Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you like these styles?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you like these styles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-20, 08:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Charles Barkley?

John

That's where the adjectives come in.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-16-20, 09:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
-integrated sealed bearing headset
> have one on just 1 bike ..drops in in machined head tube.
- plastic pedals with reflectors
> Ergon have 2 sizes.. they're a special self lubricating plastic bushing (Could be Teflon) not a sealed bearing

-V-brakes > have 1 cable type.. (on my Bike Friday Tikit) ... Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes are mounted on V brake frame posts
- Mini V ... is said to solve supple fork ringing chatter better than center pull cantilevers.
-mostly silver components to avoid black paint that rubs off and looks cheap {Velo Orange is really into that} or (stick to Black Anodizing)
-Schrader tubes > like the Schwalbe AV, with the threaded stem..
; thru axles > solves issue for people who can't get the QR done up proper on disc brake forks
: kickstand plates > mid mount they're the best way to fit a kickstand..
Old 08-17-20, 04:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Fair enough, maybe we'll compromise. I'm not inclined to call a DUI bum rider or a kid on a Barbie bike a cyclist except in the broadest sense of the term. I'll still call that putt putt. I like your term "utility cyclist" and maybe I'll try "cycling enthusiast" for what has heretofore been known as "cyclist" on BF. And yes, again a bizarre couple of threads by OP. Is he trying to market a bike or just noodling?

What you call a "DUI bum rider" is probably someone more dependent on their bicycle than me or thee, and it's ridiculous to call that putt putt. Frankly, we're just assuming the badly dressed person on the cheap bike is doing it because they lost their license. You don't know whether they actually could afford a car.

Basically, I object to the elitist coopting of the word because it really is about limiting it to people who can treat cycling as a luxury. It also misses the point, people willing to drop top dollar to get small performance advantages are really a tiny minority of people who ride bikes.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-17-20, 05:23 AM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
If you can produce 250 cycle units per day, hold enough stock frames and parts for two months in lieu, have a net work of retail outlets to supply, find a reliable carrier firm and a reliable source of all parts from the far east...you may just about make a profit. I won't go into marketing, promotion, R&D and customer support that just complicates things.
Likes For Bob the Mech:
Old 08-17-20, 06:00 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
Back on topic, Black Mountain Cycles https://blackmtncycles.com/ seems to be making a go of small batch production/sales. Of course the owner had quite a bit of prior bike experience with an understanding of the market. He's said to be a nice guy and accessible. Probably be willing to give OP some tips, given they would be marketing to a different clientele.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-17-20, 06:23 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Fair enough, maybe we'll compromise. I'm not inclined to call a DUI bum rider or a kid on a Barbie bike a cyclist except in the broadest sense of the term. I'll still call that putt putt. I like your term "utility cyclist" and maybe I'll try "cycling enthusiast" for what has heretofore been known as "cyclist" on BF. And yes, again a bizarre couple of threads by OP. Is he trying to market a bike or just noodling?
Reminds me of some of the photography forums where the conventional wisdom suggests that one isn't a "photographer" unless one shoots with a $5000+ Leica "M" camera, and travels via rickshaw to remote tropical villages to shoot weary single mothers haggling over a few pieces of pineapple with the jaded street vendors st the sidewalk market. At the foot of an active volcano of course.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-17-20, 06:33 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
As I said, I'm moving to "cycling enthusiast" and giving over "cyclist" to the big tent folks. Probably some photography equivalent.
Old 08-17-20, 07:09 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
... Finding chainwheel guards as aftermarket parts is nearly impossible...
Go to the local coop and look in the discarded crankset bin. You'll find dozens with chainguards. Thank you, cyclists.
Old 08-17-20, 07:34 AM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
The choices out there I find pretty bleak. I mean my sister asked me what I'd suggest. So I looked online and saw bicycles like the Fuji Touring bike. Well, that does a chainguard and likely a more upright position which would make it more pleasant to ride. But it still has a steel frame instead of aluminum. The other choices out there, I wasn't sure what to say. I mean there's the Opus Classico Lightweight that has rim brakes but has a 1x drivetrain. There's the Trek Domane AL 3 but it has no chainguard, looks to have an aggressive position and no mention of Direct-Mount brakes (which I believe all modern road bikes should have). And there are no front rack mounts to speak of.

Look at the Giant Toughroad for example. I can celebrate the fact that Giant wants to make an interesting bike. But why not use 27.5x2.2" instead of 700x50? The tires they chose changes the geometry some people like. And no version with V-brakes? What if someone wants something easier to work with in the middle of the woods? Are people going to bleed hydraulic disc brakes on the side of the road? The front rack could also be attached to the upper front part of the fork to the middle of the fork like a Racktime Topit.

