Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Your longest commute

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Your longest commute

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-24, 07:57 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5230 Post(s)
Liked 3,600 Times in 2,354 Posts
any "park & rides" along the route? this is part of new cycling infrastructure, if your area supports cyclists. you drive part way, then bike, then reverse the process going home
Old 04-12-24, 08:09 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 575 Times in 436 Posts
Your longest commute
These days, a commute's 5-10mi (each way, depending). If there were more MUPs and greater availability of bike lanes on the roadways, it'd be a far nicer and safer ride.

Once was, several times weekly I would cycle just short of 25mi each way. Though practically none of that was in a bike lane or on a MUP. Oh, to be so young and injury-free as that. Ah, well.
Old 04-12-24, 09:52 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
I had a half century round trip commute from '04-'20 (covid casualty). I started with three times a week and gradually got to where I could do five days in a row if weather/schedule/attitude allowed. Four was a nice number with Wednesdays as a rest day. I ended up with an average of about 110 commutes a year--half my work schedule. Winters were lighter (Minnesota) and involved my Cannondale hybrid with studded tires. There were some slow commutes on that. Summers were with a Cannondale touring bike. I left shoes at work and had a drawer full of snacks, but otherwise carried most everything in my pannier.

Maintaining the attitude was more challenging than the physical aspect. I spent 3.5 hours on the bike per commute on average, so there wasn't a lot of extra time and energy on the days I commuted for other activities. I kept about 100,000 miles off the car in that time frame. The touring bike saw six times the miles as the hybrid, but they went through about the same number of components. Winters here are just harder on equipment.

If you bike the full way, replace the mountain bike, or at least put slicks on it. It will take time to build up the endurance. I've read 3-4 years, and that sort of fit with my early years. (But at one annual physical, my GP said, "You have the lungs of an elite athlete!" That was about the best compliment I've received, as I definitely don't have a racer's physique nor their speed.)
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 04-13-24, 11:10 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts
My current commute 1-2x/week spring-fall, 23 miles downhill, takes 50 minutes. The ride home is 3,575 feet elevation gain, in around 2 hours 45 minutes. I’m still waiting for my new Tout Terrain which will fit studded snow tires to keep it going through the winter.
Likes For Thigh Master:
Old 04-16-24, 07:05 AM
FLYBYU

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I tried cycling one way this weekend. My duties at work have changed in the last week or so, so this may not work anyway. My one way trip showed that I need some more conditioning for sure. There was a headwind and I was wiped by the time I got there. As for multimodal, there are no busses or trains, just double lane highway followed by heavy industrial area where I work.
Old 04-16-24, 10:08 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 389 Posts
Originally Posted by FLYBYU
I tried cycling one way this weekend. My duties at work have changed in the last week or so, so this may not work anyway. My one way trip showed that I need some more conditioning for sure. There was a headwind and I was wiped by the time I got there. As for multimodal, there are no busses or trains, just double lane highway followed by heavy industrial area where I work.
Maybe add an electric motor?
Insta: JohnMichaelFlores | TikTok: @johnnymotoflores
Old 04-23-24, 07:36 AM
Kiwisaver

Bikes: Fisher Celerity, Reid 1x7 City Bike, Viva fixed gear, 93 Avanti

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
42 miles

My longest commute was 42 miles rt w/a 550 drop in and 550 climb homeward.
Likes For Kiwisaver: