Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacement for Tiagra FD?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-20, 09:01 AM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts

I am looking for a replacement for a Tiagra front derailleur. This is on a 1998 Fuji Newest. The chainrings are 52-42-30. 9 speed cassette. Shifters are Tiagra brifters. Anyone know a good derailleur that will work here? 28.6 clamp-on.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-20, 09:13 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by kross57
I am looking for a replacement for a Tiagra front derailleur. This is on a 1998 Fuji Newest. The chainrings are 52-42-30. 9 speed cassette. Shifters are Tiagra brifters. Anyone know a good derailleur that will work here? 28.6 clamp-on.

Thanks!
A new Tiagra should work. It’s a 3x10 but the 3 part hasn’t really changed. Alternatively, the Sora is 9 speed and will work with your STI levers. Claris is 8 speed and will also work with your shifters. Both will come in a 32 (ish) mm diameter with spacers to make it fit your frame.

Going down in terms of quality level isn’t a bad thing when it comes to Shimano’s front derailers, by the way. Shimano’s cheaper front derailers are easier to set up and work better for a wider gear range on the back. The derailer cage tends to be wider in the cheaper front derailers.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-22-20, 09:19 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by cyccommute
A new Tiagra should work. It’s a 3x10 but the 3 part hasn’t really changed. Alternatively, the Sora is 9 speed and will work with your STI levers. Claris is 8 speed and will also work with your shifters. Both will come in a 32 (ish) mm diameter with spacers to make it fit your frame.

Going down in terms of quality level isn’t a bad thing when it comes to Shimano’s front derailers, by the way. Shimano’s cheaper front derailers are easier to set up and work better for a wider gear range on the back. The derailer cage tends to be wider in the cheaper front derailers.
Thank you!
Old 07-22-20, 02:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
I used a Sora FD a couple of years ago. It was what I could easily find in silver, 28.6. It worked well, looked good. Amazingly cheap.
Old 07-22-20, 03:29 PM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts
I replaced a Tiagra 4503 with a Sora and there was no perceivable change in shifting. I later repaired the 4503 and am using it on another bike. If the spring retaining tab broke on yours, as they often do, take a look at the following thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...macguyver.html . The repair was relatively easy and it is performing well.
Likes For mitchmellow62:
Old 07-22-20, 04:54 PM
kross57

Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
I replaced a Tiagra 4503 with a Sora and there was no perceivable change in shifting. I later repaired the 4503 and am using it on another bike. If the spring retaining tab broke on yours, as they often do, take a look at the following thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...macguyver.html . The repair was relatively easy and it is performing well.
Cool beans! I will give that a shot as Plan A.
Old 07-23-20, 09:19 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by mitchmellow62
If the spring retaining tab broke on yours, as they often do, take a look at the following thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...macguyver.html . The repair was relatively easy and it is performing well.
Noted and bookmarked. You learn something every day.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-23-20, 04:15 PM
kross57

i tried the repair but it didn't hold. There is not a lot of aluminum where you need to drill. A better man than I might get it to work, though.

Looking at Shimano replacements, most are limited to a 50-tooth chain ring max. I finally ordered this. Looks correct. I'll find out.

https://www.target.com/p/microshift-...d/-/A-77415282
Old 07-23-20, 04:32 PM
cyccommute 

i tried the repair but it didn't hold. There is not a lot of aluminum where you need to drill. A better man than I might get it to work, though.

Looking at Shimano replacements, most are limited to a 50-tooth chain ring max. I finally ordered this. Looks correct. I'll find out.

Should work. It’s hard to mess up a front derailer...Shimano seems to have, however...I have a Microshift on one of my bikes to replace the Tiagra that broke. It works just fine.

Side note: The max chain ring rating is more of a suggestion then an absolute. The Microshift I’m using is being used on a 46 tooth mountain ring. It does very well. I’ve got some front derailers working on 48 tooth rings and 52 tooth rings. No issues anywhere.

Old 07-24-20, 02:59 AM
kross57

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Should work. It’s hard to mess up a front derailer...Shimano seems to have, however...I have a Microshift on one of my bikes to replace the Tiagra that broke. It works just fine.

Side note: The max chain ring rating is more of a suggestion then an absolute. The Microshift I’m using is being used on a 46 tooth mountain ring. It does very well. I’ve got some front derailers working on 48 tooth rings and 52 tooth rings. No issues anywhere.
I appreciate the info. I just don't have enough experience to go beyond what the maker says, at least when ordering new. If I had something close in the parts bin, I'd certainly try it.
Old 07-24-20, 10:35 AM
mitchmellow62

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 41 Posts

That's too bad that the fix didn't work for you. I imagine a lot depends on how/where the original tab broke and where one decides to drill the hole. Perhaps not all have enough remaining metal. On review, my repair certainly doesn't look identical to the original poster. I have never used a microshift FD but I do have a 9 speed RD that has been very good and wouldn't hesitate to use other components of the brand.
Likes For mitchmellow62:
Old 07-27-20, 01:28 PM
kross57

The microshift r10 triple worked out fine.
Likes For kross57:
Old 07-27-20, 04:15 PM
dsb_mac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i changed my broken tiagra to a sora.