I mean I'm sure the bike designers are experts and these are large corporations but they don't seem to be able to get together and get things right.
You can't fight progress...

Are you talking about custom bike builds for each and every client, where their individual needs are met over mass produced general specifications to suit the masses? I build all my rides from scratch. I try not to buy the components that I can't reuse or I'm give nearly new (been very lucky with that one). I build them to suit my needs. It's a noble idea...but a coslty one. No economy of scale = higher unit costs per capita. A large scale manufactuer can produce a bike say for $1000...If as an individual, you had to build that same bike to order it could cost you twice as much. Add on a profit margin (got to pay for your labour some how) sales and income taxes, a bit to cover health insurance and your retail price to the client goes up, but the 'value' of your product goes down. And we haven't even ventured into work premises, rents, leases, business rates...

As for the variations in bike design there is no standardization as such, as each manufactuer wants to be a little different from the other. No one wants to be a Henry Ford: Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black. And different cycles do different thing for different people. And it all comes down to 'you gets whats you pays for'...or more aptly 'settle for'. Yeah, it may seem a compromise but the masses don't seem to mind, or just don't care and look for the best bang for their buck. There's nothing wrong with your ideas...but stepping backwards, tech or design wise, to step forward means standing still...

Now if we are talking about builds where all parts are supplied to you by the customer...well, that's a whole new ball game.
Old 08-17-20, 08:30 AM
Bob the Mech

To answer your question.

Aluminum frame & cro-mo fork with front & rear eyelets for racks & fenders Yes to alloy frame and cromoly forks as long as they take 27.5 and 700c wheels and no
press fit bottom brackets.
Hollowtech II 46/30T crankset with chainguard No... 1 x for functional simplicity which means no chain guard.
Iintegrated sealed bearing headset Yes
Sealed bearing plastic pedals with reflectors No... SPDs, I've a spare set kicking about. so no pedals required
V-brakes for hybrids, mini V-brakes for road bikes No...Discs (minimum requirement TRP Spyre cable) just save replacing rims.
Semi-slick tires like the Kenda Drumlin or Schwalbe Delta Cruiser Yes
Mostly silver components to avoid black paint that rubs off and looks cheap Yes
Schrader tubes No...as wheel rims above require Presta valves
Thru axles Yes...though cromoly forks with thru axles aren't that plentiful
Kickstand plates No

All sounds very much like a multi surface trekking / touring bike that I require...How much will that cost me?
Likes For Bob the Mech:
Old 08-19-20, 07:04 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
In reality, I think I know what this person means by not available. I've looked over and over again. First, some specific ones found on some online stores in Europe from Shimano are often out-of-stock. Second, the SKS Chainboard may not work on some cranksets. I tried to install one on a Sugino XD350 for my touring bike and found out even when I tried modifying it at two places, those cranksets were just too close to the Chainboard and rub on it. (I figure it's because it's more a road type than mountain type.) In any case, I did find a solution on eBay because I found one with 4 holes and 12cm between each hole. However, I had to use a hacksaw to cut around the crank so it would fit. (It wasn't molded properly.)
Old 08-19-20, 07:07 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

This is bizarre but I'll play for awhile. The first three seem OK. No interest in plastic flat pedals, even with reflectors. Mini Vs suck in comparison to normal road calipers. I like silver components but it's getting hard to find them that aren't cheap. Could live with Schrader but what's the point? Now tell us why you ask.
Don't mind the stupid sounding question but are you saying in terms of braking power road calipers work better than mini-Vs? Apart from tire clearance why would V-brakes even be used so often? In that case they should have direct-mount caliper brakes on a lot of bikes regardless of how difficult it is to replace a flat tube.
Old 08-19-20, 07:16 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not really sure why you are asking...?
Yeah, I understand it does look random if I say I don't have the money to start a bike company but want to know what people think. Thing is, after my sister asked me for a bike recommendation and I started looking at all kinds of manufacturer's web sites (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, and many more) I practically started panicking. I know there may be fewer and fewer rim brake fans out there but for simplicity on the road if you were traveling or going far, I would just prefer them. Besides, who's going to do grocery shopping with a carbon fork with a rack and panniers on it? I mean if you'd hit a pot hole you'd be wondering when it's going to explode. Right now bikes with rim brakes are often the lower-end models.

There may very well be at some point a real market for Alivio or Sora or Deore or Tiagra bikes (or even Acera or Claris) that have V-brakes or even large Direct-Mount caliper brakes with rigid forks and aluminum frames with either cro-mo or aluminum forks.
Old 08-19-20, 07:20 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Unfortunately I don’t think there is a chance that a small independent bicycle manufacturer can succeed with an aluminum frame steel fork bike.

That formula sits in the low to low-mid price range and offers no innovation nor does it create that steel is real mystic that companies like Soma have been able to occupy.

