Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tire Pressure on a Straight Wall Rim

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-15, 05:51 PM
rommer25

Bikes: Windsor Carrera Sport, Fuji Absolute 3.0, Cannondale H400

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I ask this on the Bicycle Mec. site but got no answers:

I got this Wndsor Carrera Sport. I has Performance Bike Forte tires on it. They look brand new and may only have been put on to sell the bike. The tires say inflate to 75 to 95 pounds. I am 250 pounds. The Windsor is around 1973 so it may not have hooked rims. I am going to check this weekend.

Could you give your opinion on what would be a max pressure if they are flat sided rims?

If I decide to keep the bike, I'll look into different tires. I had the fortes on a bike I use at work once. They seem to have an issue with traction when wet.
Old 07-11-15, 07:21 PM
lasauge

Liked 388 Times in 213 Posts
With straight side rims I wouldn't exceed 75 psi.

Since you're a 250lb rider, I'd definitely suggest getting hold of some wheels with modern hooked rims - preferably slightly wider ones (like Sun CR18's) so you can also take advantage of higher volume tires at the same time.
Old 07-11-15, 09:15 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Liked 1,392 Times in 926 Posts
Many, many 27-inch wheel bikes were sold in the 70's with reliable straight-sided rims with wired-on tires that held 90-100psi with no problems. I had a few of those.

However, there were certain batches of rims, Weinmann comes to mind, on which tires might only be able to be reliably pumped to 70psi.

You could test-inflate those Forte tires to perhaps 115psi, to test both rims for tire retention if the tires are in very fresh condition.

Goggles and ear plugs recommended, the tube may escape the tire's containment!

Are the Windsor's rims brand-name? Who is the maker?

Windsor was pretty casual about quality control, so I would not trust the integrity of those wheels without the approval of a knowledgeable wheel builder in this case. They most likely have inconsistent and low overall spoke tensioning, which drastically affect's a wheel's strength (stability) and longevity. Heavily loaded wheels especially need proper tensioning, and the rim must not have any history of trauma for even tensioning to be achieved.

Last edited by dddd; 07-11-15 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-11-15, 09:33 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Liked 752 Times in 246 Posts
How wide are the tires? If it says max 95 then it is either older or wider than I'm used to. I'd say go at least to 80. If it's a 28mm (1 1/8") or 32mm (1 1/4") then that should hold your weight pretty well.