Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Worksman Industrial Bicycle- Report

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Worksman Industrial Bicycle- Report

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 01:56 PM
ClydesMoose

Bikes: 2013 CAAD 8 6 Black/Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I had a boat that I needed to ensure that it wasn't going to drift off anywhere, I'd consider it.

But if I needed a bike, not so much.
Old 04-04-13, 02:30 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
That said, are you going to buy a Worksman or just criticize their web site????
I'll take "criticize the site" for $200 Alec.
Old 04-04-13, 04:33 PM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excuse my ignorance on the subject but what exactly is an "industrial bicycle?" What differentiates it from any other bicycle? I've obviously seen the pics of it so I know it doesn't look like your typical road bike, but it looks more like sort of a cruiser bike than anything else.

So anyway, what's different about an "iindustrial" bicycle from a "regular" bicycle?
Old 04-04-13, 06:31 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
It's like a regular bicycle but made from cast iron tubing. at least it feels that way if you try to pick it up (and don't rupture your spleen) you'll notice that they are extremely heavy. They tend to be extremely durable too, which is a pro in a warehouse or similar industrial environment, or if the rider is a particularly large rider.
Old 04-04-13, 06:34 PM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
It's like a regular bicycle but made from cast iron tubing. at least it feels that way if you try to pick it up (and don't rupture your spleen) you'll notice that they are extremely heavy. They tend to be extremely durable too, which is a pro in a warehouse or similar industrial environment, or if the rider is a particularly large rider.
Ah, okay. Can't go wrong with American-made, either! The prices are very reasonable for an American-made bicycle. I'm kinda wanting one!
Old 04-04-13, 06:39 PM
Angelis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A lot of the way Worksman does business is pure old school ,like their web site, but their bikes are first class!!

That said, are you going to buy a Worksman or just criticize their web site????
It's possible I might someday in the future. Like I said, I've used and liked their products before. I wouldn't mind building a klunker out of one of their frames. If they were sold locally, I'd probably already have one.

But for the time being; just website criticizing.
Old 04-06-13, 10:41 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Angelis
It's possible I might someday in the future. Like I said, I've used and liked their products before. I wouldn't mind building a klunker out of one of their frames. If they were sold locally, I'd probably already have one.

But for the time being; just website criticizing.
How very un-american of you!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 04-06-13, 04:57 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I have rode a workmans trike hundreds of miles with a 100lbs of tools a 75lb pump and me at 335lbs no problem . It will take a direct solid hit from a fork lift to damage one . They don't wory to much about instructions because most are sold to factories who have a person that does nothing but work on bikes
Old 04-06-13, 06:43 PM
AbundantChoice

Bikes: modified Worksman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Worksman a few years back. It was... OK. Certainly the frame is nearly indestructible, and the wheels are pretty beefy too. With that said... it's so freakin' heavy! I mean *profoundly* heavy. Combine that with the heavvvvvvy wheels and internal hub and it adds up to not very much coastability; you're going to earn every forward foot on that thing.

I eventually got sick of it and ended up getting two bikes (a Redline SS 29er mountainbike and a Surly LHT), both of which I like far, *far* more than the Worksman and have had zero issues with even given my uber-clyde ness, but I can't really hate on the Worksman all that much as it's what got me back into cycling in the first place.
Old 04-06-13, 06:45 PM
AbundantChoice

Bikes: modified Worksman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like I said, I've used and liked their products before. I wouldn't mind building a klunker out of one of their frames.
Heh, it's funny you mention that. I ended up building my klunky Burning Man bike out of the frame of my old Worksman once I got my new bikes.
Old 04-07-13, 07:59 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Interestingly, I learned that the company name is a family name, originally Werksman but misspelled as Worksman.
Old 04-07-13, 03:35 PM
ozziejones

Bikes: Terra Rover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost bought one of the bikes. Rode it but didn't think it was "right" to ride long distance.
Old 04-07-13, 07:21 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
How very un-american of you!
I think website criticism, and criticism of Worksman bikes, is the right of any American (or Canadian) not wedded to the past, or the heavy, heavy bikes therein. Not Un-American, just independent thought being exercised to everyone's' benefit.
Old 04-08-13, 10:10 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
I think website criticism, and criticism of Worksman bikes, is the right of any American (or Canadian) not wedded to the past, or the heavy, heavy bikes therein. Not Un-American, just independent thought being exercised to everyone's' benefit.
Well said.

