Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

It's not a hoax

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

It's not a hoax

 
Old 04-13-20, 09:09 PM
  #176  
OBoile
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,702
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
Do you know me? No? Then why would you presume that I don't know what I am talking about?
The content of your posts gives it away.
OBoile is offline  
Likes For OBoile:
Old 04-14-20, 12:40 AM
  #177  
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious
 
SHBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 1,337
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
Sergei to Alexei "Comrade, you know that Bill Gates is the devil thing you started a few years ago? have you checked in on it recently? It is on fire!"

How come the only billionaire who is actually trying to do some good is getting roasted by the tinfoil hat brigade, when real evil buggers like the one remaining Koch brother and the Mercers can bank roll some real evil disinformation? Just proves how stupid the foilers really are. Dude tries to warn the world to be ready for a pandemic because the science says it's gonna happen. Tinfoil hats decide his warning means he must be behind it. No, you mouth breathing morons, it just means that he's smarter than you, and because you suffer from a massive case of Dunning-Kruger you don't realise it.
After some more thought I think we agree.

Malware man is happy to be the puppet, as are all the others.

Especially orange man, he will eat his own excrement and call it delicious, with a smile.

Its a comedy of useful idiots, just remember to stay out of the line of fire when someone decides to have a bad day.
SHBR is offline  
Old 04-14-20, 06:24 AM
  #178  
MoAlpha
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,440

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6562 Post(s)
Liked 3,062 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Thanks for posting that.


That's the thing--it's not like COVID just causes people to drop dead, the complications of infection are so well-known at this point that the testing is probably only confirming what's obvious at the point of death.

I suppose it's theoretically possible someone could coincidentally drop dead of a massive heart attack just as they got an uncomplicated COVID infection, but what's the likelihood that someone would even suspect COVID was involved and actually do the test? OTOH, someone having a heart attack while suffering from COVID-induced ARDS almost certainly was killed by the complications of the infection, which the criteria you just posted would lead to the listing of COVID as UCOD..

BTW, I know I'm talking through my hat, but this "every death is being attributed to COVID" thing is turning into a conspiracy theory, and I think it's obvious even to lay people that it's implausible.
Case in point, I once testified for the plaintiff in the following medical negligence case: Lady with history of hypertension undergoes routine bowel surgery, has some sort of poop leak, gets peritonitis, bacteremia, sepsis, multi-organ failure, the works. During this ordeal, she has a devastating stroke from a large vessel occlusion. Question is did her weeks of bacterial hell contribute substantially to the stroke or was it just bad luck and the natural history of her mild hypertension? The argument I used was that even if she was a setup for clotting off her entire carotid artery (which she wasn’t) the daily risk of that catastrophe was very low. Therefore, simple probability, along with everything we know about coagulopathies and I inflammation, favors sepsis as the cause of the clot. Anyway, the judge (this was NC) bought the fancy yankee doctor’s argument and the lady got her award.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-14-20, 07:28 AM
  #179  
livedarklions
Certified Class A Wanker
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,298

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4812 Post(s)
Liked 4,013 Times in 2,253 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Case in point, I once testified for the plaintiff in the following medical negligence case: Lady with history of hypertension undergoes routine bowel surgery, has some sort of poop leak, gets peritonitis, bacteremia, sepsis, multi-organ failure, the works. During this ordeal, she has a devastating stroke from a large vessel occlusion. Question is did her weeks of bacterial hell contribute substantially to the stroke or was it just bad luck and the natural history of her mild hypertension? The argument I used was that even if she was a setup for clotting off her entire carotid artery (which she wasn’t) the daily risk of that catastrophe was very low. Therefore, simple probability, along with everything we know about coagulopathies and I inflammation, favors sepsis as the cause of the clot. Anyway, the judge (this was NC) bought the fancy yankee doctor’s argument and the lady got her award.

The way you tell that story makes me think "yutes" were involved.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 04-14-20, 07:47 AM
  #180  
MoAlpha
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,440

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6562 Post(s)
Liked 3,062 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
The way you tell that story makes me think "yutes" were involved.
It was definitely an interesting experience. Trial was in a county seat somewhere in the Piedmont. The plaintiff's attorney had long hair and, IIRC, a seersucker suit!. Apparently a big man locally and very successful in that line. They had a big team and were all set up in a motel room with a rented copier and a visible supply of bourbon. The defense was outgunned and by this point they knew it. I was careful not to disparage the defendant and it ended up being fairly friendly all around.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-14-20, 04:17 PM
  #181  
thepartsguy
ole skool cyclist
 
thepartsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Munroe Falls, Ohio
Posts: 28

Bikes: Gitane Sprint, Kinesis Touring bike, and 1994 SpecializedStumpJumper M2 FS with DH fork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle View Post
Is this a widespread, general representative attitude in the USA, currently (7 April 2020)? If so, get the bulldozers and open pits ready.
As you have seen by now thats whats happened in NYC and maybe in Louisiana and Florida to some extent. We will be facing this stuff until a antibody serum is offered and then a vaccine. The vaccine could take til years end or longer. There will be more mass burials.
thepartsguy is offline  
Likes For thepartsguy:
Old 04-14-20, 04:39 PM
  #182  
ridelikeaturtle
Senior Member
 
ridelikeaturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 1,179

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Fondriest Squadra Corse; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 217 Posts
Originally Posted by thepartsguy View Post
As you have seen by now thats whats happened in NYC and maybe in Louisiana and Florida to some extent. We will be facing this stuff until a antibody serum is offered and then a vaccine. The vaccine could take til years end or longer. There will be more mass burials.
Yep, a week on and my original post aged well. Unfortunately.

