Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

"The five" host brags about dooring bicyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

"The five" host brags about dooring bicyclist

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-13, 08:28 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Matariki
Bad assumption. I've been hit from behind by a cyclist on an MUP. He apparently was planning on passing to the left of me but oncoming traffic did not permit him squeezing through. Too much speed and too little judgement. Lucky that I was just grazed and not taken down.

It's unfortunate that the cycling menaces cause us all to be labeled
Not necessarily, when I'm on a bike path or MUP, pedestrians do not look at me with scorn, since when I pass, I do so at a safe distance and at a speed close to theirs. I did happen to scare one pedestrian woman on a local pathway, when approaching her from behind, I moved off the paved area and onto the gravel shoulder several feet away from her, the sound of my tires running on the gravel shoulder startled her.
Old 07-27-13, 08:39 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Fox News? That's like watching the slimy things that live under rocks. What do you expect to see?
Old 07-27-13, 07:59 PM
SnowJob
Dirt junkie.

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Peacock Groove road bikem, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
LOL ^^

Fox is a joke. Unfortunately a lot of people will only get their "news" from Fox because they buy the hype. Remember the study a few years back that showed Fox viewers had the lowest comprehension of current events, with CNN and others just a bit better. That's the state of our for-profit news services: guess what, they suck at disseminating useful and truthful information.
Old 07-29-13, 07:52 AM
PiLigand
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got to say, of all things I've seen/heard on Fox News, this wasn't too bad. To break down what they said:

1) This cyclist was speeding and violating traffic laws. He then caused a collision that killed a man. He should be held accountable
-They probably don't know how different it is stopping on a bike from a car, but that doesn't change the facts. This man should definitely be held accountable.

2) Cyclists should obey the same traffic laws as motorists and do so responsibly and safely. This includes speed management.
-I totally agree with this. Does anyone not? Thoughts?

3) Cycling often leads to arrogance among cyclists and causes them to do stupid things.
- If you've spent any time at all on this forum, you know that there are way too many arrogant cyclists giving the rest of us a bad name.

4) Cyclists should use bike paths and get off the roads.
- Hell no. Bike paths are nice. I ride one almost daily. But we're just as entitled to the road SO LONG AS we obey points 1 and 2.

5) Dooring cyclists is fun and totally justifiable
- F*** this guy very much. Him, I wouldn't have a problem hitting. Maybe that's why I get a steel bike.
Old 07-29-13, 08:06 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Beckel is the leftwing extremist on the five. At least Fox has a varied view point. Unlike the MSM, they do not get their news directly from the DNC. Dont the Fox haters just love what Beckel says about fully kitted roadies. Makes you wonder if all leftwingers hate roadies.
Old 07-29-13, 09:22 AM
Brandonub

Bikes: 2012 Cervelo R3 Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Dont the Fox haters just love what Beckel says about fully kitted roadies. Makes you wonder if all leftwingers hate roadies.
No, it makes me think that fat, bitter alcoholics tend to not like cyclists.
Old 07-29-13, 09:31 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If this thread is going to turn into a discussion about Fox News then it will get moved to P&R. Please keep your posts related to A&S topics.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 07-29-13, 09:37 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My thoughts are inserted in the quote in bold....

Originally Posted by PiLigand
I've got to say, of all things I've seen/heard on Fox News, this wasn't too bad. To break down what they said:

1) This cyclist was speeding and violating traffic laws. He then caused a collision that killed a man. He should be held accountable
-They probably don't know how different it is stopping on a bike from a car, but that doesn't change the facts. This man should definitely be held accountable.

Absolutely.
2) Cyclists should obey the same traffic laws as motorists and do so responsibly and safely. This includes speed management.
-I totally agree with this. Does anyone not? Thoughts?

I agree -- yet they approach this from the usual motorist standpoint of the unspoken "like WE who are mature, DRIVERS....", which is MY problem with them.

3) Cycling often leads to arrogance among cyclists and causes them to do stupid things.
- If you've spent any time at all on this forum, you know that there are way too many arrogant cyclists giving the rest of us a bad name.

