Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Terrible mistake, L'Eroica edition

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-24, 06:28 PM
jpc2001
No Motor Vehicles

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Super LeTour, '84 Miyata 310, '76 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 15 Posts

Apparently a L'Eroica bike is any pre-1987, steel frame road bike with downtube shifters, and without clipless pedals or aero levers. (Some clubs now allow aero.)

And here I thought it was an old ten speed that someone is asking $2800 for on Marketplace. But no! ​​​​​It turns out every bike in my garage is a L'Eroica bike! ("Yes, this is a true classic, the Schwini Giro di Chicagua...")

Or they would be, had I not installed dual pivot calipers on every one of them, thereby destroying $2700 or so in market value of each. Whoops! 😬

​​​​​​
Old 03-23-24, 11:53 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
After several Eroicas I have found that if you respect the "spirit" of the event the scrutineering will let you get away with minor transgressions

Scrutineering may be more severe in Italy but don't worry about a dual pivot brake or clipless pedals

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 03-23-24, 11:56 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Does it have to be steel framed to qualify for eroica?? There were CF, aluminum and Ti bikes in 87 and earlier....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 03-24-24, 01:24 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked 3,130 Times in 1,969 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Does it have to be steel framed to qualify for eroica?? There were CF, aluminum and Ti bikes in 87 and earlier....
Looks like Screwed and glued exception exists, but Cannondale/Klein are out.

Interesting on the spoke rule.

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 03-24-24, 01:27 AM
kani

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
According to eroica.cc «HEROIC BIKES (or vintage bikes) are all road-racing bikes with racing handlebar, built up to and including 1987, both with and without gears, such as those built in the late 19th or early 20th centuries. These bicycles usually have a steel frame but rare aluminium frames are admitted as long as the tubes are screwed and glued (like ALAN type frames) and not welded.» So some aluminum frames are allowed at least. Not sure about titanium, though🤔
Old 03-24-24, 01:51 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
So -

No Cinelli pedals (1970-ish)
Old 03-24-24, 03:28 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
jpc2001 I have a very nice set of those dangerous, suicidal even, side pull brakes available. FOr a mere $847.00 American I can let you have a valuable set of vintage 1987 Dia Compe Alpha 5000s brakes to restore one of your precious vintage bikes back to the insane Erotic standards.

Personally I don't get the whole DP thing. Maybe I just don't go fast enough but I've seldom had trouble stopping on regular old side pull brakes, even the Chorus Monoplanor which weren't really intended to be "Stop on a Dime" type brakes (like the vaunted Delta brakes).

What I don't get is lots of people removed these dangerous single pivot brakes for the superior safety and herculean stopping power of the DP brakes but then demand a king's ransom for them when they list them on ebay

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-24-24, 05:57 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,292 Times in 1,281 Posts
As far as I’m concerned , I ride bikes that are all compliant , that’s just how I ride normally and why I have enjoyed this event. I keep my bikes rolling the same way I did in the early seventies so no worries. The event itself has become something else , dwindling down as it has. I’m not sure what direction , but more non compliance seems to be happening each year so I guess just ride what you want. I don’t think the organizers really care so long as the entry fee has been paid. If I wanted to ride a more modern bike , it would be modern and I would do the Nova ride .
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-24-24, 06:51 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 156 Posts
The only bikes I have that would be close to L'Eroica compliant are my 1983 Pro and Team Miyatas but since they both have contemporary aero Dura-Ace AX brakes and levers, they are not eligible. I grew up using aero levers and never had a bike with brake cable housing looping up and over the handlebars. I thought it looked goofy to me back in the day and honestly would not own a bike with it today. Funny rules if you ask me. I doubt I would be turned away were I to turn up at one of these events on either of my Miyatas.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 03-24-24, 07:06 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Oooooo.... A complain about Eroica rules thread. Haven't had one of those for days.
Old 03-24-24, 07:28 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,292 Times in 1,281 Posts
Maybe this year I will ride my wife’s ebike!!! That will shake it up a bit!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-24-24, 07:34 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
The only bikes I have that would be close to L'Eroica compliant are my 1983 Pro and Team Miyatas but since they both have contemporary aero Dura-Ace AX brakes and levers, they are not eligible. I grew up using aero levers and never had a bike with brake cable housing looping up and over the handlebars. I thought it looked goofy to me back in the day and honestly would not own a bike with it today. Funny rules if you ask me. I doubt I would be turned away were I to turn up at one of these events on either of my Miyatas.
If you did keep the original AGC-300 brake calipers on your Pro Miyata, you would also have brick like original brake pads. No source for newer pads for those that I could find. Since the Dura Ace EX is correct is correct for the Team Miyata, that's probably as correct as you could get. I think your Dura Ace AX aero are a sensible upgrade for an aero bike.
Old 03-24-24, 07:38 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by jpc2001
Apparently a L'Eroica bike is any pre-1987, steel frame road bike with downtube shifters, and without clipless pedals or aero levers. (Some clubs now allow aero.)