Any true "peak" is only seen once you're well past it; and removing restrictions too soon can put you right back into the curve. I've a feeling this could endure for quite some time.
ridelikeaturtle is offline  
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 04-14-20, 04:56 PM
  #183  
Trevtassie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Down Under
Posts: 1,918

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle View Post
Yep, a week on and my original post aged well. Unfortunately.

Any true "peak" is only seen once you're well past it; and removing restrictions too soon can put you right back into the curve. I've a feeling this could endure for quite some time.
The "hoaxers" have now moved on to who's fault it is. The Chinese, Big Pharma, 5G, etc etc Like that makes any difference. Some of the attitudes to who's fault it is mean that people still aren't isolating properly.

I learnt my lesson not to mess with bats years ago (before the internet) I read somewhere bat guano is good for your garden, so I dug a bunch out of a small bat colony under an overhang in the desert. It took me years to get over the weird sinus infection I got from that, 'cause I read the bit about wearing respiratory protection in bat caves afterwards.
Trevtassie is offline  
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 04-14-20, 05:02 PM
  #184  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,064

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie View Post
The "hoaxers" have now moved on to who's fault it is. The Chinese, Big Pharma, 5G, etc etc Like that makes any difference. Some of the attitudes to who's fault it is mean that people still aren't isolating properly.

I learnt my lesson not to mess with bats years ago (before the internet) I read somewhere bat guano is good for your garden, so I dug a bunch out of a small bat colony under an overhang in the desert. It took me years to get over the weird sinus infection I got from that, 'cause I read the bit about wearing respiratory protection in bat caves afterwards.
Breathing any excrement isn't great for your health...
Unca_Sam is offline  
Old 04-15-20, 04:47 AM
  #185  
livedarklions
Certified Class A Wanker
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,298

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4812 Post(s)
Liked 4,013 Times in 2,253 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam View Post
Breathing any excrement isn't great for your health...

Yes, but for some reason, bats are particularly good at producing viruses that can be spread to humans, so bat guano is especially dangerous.

The main protection we've had from exposure to bats is the obvious fact that our species don't hang out together much. Alas, that's changing.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-15-20, 05:05 PM
  #186  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,133
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,232 Times in 1,111 Posts
Bats are viral disease-bags:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/s...rus-Wuhan.html


They are extremely important animals in terms of the environment, but best not to eat them, touch them or inhale their droppings.
wgscott is offline  
Likes For wgscott:
Old 04-15-20, 05:46 PM
  #187  
crank_addict
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,152
Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 395 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Bats are viral disease-bags:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/28/s...rus-Wuhan.html


They are extremely important animals in terms of the environment, but best not to eat them, touch them or inhale their droppings.
Them pesky bats and rats.

A delightful parody on our transitioning government.


crank_addict is offline  
Old 04-15-20, 06:56 PM
  #188  
MoAlpha
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,440

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6562 Post(s)
Liked 3,062 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Yes, but for some reason, bats are particularly good at producing viruses that can be spread to humans, so bat guano is especially dangerous.

The main protection we've had from exposure to bats is the obvious fact that our species don't hang out together much. Alas, that's changing.

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
However, the sinus infection was more likely fungal, specifically histoplasmosis.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-15-20, 07:16 PM
  #189  
livedarklions
Certified Class A Wanker
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,298

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4812 Post(s)
Liked 4,013 Times in 2,253 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post

However, the sinus infection was more likely fungal, specifically histoplasmosis.

​​​​​​​I've actually got a phobia of bats, bad enough that you won't find me ever going into a cave. I'm thinking that not trying to get desensitized to them is looking like a pretty good decision right now.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-15-20, 07:22 PM
  #190  
MoAlpha
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 8,440

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6562 Post(s)
Liked 3,062 Times in 1,671 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I've actually got a phobia of bats, bad enough that you won't find me ever going into a cave. I'm thinking that not trying to get desensitized to them is looking like a pretty good decision right now.
Rabies is what really scares me about those little mofos. I do like them in the abstract, however, and I miss them flitting around at dusk and eating mosquitos, pollinating crops, and whatnot. There used to be mobs of them here, but I think they've been wiped out by white nose syndrome.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-16-20, 08:04 AM
  #191  
livedarklions
Certified Class A Wanker
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,298

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4812 Post(s)
Liked 4,013 Times in 2,253 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Rabies is what really scares me about those little mofos. I do like them in the abstract, however, and I miss them flitting around at dusk and eating mosquitos, pollinating crops, and whatnot. There used to be mobs of them here, but I think they've been wiped out by white nose syndrome.
My phobia is very specifically being in an enclosed space with a flying bat, outside has never been a problem. Like you, I very much miss the swarms of bats that used to fly around doing their bug-eating job.