Old 04-08-13, 11:15 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil_B
Well said.
Glad to see that you haven't left cycling after all.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 04-08-13, 11:18 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Interestingly, I learned that the company name is a family name, originally Werksman but misspelled as Worksman.
Probably not misspelled, but "Americanized" when they immigrated here -- very common in my ancestry.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-08-13, 02:34 PM
Angelis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
Seriously?

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Old 04-08-13, 03:49 PM
JusticeZero
Rider

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I had one of their front hauler bikes for two weeks that I bought new. AMAZINGLY heavy, AMAZINGLY sturdy, rode pretty well, but the accessories that came with the bike - many of which were upgrades - were flimsy garbage and disintegrated.

Ended up returning the bike after two weeks because of extensive rust damage. It's been stored under cover, but sometimes when i'm out riding, it rains on me, you know? However, every part of the bike was having issues with rust bubbling up and breaking out from under the paint. Remember, the bike was new when I got it.

I have a Worksman back wheel now. The original wheel Giant had made was a lemon that chowed through spokes like potato chips, and restringing it hadn't helped. I'm #270 and carry groceries in an oversized rear delivery basket, and New Orleans roads would probably be made more rideable by a cluster bomb strike. I NEEDED the super heavy wheel.

I have been totally happy with how well the back wheel has held up. It's much heavier, it holds up to anything I put it through. I did have to replace the tread; the Worksman standard rubber is pretty flimsy.

That said, i've had that back wheel for just a few months now. The rim is almost completely coated in orange rust spots.

I'm really happy with the idea of the Worksman bike. However, i'm a bit irked by the actual product itself. The weight doesn't slow you down nearly as much as people imagine it would. It rides nice.

The things are indestructable like Superman. Unfortunately, much like Superman, the bike has a Kryptonite - and it's kryptonite is water. The things just rust up WAY too fast; I end up leery about how long the thing would really last because of how quickly the thing turns into a rusted hulk. When you see one of these bikes and it's covered in rust, you might be looking at last year's model. How long before that oxidization starts compromising the structure? None of our other steel bikes have this issue, and they get stored in the rain.

I'd be willing to pay a bit more if they were to improve their metallurgy and painting. Oh, and also the accessories like the pedals and seat and such, all of which failed dramatically within a week or two. I heard the bike shop grouching about uneven dropouts, too. I think they could bump their price point up a bit if they could address those things.
Old 04-08-13, 06:06 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Seriously?

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
That's a nice sentiment, expressed eloquently and in the friendly fashion one expects from caring and thoughtful people.
Old 04-09-13, 10:03 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
It's a quote from "Billy Madison."
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-09-13, 02:27 PM
Angelis

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Nothing but love.
Old 04-09-13, 05:52 PM
Gravity Aided

Nothing but love.
Nothing but love. And thanks to Thermionic Scott, as well.
Old 04-09-13, 06:32 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
The local county parks systems use these as rental bikes
Old 04-09-13, 06:38 PM
Gravity Aided

Originally Posted by plumberroy
The local county parks systems use these as rental bikes
Makes some sense. They do seem indestructible.
Old 07-16-15, 09:00 PM
TobiasKilroy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bumping to resuscitate old thread.

But seriously I am 6'1" #380 and a bicycle is my only means of transport.
Lately I've gotten into motoredbiking and I'm hooked. Well my fat ass needs a much stronger bike for my next build.

I am very much in love with the 18" in model. Love the lines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.