Again, as if motorists do NOT have this issue, just because driving is mainstream.
4) Cyclists should use bike paths and get off the roads.
- Hell no. Bike paths are nice. I ride one almost daily. But we're just as entitled to the road SO LONG AS we obey points 1 and 2.
This is so UBIQUITOUS, it's nauseating; and, point of order: OUR 'entitlement' to the road IS the same as theirs, points 1&2 notwithstanding -- if THEY fail to adhere to the rules of the road, they are subject to the same revocation of privilege that we are.
5) Dooring cyclists is fun and totally justifiable
- F*** this guy very much. Him, I wouldn't have a problem hitting. Maybe that's why I get a steel bike.
When he tries someone MY size, who will see it coming, he won't think it's so fun....
Old 07-29-13, 12:20 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I dont think we should get our knickers in a knot over 5 people from NYC. I can assure you they know little about cycling. Chances are some of them dont even have a drivers license. Im sure there are places in NY it is fine to ride a bike, but I think you would have to be nuts to ride in the main part of the city.
Old 07-29-13, 12:47 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts

Yet they did not note that the defense proved the cyclist entered the intersection on a yellow. As bad as the rest of his actions were, he did not run a red light at this intersection, as he has repeatedly been demonized for.

And if cyclist are to be properly held accountable, then pedestrians entering the crosswalk early need the same accountability.
Old 07-29-13, 03:07 PM
Bikerer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Yet they did not note that the defense proved the cyclist entered the intersection on a yellow. As bad as the rest of his actions were, he did not run a red light at this intersection, as he has repeatedly been demonized for.

And if cyclist are to be properly held accountable, then pedestrians entering the crosswalk early need the same accountability.
if a bunch of pedestrians jaywalk and a car just decides to say "**** it, they dont belong there" and plow through im sure there would be an arrest as well. I actually think the penalties would be harsher. That said.. it is annoying that pedestrians absolutely do not treat bicycles as vehicles and have no qualms stepping out in front of you when you have right of way.

What sort of burns me a bit is this idea that people on bikes are these "leftist environmental warriors". Most of the bikers I know actually tend to lean more conservative (though that may be just be a part of the sports bicycling culture).
Old 07-29-13, 03:21 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerer
if a bunch of pedestrians jaywalk and a car just decides to say "**** it, they dont belong there" and plow through im sure there would be an arrest as well. I actually think the penalties would be harsher. That said.. it is annoying that pedestrians absolutely do not treat bicycles as vehicles and have no qualms stepping out in front of you when you have right of way.

What sort of burns me a bit is this idea that people on bikes are these "leftist environmental warriors". Most of the bikers I know actually tend to lean more conservative (though that may be just be a part of the sports bicycling culture).
The problem with your metaphor is that either motorist or cyclist, you are STILL responsible for not hitting that which is right in front of you. (although apparently motorists have to be reminded of that fact with a sign...)

But the fact is you are NOT supposed to hit those right in front of you...
Old 07-29-13, 03:31 PM
Bikerer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
But the fact is you are NOT supposed to hit those right in front of you...
Uh.. try re-reading my post again. You basically reiterated what I said but in the form of an argument.
Old 07-29-13, 03:52 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

There is plenty of blame on the cyclist, but running a red light at this intersection is not one.

Had it been a motorist going into the intersection on a yellow, the DA would have put all the blame on the pedestrian.
Old 07-29-13, 04:59 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Bikerer
Uh.. try re-reading my post again. You basically reiterated what I said but in the form of an argument.
I meant to do that... as "not running into things in front of us" should be so basic as to not need being said; but in fact we have to say it all the time, and even need a special sign to remind motorists to not do this seemingly most obvious thing.

Silly, eh?

It's OK, you are right, but we apparently have to remind folks, over and over again. Maybe it's just the steering wheel...
Old 07-29-13, 05:35 PM
mr645

Bikes: Fuji Altamira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fox news casters are just jealous because they are all too fat to ride a bike
Old 07-29-13, 05:51 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by mr645
Fox news casters are just jealous because they are all too fat to ride a bike
If you think some of those women are fat, you need a new TV with proper horizontal adjust.
Old 07-29-13, 06:44 PM
PiLigand

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I did not know this. I guess I just took their word for it that ran two red lights. They did say that, right? Was I just making that up in my head? Anyways, I'll re-watch it.

I suppose if it were/was (not sure if this should be subjunctive or not) then it makes sense that the man shouldn't be prosecuted. I guess? It's not a good situation. Still, cyclists need to obey the rules and motorists need to recognize that cyclists are doing so and ctfo.
Old 07-29-13, 07:20 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

I did not know this. I guess I just took their word for it that ran two red lights. They did say that, right? Was I just making that up in my head? Anyways, I'll re-watch it.

