Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Comfortable bike seat for 80's bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Comfortable bike seat for 80's bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-20, 04:12 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
And maybe half the lifetime...but I find that my Brooks saddles last a lot longer as my quiver has grown. None of them get more than 1000 miles a year, and they're well kept.
I used to race and on one of my bikes I had a Brooks Pro with well over 200K miles on it before it died.

Really heavy, but really comfy.
Old 06-17-20, 08:22 PM
velogimp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
The most important dimension for saddle fit is width. Specialized dealers often have a deformable pad that you sit on to measure the distance between your sit bones (ischial tuberosities), and thus determine ideal seat width, at least for Specialized seats. If you buy a new saddle from a shop, make sure that you can exchange it if it is not comfortable.
Old 06-17-20, 09:30 PM
aland2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
The human bottom comes in two parts. Only buy a saddle that has a large enough hole in the middle so that left and right buttocks enjoy sufficient independence not to chafe.
Old 06-18-20, 01:14 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
I've ridden quite a few saddles since the 1970's and I quite liked a Brooks B17 and a Rolls. The Rolls I rode for many years quite comfortably but I chanced on a Concor saddle on a bike I happened to buy around the year 2000. It was even more comfortable than the Rolls (for my butt). Now I have a few Concor saddles on my bikes and love them. I tried a few Concor models and I like the Concor Confort the best.