Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for specific kind of light

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-16, 03:21 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts

I know there is a lighting forum but this gets more attention, so I'll ask here for more opinions. I'm looking for a headlight for my bike, but something that does not look like, or attach like, a typical bike light. I have multiple Cateye headlights, and I like all of them, and they serve a specific use. But what I'm looking for now is something more simple. I don't want to leave the clamp mechanism on the bike, and I don't want the long cylinder shaped light. Basically I want something I can throw on and use as a front blinky for riding in traffic. I have seen and used a few of those silicone-band type, but the light on those is really weak. I like the compact shape of those, but I want a more powerful light. So, I guess what I'm asking is there anything like those quick-mount, compact, silicone type blinkys that actually put out a decent amount of light? I know most of those use coin-cell batteries, so I realize those will have limitations. But if there is something out there that is compact, quick mounting, and throws out good light, post it here!
Old 11-28-16, 03:30 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
There's only so much power you can draw from a watch battery, so I don't think you'll find anything with that same form factor that allows you to get a noticeably bright front blinky for commuting.

What's wrong with a clamp-style mount? Takes 10 seconds to install and you'd open up so many options that have seriously bright flashing modes. It's easy enough to bring it with you in a pocket if you don't want to leave it on the bike.
Old 11-28-16, 03:49 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to try Serfas thunderbolt headlight. 150 lumen blinky that will blind oncoming traffic and uses a ruber mount
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
[QUOTE=Dan333SP;19218868What's wrong with a clamp-style mount? Takes 10 seconds to install and you'd open up so many options that have seriously bright flashing modes. It's easy enough to bring it with you in a pocket if you don't want to leave it on the bike.[/QUOTE]

That's what I do.

Those smaller silicone ones are more for your urban rider with plenty of ambient light who just wants to be seen if they're accidentally caught out in the rain or out past dark unexpectedly (since they're conveniently small).
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Knog

https://usd.knog.com.au/bike/lights/...ke-lights.html
Old 11-28-16, 03:57 PM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Blackburn 2fer is about as bright as you'll find for that type of light. USB rechargeable, flashes white or red and also runs solid white or red. Great backup light as you can use it front or rear.
Old 11-28-16, 04:08 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Some great suggestions so far, thanks! Exactly what I'm looking for. Trying to keep the cockpit clean and uncluttered. Don't want to leave a mount, and the Cateye mounts are plastic, and will leave small scratches and marks on my high gloss bar. That's another reason why I want silicone/rubber types.
Old 11-28-16, 04:20 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Blackburn Central 100. The old Blackburn Flea was even better as a tiny "be seen" light, but I don't think they make it any more.
Old 11-28-16, 05:59 PM
BenPS
will stop for donuts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a "stick style" light, but the Bontrager Ion 350, Ion 700 and Ion 800 all come with silicone "rubber band style" mounts, and are easy on and off, and throw plenty of light
Old 11-29-16, 02:48 AM
chrughes

Bikes: Fuji Saratoga 650b, Merlin Ti, Miyata 512

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Cygolite Dart. Small, bright, and easy on/off the bars. Available in 100 and 210 lumen models.

I also like the Serfas Thunderbolt, but I believe it uses a previous gen battery as it didnt have the life of the Cygolite.

Old 11-29-16, 05:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4758 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by chrughes
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Cygolite Dart. Small, bright, and easy on/off the bars. Available in 100 and 210 lumen models.

I also like the Serfas Thunderbolt, but I believe it uses a previous gen battery as it didnt have the life of the Cygolite.

And, if the 'Dart' isn't bright enough, I think the same brand Dash models go up to 600 lumens.
Old 12-01-16, 04:38 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I use one of these:

Bicycle Bike Cycling 3LED Front Light USB Rechargeable Safe Lamp Reflector White | eBay

Works great...
Old 12-01-16, 05:07 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
All the OP wants is a bright blinky. He doesn't want a large 350+ lumen light.

Blackburn Central 100 is an excellent light for riding in traffic. Definitely daytime visible. Performance Bike usually has them in stock.

I wrap mine around the spacers under the handlebar. It is completely out of the way there.

https://www.blackburndesign.com/ligh...ont-light.html

$35. Done.

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-01-16 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-02-16, 12:11 PM
stockae92

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For just a blinker, Knog is nice. I have the blinder 1 LED. Its great for what it is. Its simple, rechargeable, light weight (15g), and it blinks. but depends on the real estate on your handlebar, it may or may not work well. I actually "wear it" on my finger for night runs too, haha.