Where I grew up, I believe I read that the bats were too small to pose a rabies threat as their teeth weren't strong enough to penetrate human flesh. I don't know of anyone who tested that, however.
livedarklions is offline  
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-16-20, 08:13 AM
  #192  
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Posts: 8,977
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Liked 2,314 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
My phobia is very specifically being in an enclosed space with a flying bat, outside has never been a problem. Like you, I very much miss the swarms of bats that used to fly around doing their bug-eating job.

Where I grew up, I believe I read that the bats were too small to pose a rabies threat as their teeth weren't strong enough to penetrate human flesh. I don't know of anyone who tested that, however.
A story from my parents from when I was a toddler and too young to remember it:
They had a window fan in bedroom, and one night a bat got sucked into it from outdoors.
The result was diced bat distributed across the room.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 04-16-20 at 11:11 AM.
Shimagnolo is offline  
Old 04-16-20, 09:40 AM
  #193  
Unca_Sam
The dropped
 
Unca_Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,064

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 537 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
My phobia is very specifically being in an enclosed space with a flying bat, outside has never been a problem. Like you, I very much miss the swarms of bats that used to fly around doing their bug-eating job.

Where I grew up, I believe I read that the bats were too small to pose a rabies threat as their teeth weren't strong enough to penetrate human flesh. I don't know of anyone who tested that, however.
https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/bats/education/index.html
Unca_Sam is offline  
Old 04-16-20, 09:53 AM
  #194  
livedarklions
Certified Class A Wanker
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 9,298

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4812 Post(s)
Liked 4,013 Times in 2,253 Posts

I grew up and developed the phobia in Minnesota, where the species of bats commonly found are very small--they're basically flying mice with very small teeth. Obviously, where bats are bigger, the likelihood of a skin-breaking bite is higher.

Either way, I didn't want to play with them.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 04-16-20, 10:52 AM
  #195  
skookum
cyclotourist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: calgary, canada
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 117 Posts
A man died in BC last year after an encounter with a bat.

He wasn't aware of being bitten, and it is surmised that he was scratched by the bat.

Henry said the man's symptoms progressed "very quickly." It was only after he mentioned that he had come into contact with a bat that he was tested for rabies.

Henry said skin must be punctured for rabies to be passed from an animal to a human, though it can be difficult to tell with a bat scratch.

"With a bat you may not even recognize that a scratch has happened ... that can happen very quickly so any sort of direct contact with a bat is a risky thing," said Henry.

"Bats generally don't want to be around humans so that's one of the things that is worrisome. If you are in contact with a bat then you really need to be assessed so we can give you the vaccine to make sure we can prevent you from getting this terrible disease."
I found a dead bat in a mouse trap once . I disposed of the whole thing, bat and trap without touching the bat.

When they were teenagers, a friend and his buddy went in to a cave used by bats during the day and captured a sleeping bat, put it in a paper bag, stored it in the fridge, then released it in a movie theatre at night. The theatre had to be evacuated. I am not endorsing this kind of stunt.

I think bats are cool creatures, but the more I learn about them, the more I want to avoid them.



https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...uver-1.5212965
skookum is offline  
Old 04-16-20, 11:20 AM
  #196  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 21,994
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14668 Post(s)
Liked 5,615 Times in 3,215 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I grew up and developed the phobia in Minnesota, where the species of bats commonly found are very small--they're basically flying mice with very small teeth. Obviously, where bats are bigger, the likelihood of a skin-breaking bite is higher.

Either way, I didn't want to play with them.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-16-20, 04:43 PM
  #197  
CycleryNorth81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 877

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 117 Posts
These people are not social distancing.

Protesters in MAGA hats and flying Confederate flags swarm Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Utah, Wyoming, New York and Virginia to demonstrate 'tyrannical' and 'unconstitutional' lockdown orders that are 'worse than the virus'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wn-orders.html
CycleryNorth81 is offline  
Old 04-16-20, 04:43 PM
  #198  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 6,710

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 488 Posts
It's not a hoax and neither is it an accident.
wolfchild is offline  
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-16-20, 05:20 PM
  #199  
Doge
Senior Member
 
Doge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 10,350

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3324 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 214 Posts
An interesting graduation coming up Sat...

Doge is offline  
Old 04-16-20, 05:44 PM
  #200  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7,133
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,232 Times in 1,111 Posts
Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81 View Post
These people are not social distancing.

Protesters in MAGA hats and flying Confederate flags swarm Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Utah, Wyoming, New York and Virginia to demonstrate 'tyrannical' and 'unconstitutional' lockdown orders that are 'worse than the virus'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wn-orders.html
Nature has an abundance of self-correcting mechanisms. Unfortunately, in this case, they are probably going to take some other people with them.
wgscott is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.