a picture taken at the lunch stop in Bellville, TX on Day 1.

Oddly enough I see only a few mentions on BF about this annual event, which, I am told, is the largest of its kind in the country.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0140..jpg (97.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-19-10, 12:17 PM
edbikebabe
runnin' down a dream

Bikes: Turner Flux, Orbea Onix Dama.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunday was a veeeerrrryyyy sllllloooowww 40km ride with the girls. It was good though - I needed an easy ride after doing an MTB race earlier in the day. The crosswinds/headwinds were almost fun - I think something is wrong with me....
Old 04-19-10, 12:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5226 Post(s)
Liked 3,591 Times in 2,346 Posts
how do you pack 4 hrs of riding into 2 hrs? Ride with more intensity!

I may not have gone much faster but I didn't pace myself or hold anything back and climbed almost everything out of the saddle. the 3/4 tights stayed over my knees and the new light cycling wind pants (Seawall) were great as usual.

31.5 miles
29.7 MAX
14.5 AVRG
2 hrs 10 min saddle time

I thought I did great except for one point up a long grade along comes a guy whose back was completely parallel to the roadway! he passed me without trouble

this old farm in Carlisle was actually more beautiful and rustic with reds; browns and stone. the blue sky had a thorough mix of white clouds. this dink cell phone camera didn't have a chance with that kind of dynamic range
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
carlisle..jpg (58.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-19-10, 12:26 PM
atmdad
Oh Snap, not again...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got in a couple of rides. Saturday afternoon up the coast to Oceanside harbor than east out the San Luis Rey river trail and back. The 7-8 miles heading back west along the river trail was straight into a strong headwind, pretty sucky. But once I got back to the coast it was nice ride. ~ 44 / 45 miles

https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...25391379482986

Sunday I was a little constrained for time so rode a shorter but more hilly route. South down the coast to the 56 trail to Camino Del Sur, through Fairbanks Ranch and Rancho Santa Fe then back to the coast ~ 31/32 miles.

https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...27164964222047
Old 04-19-10, 12:29 PM
idoru2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the Mount Laguna Bicycle Classic in San Diego county, CA. It was a climbing century and I managed to complete the 75 mile option with 6000+ feet of climbing. It was my first organized ride and first century attempt. It took me about 6.5 hours.

https://www.adventurecorps.com/mlbc/index.html

Here are some pics:
Kitchen Creek Road (Loop 2):

Old Highway 80 (Loop 2):

Sunrise Highway (Loop 1):

Sunrise Highway - Burn area (Loop 1):
Old 04-19-10, 12:38 PM
palookabutt
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a short mellow ride in the sunshine yesterday. Ran across an older couple who were standing at the side of the road waving to all the cyclists. They were asking the cyclists who ride their road to help the local residents by signing a petition on a local issue. I was happy to comply. Nice to think they count us as allies.

I also ran into some friends I hadn't seen since last summer. I guess it's that time of year -- everyone's out on their bikes now, not just us OCD types.
Old 04-19-10, 12:55 PM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Nice 101 km ride on Sunday (for the benefit of Edmonton area cyclists: from the west end down to Rabbit Hill, then to Calmar, and back home through Devon). It's quite warm for this area for this time of year, and there was hardly a breath of wind. I encountered six other cyclists, which is the most I've seen on my Sunday road rides this year so far. I felt really slow for the first couple hours, barely managing an on-bike average of 26 km/h, but for the last hour, thanks to a tail breeze, I averaged over 30 km/h. Overall, my on-bike time was 3h 35m (28.2 km/h), and total trip duration was 3h 54m (25.9 km/h).
Old 04-19-10, 01:33 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having spent the weekend camping and spectating last year for the ToC, a group of us went down to ride the Mnt. Palomar area again yesterday. Great conditions, if maybe a bit too warm, and a really fun ride. Traffic is always an issue with all the motorcyclists and camper trailers etc...but we survived. Parked at the 15/76 intersection and meandered toward the climb, trying to stay off of the 76 as long as possible. Rode up the south grade, then back down to do Cole grade and meander back to the car on minor street. A bit over 70 miles and if we can trust a couple different garmins we did 8200 ft. of climbing.

For the record, we ARE supposed to get a bit of showers this week....but unless they give us a 60+ % chance of rain.... It is the desert (sort of) afterall.

-Jeremy
Old 04-19-10, 04:29 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Well, i bailed on the group ride yesterday due to rain so i went and did the short 26 loop today instead. Was windy but i overdressed by wearing a jacket instead of the vest i originally was going to wear Adjusted the end of the ride to include the hill some sneaky route planner weaseled around this year. hopefully go for a metric wednesday and see how the legs react to that.