I suppose if it were/was (not sure if this should be subjunctive or not) then it makes sense that the man shouldn't be prosecuted. I guess? It's not a good situation. Still, cyclists need to obey the rules and motorists need to recognize that cyclists are doing so and ctfo.
They took their story straight from the DA that did claim he had witnesses that saw the cyclist run 3 stop lights/signs before this intersection. The DA had an expert witness view the video to come up with speeds, etc., but in the same video the defense pointed to the corner where a yellow light was visible when the cyclist entered.

I was very disappointed that Fox Five did not point out the defense evidence.

Last edited by CB HI; 07-29-13 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-30-13, 05:12 AM
PiLigand

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They took their story straight from the DA that did claim he had witnesses that saw the cyclist run 3 stop lights/signs before this intersection. The DA had an expert witness view the video to come up with speeds, etc., but in the same video the defense pointed to the corner where a yellow light was visible when the cyclist entered.

I was very disappointed that Fox Five did not point out the defense evidence.
I'm disappointed as well. Normally I'd say something like "That's fox news for ya," but this isn't even a liberal vs conservative thing. Unless they're trying to just make cyclists blanket liberals. Which I guess it seems kinda like they are, but I can't imagine why. Yeah, this doesn't make any sense to me. F***ing Fox News...
Old 07-30-13, 07:10 AM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
Judging by the end result without knowing anything else is a dangerous way to go.

I'd want to at least know where the pedestrians were. My initial assumptions regarding cause will be far different for a pedestrian in a crosswalk and one in the middle of the block on a high speed street.
Either is avoidable, so why does it matter?
Old 07-30-13, 07:45 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts

Here's the Forbes magazine article written by someone who actually attended the hearing and saw the relevant video as well as the other testimony.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...m/#abovethelaw

Here's her paragraph about the barely-visible traffic light:

>>That’s when, for the umpteenth time that day, Bucchere’s defense attorney, Ted Cassman, played the 30 seconds of video. He pointed out in a small, barely visible corner of the video a traffic light. The expert, to whom the state had paid $200 an hour to analyze the video, hadn’t previously spotted it. The video now seemed to tell a different story. It looks like Bucchere entered the intersection just as the light turned red. Many pedestrians, including the first witness, were already in the crosswalks despite the 3.5 second “all red.” Three seconds after entering the intersection, Bucchere hit Sui. He might have been able to swerve left to avoid him, but the first witness — who clearly entered the crosswalk very early — left that path blocked.<<

(Emphasis mine.) As you see it's not completely clear cut, and the eyewitnesses were wrong. However it's twisting things to say that it's 'proved' he went through a yellow light. It might have raised a 'reasonable doubt' in a jury about the light timing, but there was other evidence, and he wasn't being prosecuted for running a red light, but for vehicular homicide. So Bucchere and the defense decided not to take that chance, and he's now a convicted felon.

Even Bucchere is not defending himself anymore.

As for being disappointed in Fox News for not being 'fair and balanced' about this...someone's got a real shock coming some Christmas.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 07-30-13 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-30-13, 04:30 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Here's the Forbes magazine article written by someone who actually attended the hearing and saw the relevant video as well as the other testimony.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirh...m/#abovethelaw

Here's her paragraph about the barely-visible traffic light:
Chicago Al,
How odd that you missed this part of the same story.
Bucchere was going far too fast, but he may have run a very late yellow rather than a red, a mistake made worse because of the pedestrians entering the crosswalk very early.
PS - The DAs case hinged on Bucchere running a red light.
Old 07-30-13, 05:04 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Back to dooring the cyclist, isn't it at least theoretically possible that the Five host could be prosecuted? After all, it is a crime and even though the victim is long gone, he did incriminate himself. People have been given tickets for less, for videos posted on youtube, why not TV hosts?

If it had been me doored by that guy, after hearing him brag about it on TV I'd have him in court.
Old 07-30-13, 05:07 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Back to dooring the cyclist, isn't it at least theoretically possible that the Five host could be prosecuted? After all, it is a crime and even though the victim is long gone, he did incriminate himself. People have been given tickets for less, for videos posted on youtube, why not TV hosts?

If it had been me doored by that guy, after hearing him brag about it on TV I'd have him in court.
He also stated that he paid the cyclist $40, so it is quite possible he already "settled" out of court.

Not all doorings result in terrible harm to the cyclist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.