Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What spoke tension should this be running?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 11:33 AM
guy2600

Bikes: 2004 Felt F90, Sette Ace 26" MB, Specialized Shiv TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The rear wheel is 105 hub, dt swiss comp spokes 2.0 drive side, 1.8 non drive side, open pro rim. I'm using a park tension meter. The drive side should be running higher tension than the rear, correct? The drive side should be close in tension and the non drive side should be what ever it needs to be for it to run true? That's what I've heard. Drive side currently measures 23-25, non drive side 15-20 with most of them 17.

Front wheel is 105 hub, dt comp 1.8's, open pro. Currently it runs about 19.

I bought these from BWW and after the first ride the rear ran out. Jut trying to get a feel for what I should be shooting for, first time doing it. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-06-10, 11:55 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
With the wheel dished...

1. Try to get the drive side closer to the 25 on average than the 24...i.e, try have mostly 24.5 on the dial as opposed to 24 even.

[That'll get you to the 110 - 115 kgf range...]

2. You will have to stress relieve...true...stress relieve...true....stress relieve...several times before it finally stays true after a FINAL stress relieve. Each stress relieve action should be two turns of the wheel each time. One turn releases...next turn settles...

3. Make sure you jiggle the tool up and down a tad using an underside resting finger tap BEFORE reading the tool each time. Else your readings will be inaccurate showing a higher tension than you really have.

4. As to the front - just get 'em up to 21.5 on average and you'll be fine.

[That'll get you somewhere past 100 kgf - approx. 103 to 105 kgf?...]

You are working with a very soft and lightweight rim...I bend over backward to stay away from using straight 14g (2.0) spokes on them - I prefer double-butted working downards in guage. 2.0/1.7/2.0 Ritchey Logic spokes from my experience seem to be a marriage made in heaven with these rims. If you can switch to those - I thnk you'll really like the result.

=8-)
Old 03-06-10, 12:10 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by guy2600
The drive side should be close in tension and the non drive side should be what ever it needs to be for it to run true?
The non-drive side should be whatever it takes to center the rim between the dropouts (properly dished).
Old 03-06-10, 02:44 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943
The non-drive side should be whatever it takes to center the rim between the dropouts (properly dished).
And you should make at least an attempt to get even tension on the non-drive side just like the drive side. I would not be happy with tension ranging from 15-20 on my tensionmeter for the non-drive side.
Old 03-06-10, 03:10 PM
blamp28
Bikaholic

Bikes: Trek Fuel 90, Giant OCR, Rans Screamer Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
And you should make at least an attempt to get even tension on the non-drive side just like the drive side. I would not be happy with tension ranging from 15-20 on my tensionmeter for the non-drive side.
+1. If the rim is in good shape, you should be able to get all or most into a narrow band like 17-17.5. Many will say that tension is balanced when all spokes on a given side of a dished wheel or all spokes in a non dished wheel are within 20% I shoot for well under 10% especially realizing that the Park Tension meter is far from scientific and has some variability already. I downloaded a cool spoke tension excel spreadsheet from Park a few years ago that actually does a nice job of illustrating graphically your wheel tension. You may be able to find it on their site of PM me an email address and I'll send it to you.
Old 03-07-10, 09:46 PM
guy2600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to thank you guys for the help. It took me 2 hours (first time) but I got the drive side 25 +/- .75 and the non drive side 20 +/- 1. It's not spot on perfect but pretty close and WAAYYY better than it was! I was thinking I'd have to get a new wheel. Thanks again!
Old 03-07-10, 10:04 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I want to thank you guys for the help. It took me 2 hours (first time) but I got the drive side 25 +/- .75 and the non drive side 20 +/- 1. It's not spot on perfect but pretty close and WAAYYY better than it was! I was thinking I'd have to get a new wheel. Thanks again!
Stress relieve and untwist the spokes until it settles - also throw a tyre/tube on there for maximum truing effectiveness. Go ride it and true again. Tension will drop when a tyre is inflated onto the rim.
Old 03-07-10, 11:49 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Stress relieve and untwist the spokes until it settles - also throw a tyre/tube on there for maximum truing effectiveness. Go ride it and true again. Tension will drop when a tyre is inflated onto the rim.
They really dropped with my Kinlin XR-200s! I shouldn't be surprised with such a soft rim, but wow.
Old 03-08-10, 10:26 AM
dubes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Everything that operator says is true. But if I may clarify, most sources I have seen (including the folks at Park Tool and I vaguely recall Sheldon Brown) state that unless the rim manufacturer has specifically said otherwise, spoke tension is typically measured without the tire mounted (or at least inflated). Here is the quote from the Park Tool website that is linked above (about midway or so down the page; this is a simple cut-and-paste, so any typos / grammatical errors in this passage are courtesy of Park Tool):
Tension Recommendations

Rim manufacturers have set tension recommendations from as low as 80 Kilograms Force to as high as 230 Kilograms force. Generally, the heavier and strong the rim, the more tension it can handle. A light rim may be weight from 280 grams to 350 grams. A heavy rim may be said to weigh 450 grams or more. Additionally, rim eyelets may help distribute the load on the rim wall. A lack on eyelets on a light rim may imply less spoke tension is required. Always consult the rim manufacture for the most up to date specifications. Note that these manufactuers give specification for the wheel without tire, or without inflated tire. Tire pressure will have the effect of lowering the tension of the wheel. Generally, do not try to account for this drop by adding more tension then recommended by the manufacturer.
Old 03-08-10, 01:08 PM
Al1943

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The final lateral true and dish need to be set with the tire and tube fully inflated to riding pressure. The dish can change by a measurable amount on a rear wheel due to the asymmetrical, left to right, spoke tension.
Old 03-09-10, 06:33 AM
guy2600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tension did drop about 1.5-2 on the meter once inflated. What about runout concentric to the spindle (not sure how to describe), not side to side runout or dish, runout along the bottom. Is this as important as the other 2? My rear wheel was so far out, I got everything else dialed in but this aspect was out a bit, maybe a 1/16" high to low. Is it as important to get this dialed in as well or should I not worry about it as much and just ride the thing...
Old 03-09-10, 02:45 PM
mrrabbit 

With a naked eye...

