Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Using toolboxes for parts storage (and some cheap dividers)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Using toolboxes for parts storage (and some cheap dividers)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-24, 09:47 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 923 Posts
Here's some organization pr0n for you guys. Grab some coffee, sit back, and procrastinate.

Old 04-19-24, 07:27 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 4,419 Times in 2,098 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Here's some organization pr0n for you guys. Grab some coffee, sit back, and procrastinate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXfg4Qib-5I
That "find a horizontal surface to open it up" problem is exactly why I can't stand these particular organizers. Props to Adam for building an Ace Hardware-style slide system for it - though the video clearly demonstrates the problem with doing so: Building the organizer becomes a job amongst itself so large that it takes over whatever you needed the organizers for (and requires new tools that take up even more space).

The OEM for every one of these storage cabinets should have thought of that in the first place.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 04-19-24 at 07:35 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 04-19-24, 07:41 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I've got some parts in tool cabinets, but functionally some of its just an organized display of loot. After "the purge"(which is only partially bikes) I'm going to track down some blueprint/map cabinets with huge flat drawers, as they provide a lot of deployable "horizontal surface" .
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 04-20-24, 09:51 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 461 Posts
I went into Harbor Freight for an ordinary portable toolbox with a handle, in traditional red steel. They had one and I got it. They also had one of these, on sale:

I couldn't resist. It stores both parts and tools, and goes with me when I visit my riding buddy in Tucson. One of my better impulse purchases at about $80.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 04-21-24, 07:25 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 1,034 Times in 530 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
I went into Harbor Freight for an ordinary portable toolbox with a handle, in traditional red steel. They had one and I got it. They also had one of these, on sale:

I couldn't resist. It stores both parts and tools, and goes with me when I visit my riding buddy in Tucson. One of my better impulse purchases at about $80.
I have always admired the wooden toolboxes like that, especially the older ones made from oak with brass hardware. I think Sears had one in their tool catalog, but they were very expensive. I have a machinist chest in the same style, but in steel, from Kennedy Mfg. My grandmother worked there for many years and gave it to me when she retired. I recently acquired the larger model from my dad. He had owned it for at least 50 years. Most of my bike tools are on a pegboard, but I keep some of the less frequently used tools in the drawers. And since it is a machinist chest, I have all my calipers and micrometers in it.

Kennedy Machinist Chest Model 526 and MC-28
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-21-24, 09:07 AM
Fissile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Those HF wood tool chests are knock-offs of the Gerstner Tool chests... very low quality knock-offs. Even with one of HFs 'coupons' they're overpriced. Laminates over particle board or finger jointed scraps with cardboard drawer bottoms. Gerstner still offers boxes made in the US, but they are crazy expensive. They also offer an 'International' line made in Asia but at least Gerstner's 'cheap' boxes are made of solid wood. See here.
Likes For Fissile:
Old 04-21-24, 10:28 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Originally Posted by Fissile
Those HF wood tool chests are knock-offs of the Gerstner Tool chests... very low quality knock-offs. Even with one of HFs 'coupons' they're overpriced. Laminates over particle board or finger jointed scraps with cardboard drawer bottoms. Gerstner still offers boxes made in the US, but they are crazy expensive. They also offer an 'International' line made in Asia but at least Gerstner's 'cheap' boxes are made of solid wood. See here.
Definitely not high-snoot.

But I spent one thousand six hundred and fifteen dollars LESS! Granted, only $1275 less when the Gerstner is on sale. For two Gerstners, I could have an 8 kg step-through CF bicycle, if anybody made one.

But, thanks to Harbor Freight, even poor people can live like kings!

P.S. Drawer bottoms are thin MDF. No cardboard or particle board. Thankfully, finger-jointed scraps (of real wood) saved me over a thousand dollars, and it still looks nice, and holds together. Long live cheap knockoffs! I run Chi-fi, too, FWIW.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 04-21-24, 10:41 AM
Fissile

Definitely not high-snoot.

But I spent one thousand six hundred and fifteen dollars LESS! Granted, only $1275 less when the Gerstner is on sale. For two Gerstners, I could have an 8 kg step-through CF bicycle, if anybody made one.

But, thanks to Harbor Freight, even poor people can live like kings!

