Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show me your split fender mudguard solutions!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-23, 08:38 PM
sixer

Bikes: 1982 Mercian Vincitore, 2014 Fitwell DeGroot, 1999 Raleigh M80, 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 2002 Ibex Classic 3300, 1978 Kabuki Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

I can fit fenders on my Mercian with 28c tires, but I really like riding it with the 40c tires on it now. For practical purposes I should fit fenders so I can keep riding in all weather, but can't fit them with the larger tires. So, what solutions have you come up with to get fenders on your rig with little clearance?

I've looked extensively at solutions using the split brackets from River City, but they just look clunky to me.

I think I can cut my Bluemels at the L bracket, so I really just need a solution for mounting the shorter ends at the front and back (beyond the brakes). With front and rear racks maybe there's a solution to mount/support them there. Thx!

Likes For sixer:
Old 10-24-23, 10:01 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
Originally Posted by sixer
I can fit fenders on my Mercian with 28c tires, but I really like riding it with the 40c tires on it now. For practical purposes I should fit fenders so I can keep riding in all weather, but can't fit them with the larger tires. So, what solutions have you come up with to get fenders on your rig with little clearance?

I've looked extensively at solutions using the split brackets from River City, but they just look clunky to me.

I think I can cut my Bluemels at the L bracket, so I really just need a solution for mounting the shorter ends at the front and back (beyond the brakes). With front and rear racks maybe there's a solution to mount/support them there. Thx!

Once you cut the fender you must reinforce it so it doesn't disintegrate after cutting it to stay attached, the brackets have to be robust so the attachment can be as well so they don't fall apart.

It has to be right the first time or it won't last.

Rene Hearse has some very nice fenders that may work but the $$$$$$ are very hard to get over.

You can make your own less klunky brackets but they may not hold well.
Old 10-24-23, 10:35 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
It would be nice to see photos of the clearance at seat stay/rear brake, chainstay, and fork/front brake. Also, if you could measure the tire width to verify that 40mm. In my opinion, if you can fit 40mm of tire, you should be able to fit 32-35mm tires with full fenders(if properly done).

There are some talented fender massagers on this forum who have reshaped metal fenders in order to fit decent size tires. Use the search engine here on bf.

Fwiw, this bike will fit 40-42mm tires w/o fenders. I have 38mm Gravelkings on it in the photo with metal fenders.

BTW, that is a beautiful Mercian.

Likes For Roger M:
Old 10-25-23, 05:54 AM
sixer

Bikes: 1982 Mercian Vincitore, 2014 Fitwell DeGroot, 1999 Raleigh M80, 1968 Schwinn Stingray, 2002 Ibex Classic 3300, 1978 Kabuki Track

I'll grab some more measurements later, but the tires are about 39-39.5mm. I have less than 2mm clearance on each side of the tires at the chainstays - when the wheel was slightly out of true, it rubbed, so they are definitely maxed out (I swear I ordered 38s, but 40s came).

Clearance at each brake is slim. I think I have enough to use the L brackets at the bridges, but the clearance drops off on the brake side. Can you attach to the brake acorn nut?

I'm happy with these tires and I'm not looking for a solution with smaller tires.

Old 10-25-23, 07:28 PM
sixer

Clearances at the rear:
Brake side: ~3mm
Frame side: ~6mm

Clearances at the front:
Brake side: ~3mm
Frame side: ~12mm

Rear brake side

Rear frame side

Front frame side

Front brake side

Last edited by sixer; 10-25-23 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-25-23, 07:37 PM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
According to the C&V crowd, OP lives dangerously with those early Scott-Matthauser brake blocks. Dig it. I still use the same on a LeChampion. Also have a spare set with raw stock material from Kool-Stop, epoxied to the finned backing. Never had an issue. Lol
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 10-26-23, 02:40 PM
sixer

Originally Posted by chain_whipped
According to the C&V crowd, OP lives dangerously with those early Scott-Matthauser brake blocks. Dig it. I still use the same on a LeChampion. Also have a spare set with raw stock material from Kool-Stop, epoxied to the finned backing. Never had an issue. Lol
I like the Mathausers except that they make the gum walls black when wet - I don't know how many miles were on the bike when I got it (I've ridden it >2500 miles), but I ordered new brake pads a few months ago and the stems were too big for the slot in the brake to receive them, so I just adjusted the brake opening and kept rolling Looking for ideas there too, that don't involve filing out the brake.
Old 10-26-23, 04:49 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
I think you're SOL unless you change the brakes. Even then the front crown isn't gonna allow it without some butchering of the mudguard. Then, I could see those tire knobs picking up a stick and asploding your Bluemels.
I'm trying to be positive here. Lovely bike!