Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Durham Critical Mass

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 08:53 PM
nicomachus

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 5 Posts
Durham Critical Mass

more details here https://www.nicomachus.net/2007/08/du...returns_s.html

Last edited by nicomachus; 08-25-07 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-23-07, 07:05 AM
bikingMILF
Ms Congeniality

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
critical mass looks like a lot of fun. its too bad it starts at 5:35 in durham. you pretty much have to work in durham or not have typical 9-5 obligations in order to particpate. maybe raleigh can follow suite.
Old 08-23-07, 07:28 AM
gcl8a
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"What is unclear is why Critical Mass Durham has lay dormant for the past 94 years."

"Lain".

Carry on.
Old 08-23-07, 12:56 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
As much as I like cycling, and would love to see more bike routes established and cyclists about, I think pissing off car drivers and creating "makework" for the police won't make the driving public any more receptive to accomodating cyclists. As boring as it is, the best way is the "normal" way, advocating via public hearings, email, etc. and voting in cycling friendly public administrators.
Old 08-23-07, 03:15 PM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by norskagent
As much as I like cycling, and would love to see more bike routes established and cyclists about, I think pissing off car drivers and creating "makework" for the police won't make the driving public any more receptive to accomodating cyclists. ...
Amen!
Old 09-07-07, 07:44 AM
nicomachus

Success!

https://www.nicomachus.net/2007/09/critical_success.html
Old 09-07-07, 08:25 AM
piper_chuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nicomachus
Success?
"The server at www.nicomachus.net is taking too long to respond."
NOT!

It appears there's a critical mass on the information superhighway that's interfered with your site.
Old 09-26-07, 05:08 PM
blackcannon

Bikes: Motobecane Jubilee Sport, Viner, Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! Just found out about this...When is the next one?
Old 09-26-07, 08:26 PM
dookie

Liked 12 Times in 1 Post
see the flyer? 1st thurs., every month. that would be, uh, 10/4.
Old 09-26-07, 08:32 PM
cowtown_cowboy
Custom User Title

Bikes: lots trust me too much to mention

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why are the simplest answers always the hardest for people to understand?
As much as I like cycling, and would love to see more bike routes established and cyclists about, I think pissing off car drivers and creating "makework" for the police won't make the driving public any more receptive to accomodating cyclists. As boring as it is, the best way is the "normal" way, advocating via public hearings, email, etc. and voting in cycling friendly public administrators.
Old 09-27-07, 06:41 AM
brunop
hell's angels h/q e3st ny

Bikes: surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why is durham's CM on the first thursday of the month when the rest of the world is the last friday of the month? i dig that durham marches to the beat of it's own drummer, but what up?
Old 09-27-07, 07:15 AM
nicomachus

Originally Posted by brunop
why is durham's CM on the first thursday of the month when the rest of the world is the last friday of the month? i dig that durham marches to the beat of it's own drummer, but what up?
Look here to see a schedule for CM in other places.

https://critical-mass.info

As you'll see, not all are the same. What we felt is important is having a consistent time and starting location.
Old 09-27-07, 07:34 AM
nicomachus

If you're concerned about pissing off drivers, then ride in such a way (and encourage others at CM to do the same) that you don't piss them off. If drivers are pissed simply that you are on the road, then I don't know what to tell you.

If you're concerned about creating "makework" for the police, then ride in such a way (and encourage others at CM to do the same) that doesn't require a police presence. If the police show up anyway, then they must feel its critical to national security to babysit a bunch of cyclists.

As for advocating in the "normal" way... the way you describe assumes 1) that we're advocating for something particular, 2) that change must involve a political solution, and 3) that we all have access to the political system.

While getting bike lanes built or roads widened (depending on your take on VC'ism) is one issue that many cyclists want to address, it is not the only issue. Demanding respect from drivers is another. Gaining comfort and confidence on the road is another. Celebrating free expression, freedom of movement, and human powered transit is another. And besides, CM welcomes folks who don't feel as though they have access to the political system. It also welcomes folks who don't have any interest in the political system.

CM is an open event -- it welcomes a plurality of view points and goals. I know that the lack of organization and hierarchy scares some people. Modeling comfort and confidence on a bike is, I have found, often a strong, non-directive form of leadership.

I don't wait for local government (or any government) to sanction my exercising my rights or my legs. I just ride.

See you at Critical Mass.