P.S. Drawer bottoms are thin MDF. No cardboard or particle board. Thankfully, finger-jointed scraps (of real wood) saved me over a thousand dollars, and it still looks nice, and holds together. Long live cheap knockoffs! I run Chi-fi, too, FWIW.
I buy HF stuff too. Their US General boxes are a fraction of the pro boxes and are fine for a DIYer, or a tech just starting out. Last month I bought some flare-nut wrenches to replace a leaky hydraulic hose in my car..it worked fine at a fraction of the price of 'real' tools. That said not everything at HF is a good value. Those wood HF boxes are one example. $40? OK. $85 dollars? Nope.
Old 04-21-24, 10:53 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 183 Posts
I buy HF stuff too. Their US General boxes are a fraction of the pro boxes and are fine for a DIYer, or a tech just starting out. Last month I bought some flare-nut wrenches to replace a leaky hydraulic hose in my car..it worked fine at a fraction of the price of 'real' tools. That said not everything at HF is a good value. Those wood HF boxes are one example. $40? OK. $85 dollars? Nope.
Lots of professionals use Harbor Freight as well - not only cheaper but often more convenient than the tool truck brands. The customer doesn't care how much you paid for a tool.

Tool boxes are a different animal - many a successful mechanic would rather have more tools than a fancy box.
Old 04-21-24, 07:40 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Their US General boxes are a fraction of the pro boxes and are fine for a DIYer, or a tech just starting out.
The US General boxes have become insanely expensive as of recent; even more so than the pre-takeover Craftsman chests from 10 years ago. They seem to be aiming high with fairly thick paint jobs and smooth drawer slides, though time will tell whether these things actually hold up - or if they'll rust up just as well as an entry-level Craftsman box.

I noticed that the US General boxes feel very similar to the oddball series of black-and-red Craftsman boxes that were released in 2017 (same as the one below), which in their own right feel very similar to the current Husky boxes minus the soft-close drawers (which I suspect is simply the slide design). Thankfully, neither the Craftsman nor the Husky have those ridiculous plastic finger grips under the handles that the US General Mistakes have; they're a nuisance and I always ram my fingers into them expecting an open grip space.

HF's ICON series is even more surprising; it's clearly aimed right at Mac and Snap-On. Below US General is one Yukon-branded box; that current Yukon 46" box is clearly off the same tooling as some of the current 46" Husky boxes (and about the same price).

No telling what the lineup will look like in 5 years.

-Kurt

Old 04-21-24, 10:19 PM
Fissile

Originally Posted by cudak888

No telling what the lineup will look like in 5 years.

-Kurt
In five years they will have even more cool colors. OOOOHHH! PURPLE! Next coupon they send me and this is going in my basement.
Old 04-24-24, 06:43 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Never Harbor Freight.

Someone here recommended their parts washer so i picked one up. Shortly therafter I had a fraudulent charge on my Visa to the tune of $2800 from China. Turns out Harbor Freight's POP CC terminals were hacked.

Thankfully my CU covered it.

Got a form letter from Harbor Freight four months later. Useless.
Old 04-27-24, 06:28 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Question for everyone - other than the U.S. General S3 42" cabinet, are there any affordable 42's on the market that have two wide drawers on top? Could use one in place of that Husky currently sitting next to the Fartman.

-Kurt

Old 04-27-24, 06:53 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Originally Posted by leftthread
Never Harbor Freight.

Someone here recommended their parts washer so i picked one up. Shortly therafter I had a fraudulent charge on my Visa to the tune of $2800 from China. Turns out Harbor Freight's POP CC terminals were hacked.

Thankfully my CU covered it.

Got a form letter from Harbor Freight four months later. Useless.
Presumably that was the fault of a third party.

Corruption at Lowes is institutionalized, in policy.
Old 04-29-24, 04:38 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 3,894 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I've got some parts in tool cabinets, but functionally some of its just an organized display of loot. After "the purge"(which is only partially bikes) I'm going to track down some blueprint/map cabinets with huge flat drawers, as they provide a lot of deployable "horizontal surface" .
As someone who uses flat files for parts, one thing to think about is drawer depth. Some flat files/blueprint/map cabinets have very shallow drawers, not always clear from the the drawer "face" size. We had some really nice ones at my previous work place that quickly filled (to the point of not closing) with prints/blueprint/maps. Drawers were functionally only 3/4" deep, even though the "face" was 2". The ones I have are 2-7/8" deep and when I started putting parts in, I discovered some brakes had to broken down to fit, not a big deal but worth considering.
Likes For SoCaled: