Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Suteki

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-21, 12:50 AM
Camron

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Suteki

I'm looking at getting a suteki 26 inch for 60$ just as a good starter road bike. Is it a good bike I have sent few posts here about them maybe I just want to hear.drom some more people? I know it's a cheaper bike from the 80s but is it worth riding? will it still get me more speed and less effort than the average mountain bike. I want this to get to and from work and also for fishing trips is this a good find ?

Last edited by Camron; 07-20-21 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-20-21, 01:01 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 453 Posts
Picture Assistance

Originally Posted by Camron
I'm looking at getting a suteki 26 inch for 60$ just as a good starter road bike. Is it a good bike I have sent few posts here about them maybe I just want to hear.drom some more people? I know it's a cheaper bike from the 80s but is it worth riding? will it still get me more speed and less effort than the average mountain bike. I want this to get to and from work and also for fishing trips is this a good find ?
Old 07-20-21, 01:33 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
Yes to more speed and less effort than MTB. It would be fine for occasional use. The saddle that's on there now is better suited for an upright riding position so not ideal for this bike. Looks pretty nice cosmetically. Price is fair if it is ready to ride.

Last edited by Insidious C.; 07-20-21 at 01:35 AM. Reason: removed pic already posted ^
Old 07-20-21, 03:35 AM
hose
Miyata Mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
with some luck you should be able to find something more modern and comfortable for around $200. that is what i would try to do.
Old 07-20-21, 04:40 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3094 Post(s)
Liked 6,616 Times in 3,791 Posts
The Suteki bikes are good recreational bikes. They were made in the early 80's for Sears by Panasonic and they use standard early 80's Shimano components. Except for Covid related shortages, there should be no issue getting any needed replacement parts. The bike pictured above appears to be in good condition and could just need a tune up and new bar tape to get it road ready. And a different saddle.

Old 07-20-21, 08:47 AM
Camron

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hose
with some luck you should be able to find something more modern and comfortable for around $200. that is what i would try to do.
Well 200 is a bit out ofy price range 100$ would be the most I could do
Old 07-20-21, 08:50 AM
Camron

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cb400bill
The Suteki bikes are good recreational bikes. They were made in the early 80's for Sears by Panasonic and they use standard early 80's Shimano components. Except for Covid related shortages, there should be no issue getting any needed replacement parts. The bike pictured above appears to be in good condition and could just need a tune up and new bar tape to get it road ready. And a different saddle.
Good I thought it was in pretty good shape once I did some searching and found the age. And I agree with the seat it doesn't look the best. I will probably buy this just because it's $60 while I keep waiting for another bike to show up on facebook. Usually they are all beat up or mountain bikes or just way out my price range this is the first thing I have seem for the price that looks to be decent. He wanted 80 buy I got him to go 60
Likes For Camron:
Old 07-20-21, 07:03 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
I have never found a Suteki that blew my kilt up. A good bike? For the OP's intended purpose, a perfect bike. Not to expensive and probably not a thief magnet (that does not mean that it will not get stolen if one is not careful with the bike). It will be easier to pedal or spin and definitely faster that a similar quality mountain bike, but probably not nearly as comfortable as a mountain bike.

Would I use it to get to and from work? Yes. Would I want it for any other reason? Not really.
Old 07-20-21, 09:53 PM
Camron

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I have never found a Suteki that blew my kilt up. A good bike? For the OP's intended purpose, a perfect bike. Not to expensive and probably not a thief magnet (that does not mean that it will not get stolen if one is not careful with the bike). It will be easier to pedal or spin and definitely faster that a similar quality mountain bike, but probably not nearly as comfortable as a mountain bike.

Would I use it to get to and from work? Yes. Would I want it for any other reason? Not really.
​​​​​​So if I wanted speed I might not want this bike? I want a bike with speed I'm also looking at a what I believe i as an 18 speed sonoma 6 gears in back 3 in front