I don’t think it matters what components you use, it will be almost impossible to compete with Trek and Giant, not to mention the lower Schwinns.

John
I'm not sure it wouldn't be innovative. In some ways, going retro on certain things may actually be appreciated by some customers. I mean Bianchi has a L'Eroica vintage bike and Schwinn also has sometimes some classic edition bikes.
Old 08-19-20, 07:28 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

1-What's wrong with a quality steel frame?
2-What's wrong with a 1x drivetrain?
3-Why would a road bike have a chainguard and rack mounts, especially in the front?
4-Why would Giant limit their customers' tire choices so massively by using 27.5 slicks?
5-Are you fixing your bike in the middle of the woods? Why?
6-You don't need thru-axles with rim brakes. The advantage is for disc brake alignment.
Sounds to me like you want a base model Specialized Sirrus or any of the other big brand basic hybrids. Install a kickstand and a chainguard.
1. It could rust, it's heavier.
2. Double or triple crankset it more convenient.
3. Maybe some people would like a road bike with more flexibility.
4. Which part do you mean would repel customers? The 27.5" tires or slicks? I read an article saying that 650b allows you to have larger tires without making compromises on frame geometry. I meant semi-slick tires which would reduce road buzz that could numb your hands.
5. I meant obviously if you're traveling or going long distances. Rim brakes are more simple.
6. OK, seems fair but I don't see why thru-axles shouldn't be used on rim-brake bikes. I mean it looks far safer than 9mm QR. I've had a rear wheel almost come off with 9mm QR.
Old 08-19-20, 07:29 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

There's more to this, whatever this is about https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...2-4-tires.html
Well, that was one idea. It doesn't relate completely to everything addressed in this thread.
Old 08-19-20, 07:34 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Add a slack geometry and long chainstays and you have just described a gravel bike that can be used for commuting or touring, Especially with decent racks. Switch the front fork to carbon, add disc brakes and you have described the Diamondback Haanjo

46/30 compact crank implies Shimano's new GRX stuff. I really want to put one of those on my 2x11 Tamland, will give me the lower gearing I need for long rides with lots of gear. The GRX stuff isn't readily available just yet.

Every bike should use through axles, disc brakes or not.
46/30 cranks started appearing on hybrids with generic brand names. There are some other ones by Shimano like the square taper Tourney and a Hollowtech II model in the non-series (think it was something like MT201 or whatever although it was riveted).
Old 08-19-20, 09:41 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Just buy your sister one of these...

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journe...bar_claris_700

... and you won't have to worry about the fork rusting.

It would sure save a lot of headaches.

John
Old 08-20-20, 06:34 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think those are mostly the same design, just different sizes.

I bought one of those a few years back. Could not get it to fit on either of two bikes I tried it on, even with extensive hacking.

In my experience, fitting a chain guard on a frame not made for one can be pretty challenging. There are so many variables and ways a guard won’t fit. What it came down to for me is going through a number of tries with ones off of junked bikes, and it took a bit of ingenuity (and hacks) to get one to fit that did not look like crap. Then I needed to repaint it.
Old 08-20-20, 06:52 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
go steel on the whole thing
Old 08-20-20, 07:09 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Not sure why people think mechanical discs are harder to repair in the woods than rim brakes. Hydros yes, mechanical no.

If anything discs are more tolerate of damage, think riding with broken spokes or a poorly maintained out of true wheel.

Do people honestly worry about a front fork rusting?
Old 08-20-20, 08:38 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Do people honestly worry about a front fork rusting?
No.

Only posted that because OP said steel frames rust, but wanted a steel fork.

John
Old 08-20-20, 05:34 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
Maybe some people would like a road bike with more flexibility.
aka a gravel bike, a market with plenty of choices.
Old 08-23-20, 01:05 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

aka a gravel bike, a market with plenty of choices.
OK, but from my point of view I think some should be available with V-brakes or caliper brakes.
Old 08-23-20, 03:24 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Might be worth rethinking your criteria for a "cyclist", seems elitist. Not including an easily removable chainwheel guard saves you hardly any money but alienates many people who find putting on tights to be an unreasonable expectation for transporting oneself by bicycle. Finding chainwheel guards as aftermarket parts is nearly impossible. Learn more about peoples' interest in bicycling and you'll better understand why more people don't do it.

"Cyclists", the enemies of bicycle interest, acceptance and ubiquity.
Why would anyone need to wear tights to ride a bike to a location?
Just wear shorts. Or pants.
A $3 reflective pant leg tie keeps pkeepsclean and out of the chain. Or a $12 bash guard can do the same.

Everyone has different needs, but 'commuter' bikes are a small part of the US cycling world and therefore a small part of components because commuters are a small part of spending as a whole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.