Do a click here...a click there if necessary to ensure that the rim is centered betweent the pads such that any deviations can't be noticed unless you stick a toothpick alongside the seatstay as a reference.

If hops aren't noticeable more than a millimeter...go ride...

=8-)
Old 03-09-10, 02:47 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by dubes
Everything that operator says is true. But if I may clarify, most sources I have seen (including the folks at Park Tool and I vaguely recall Sheldon Brown) state that unless the rim manufacturer has specifically said otherwise, spoke tension is typically measured without the tire mounted (or at least inflated). Here is the quote from the Park Tool website that is linked above (about midway or so down the page; this is a simple cut-and-paste, so any typos / grammatical errors in this passage are courtesy of Park Tool):
Tension Recommendations

Rim manufacturers have set tension recommendations from as low as 80 Kilograms Force to as high as 230 Kilograms force. Generally, the heavier and strong the rim, the more tension it can handle. A light rim may be weight from 280 grams to 350 grams. A heavy rim may be said to weigh 450 grams or more. Additionally, rim eyelets may help distribute the load on the rim wall. A lack on eyelets on a light rim may imply less spoke tension is required. Always consult the rim manufacture for the most up to date specifications. Note that these manufactuers give specification for the wheel without tire, or without inflated tire. Tire pressure will have the effect of lowering the tension of the wheel. Generally, do not try to account for this drop by adding more tension then recommended by the manufacturer.
I've read that and I disagree.

What's the point of having proper tension on the wheel when that's not even the tension the wheel sees when it actually hits the pavement? Riddle me that. Not to mention some rim/spoke/hub combos will have unpredictable tension decreases. Sometimes a lot.

So unless I hear a better reason not to be more concerned with final spoke tension with tyre/tube inflated i'm going to stick by that. I read no justification whatsoever on that park page. Some rims will be able to handle significantly higher spoke tension than official rated spec.
Old 03-09-10, 03:27 PM
Al1943

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The tension did drop about 1.5-2 on the meter once inflated. What about runout concentric to the spindle (not sure how to describe), not side to side runout or dish, runout along the bottom. Is this as important as the other 2? My rear wheel was so far out, I got everything else dialed in but this aspect was out a bit, maybe a 1/16" high to low. Is it as important to get this dialed in as well or should I not worry about it as much and just ride the thing...
If you get the "radial true" as good as possible with the tire and tube off the wheel it will be good enough with the tire and tube on. It doesn't do any good to try to radial true the wheel with the tire on due to imperfections in the tire.
Old 10-02-13, 06:20 PM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to resurrect old threads..

Confused about spoke tension. Searching through old topics, people seem to recommend ~100kgf. Now maybe I'm being anal, but 100kg force = 100N, do they mean 100kg mass (where I'm sitting that equates to 980N)? The tensiometer I borrowed has charts to convert what is measured on the gauge to Newtons (force), and they all have a minimum of 300N.. why would the charts start at 3x the recommended tension?
Old 10-02-13, 09:30 PM
mrrabbit 

Originally Posted by kmv2

Confused about spoke tension. Searching through old topics, people seem to recommend ~100kgf. Now maybe I'm being anal, but 100kg force = 100N, do they mean 100kg mass (where I'm sitting that equates to 980N)? The tensiometer I borrowed has charts to convert what is measured on the gauge to Newtons (force), and they all have a minimum of 300N.. why would the charts start at 3x the recommended tension?
100 kgf = 980 Newtons

Most tensionmeters for bicycle wheels start out at about 45-55 kgf on the charts - and go on to about 180kgf.

So the base of interpretation is about 1/4.

Of the 100 kgf about 1/2.

300N is about 1/3 of 980N.

...go poor vinegar down and ant hill and have some fun.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 10-03-13, 12:54 AM
Zef

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kmv2

100kgf does not equal 100N

1kgf equals approximately 9.8N.....if you are using a Park Tool tensionmeter and the chart that comes with it, Park uses an estimate of 1kgf=10N.

-j
Old 10-03-13, 06:33 AM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops. Yeah, makes sense.
Old 10-03-13, 09:13 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenfieldja
100kgf does not equal 100N...
g whiz!
Old 10-03-13, 11:09 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I bought these from BWW and after the first ride the rear ran out. Jut trying to get a feel for what I should be shooting for, first time doing it. Thanks in advance!
I measured tension on the last two wheels I built using the Jobst Brandt method of alternately increasing tension and stress relieving until the wheel goes out of true in waves at which point you've reached the rim's elastic limit, back off half a turn, and re-true.

I like to stress relieve by twisting the spokes at their outer crossing using a brass drift although other objects softer than the spokes work like an old left crank arm or plastic screw-driver handle. Squeezing near parallel spokes in a side together works too.

The front with a Reflex clincher (the lighter Open Pro predecessor) averaged 105kgf without a tire outside the bent spot that had me replacing it.

The rear with an Open Pro measured 105 kgf drive side with a tire and should be a little higher without. Non-drive side was whatever it took.

More risks stress cracks.