Funny enough, I just saw the Cygolite Dash Pro 600. I think its a great light. And I read good review on the runtime and constant regulated output. I am thinking of getting one for winter cause it gets dark earlier.
Old 12-02-16, 05:43 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
https://www.rei.com/product/110177/c...ont-bike-light

Currently using this for the exact same reason as the OP. I had the Dash 320 and it was fine. This one is brighter, battery lasts longer, and I have been very happy with both, this one more since it is brighter. Single or dual flash mode.
Old 12-02-16, 06:04 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the cygolite clamp. Takes seconds to attach and the rechargeable usb is nice. Like riding with fresh battery every ride, if you charge it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cygo.JPG (21.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 12-02-16, 06:48 PM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by ClydeTim
I like the cygolite clamp. Takes seconds to attach and the rechargeable usb is nice. Like riding with fresh battery every ride, if you charge it.
I have one of those as well, and compared to the Dash, it takes a lot longer. You also need to adjust it so you are aimed slightly downward and then tighten. Put the Dash on, pull the strap and done.
Old 12-02-16, 07:18 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 183 Posts
A lot of times these lights like the one above are just rebranded Chinese Raypal lights like the Blitzu Gator 320 that had Raypal labeled innards when I opened it up. Here's the same light as my $30 Blitzu for under $12
Forget the lumen rating in the text. It is an honest 320 lumens. Still not as bright as my XML-T6 flashlight which is far easier to deal with (removable Li-ion battery) and is equally cheap.
Old 12-02-16, 08:26 PM
bleui

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've never use this, but it looks compact
Old 12-03-16, 12:11 AM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I have one of those as well, and compared to the Dash, it takes a lot longer. You also need to adjust it so you are aimed slightly downward and then tighten. Put the Dash on, pull the strap and done.

Ummm OK! I install mine within 20 seconds or so. I guess that is a lot longer.
Old 12-03-16, 10:57 AM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by ClydeTim
Ummm OK! I install mine within 20 seconds or so. I guess that is a lot longer.
Just put mine on. 4 seconds and walked away. It is also much lower profile and the OP specifically asked for lights where the mount is not left on the bar.
Old 12-03-16, 03:04 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
I know there is a lighting forum but this gets more attention, so I'll ask here for more opinions. I'm looking for a headlight for my bike, but something that does not look like, or attach like, a typical bike light. I have multiple Cateye headlights, and I like all of them, and they serve a specific use. But what I'm looking for now is something more simple. I don't want to leave the clamp mechanism on the bike, and I don't want the long cylinder shaped light. Basically I want something I can throw on and use as a front blinky for riding in traffic. I have seen and used a few of those silicone-band type, but the light on those is really weak. I like the compact shape of those, but I want a more powerful light. So, I guess what I'm asking is there anything like those quick-mount, compact, silicone type blinkys that actually put out a decent amount of light? I know most of those use coin-cell batteries, so I realize those will have limitations. But if there is something out there that is compact, quick mounting, and throws out good light, post it here!
Most lights are worthless. The lights that are good are few and far between and they cost- but they can save your life.
This light is far more likely to save your life than that stupid piece of 200 dollar styrofoam you put on your head-
https://store.dinottelighting.com/xpl...kage-p211.aspx
I use these lights day and night. I started with them at night and was so impressed with how the traffic would not pass me until they had a clear lane that I started using them during the day. And guess what-in the day I noticed the same thing- traffic waited to pass me giving me an extremely wide zone to pass me. You want a light that makes texting idiots glance up and say to themselves " Whoa- what the ef is that."
I have repeatedly had people stop me and ask what they were and where I got them- last week a guy passed me at noon on a cloudy day , turned around and pulled up alongside me and said " Dude, where the Frickin hell did you get that light, I could see you a mile away".
That's the kind of response you want, and in spending more you will 1) likely make that piece of foam crap on your head totally unnecessary, and 2) save yourself the cost of an ambulance/ ER trip in the future.
The makers- Dinotte, suggest only using the amber light during the day and their amber is bright enough to make an excellent night light as well. I will say I use the white light day and night and the white light really, really powerfully noticed.
Also the elastic strap is perfect- no screws, tight and very easy to use.

Last edited by surgeonstone; 12-03-16 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-03-16, 03:13 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
All the OP wants is a bright blinky. He doesn't want a large 350+ lumen light.

Blackburn Central 100 is an excellent light for riding in traffic. Definitely daytime visible. Performance Bike usually has them in stock.

I wrap mine around the spacers under the handlebar. It is completely out of the way there.

https://www.blackburndesign.com/ligh...ont-light.html

$35. Done.

No he wants a large 350 plus lumen. Brightness always wins and a bright blinky is hardly bright.
Old 12-03-16, 03:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18417 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,366 Posts
I've got two of these.
Very bight.
Little rubber band holds them in place (easy to put on and off, and focus).
Takes an external battery pack, so it takes a moment longer to mount and remove, but not bad.

3000Lumen XM-L2 LED 8.4V Front Bicycle Light Bike Lamp Torch Outdoor 4 Modes New | eBay

(battery packs not included in that one, look for 8.4V battery packs)