And here I thought it was an old ten speed that someone is asking $2800 for on Marketplace. But no! ​​​​​It turns out every bike in my garage is a L'Eroica bike! ("Yes, this is a true classic, the Schwini Giro di Chicagua...")

Or they would be, had I not installed dual pivot calipers on every one of them, thereby destroying $2700 or so in market value of each. Whoops! 😬

​​​​​​
I put dual pivots on many bikes and will happily continue to do the same, I like the way they stop. I'm not even concerned about what anyone thinks about my braking crimes.
Likes For daverup:
Old 03-24-24, 07:41 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Personally I don't get the whole DP thing. Maybe I just don't go fast enough but I've seldom had trouble stopping on regular old side pull brakes, even the Chorus Monoplanor which weren't really intended to be "Stop on a Dime" type brakes (like the vaunted Delta brakes).
I’ve never had side pull brakes function as I expected they should, even Dura Ace 7400s. I was always surprised by how poorly they worked. It wasn’t until I got dual pivots that I finally got the braking experience I desired.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-24-24, 07:49 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by daverup
If you did keep the original AGC-300 brake calipers on your Pro Miyata, you would also have brick like original brake pads. No source for newer pads for those that I could find. Since the Dura Ace EX is correct is correct for the Team Miyata, that's probably as correct as you could get. I think your Dura Ace AX aero are a sensible upgrade for an aero bike.
Actually, the bike shop I bought my bike from sold these as framesets, not complete bikes. I still remember when I picked out the Pro at the time next to a comparable Team frame because that was all I could afford at the time. I was 16 and had saved up the money I had made working that summer. When I selected my group set, I wanted AX but the shop owner talked me out of it and sold me on new 600EX which had just come out if I recall correctly. It did have ACG aero levers though. It was a great group and I raced with it the next couple of years until my next bike. It had these parts up until the mid-90s when I rebuilt the bike the way I wanted it originally with a NOS DA AX group including the rare handlebar. I still have the old 600EX parts but that frame with aero fork and aero seat stays looks like it was made for the AX group. And with fresh Kool-Stop pads, the brakes are not too bad for the time. Certainly better stopping than the early Deltas.
Likes For BMC_Kid:
Old 03-24-24, 07:49 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I’ve never had side pull brakes function as I expected they should, even Dura Ace 7400s. I was always surprised by how poorly they worked. It wasn’t until I got dual pivots that I finally got the braking experience I desired.

We survived about 100+/- years a trillions of miles with the single pivot and I don't recall anyone dying simply because the couldn't stop fast enough. No if you have cheap calipers and 'Turkey' levers that's a different story.

Again perhaps I just don't go fast enough to need all that masive stop on a ladybug braking power.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-24-24, 08:12 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
I found these statements on the L’Eroica web site. The rules have a lot of words about the aero brake levers and cable routing, but nothing very specific about the brake calipers. In my opinion, dual pivot calipers would probably not get you kicked out.

This one is for the Italian event: i) There are no restrictions regarding the type of brakes, as long as they are in keeping with the period of construction of the bicycle and they are safe.

This one is for the California event: i) there are no particular rules on the type of brakes as long as they are in line with the construction period of the bicycle and that they are efficient for safety reasons.

For California, aero brake levers are okay: c) we prefer the traditional brake lever setup on the bicycles, brake cables pass outside and over the handlebars (cables can pass inside the top tube of main frame), however, starting in 2017, aero brake levers without built in shifters will be allowed.

It seems that the Italian event has plenty of entries, so they aren't worried about losing a few people who don't want to comply. On the other hand, California is trying to attract more entrants, so they are more flexible. In the end, it's really just cosplay for bikes. There are a few concessions made for safety, but the idea is to experience what the old timers had to put up with back in the day.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 03-24-24, 08:18 AM
smd4

We survived about 100+/- years a trillions of miles with the single pivot and I don't recall anyone dying simply because the couldn't stop fast enough. No if you have cheap calipers and 'Turkey' levers that's a different story.

Again perhaps I just don't go fast enough to need all that masive stop on a ladybug braking power.
Yeah, I know. No one died. And it’s not really about having to stop quickly from a high rate of speed.

I expected top end brakes to have a certain feel, and they never did until I got dual pivots, compressionless housing and Swiss Stop pads.
Old 03-24-24, 08:22 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts

the short way down from my house has a 14% grade over about 6/10ths of a mile, traffic signal at the bottom that I rarely approach to a green light. I have two bikes with dual pivot brakes, two with Mafac. They are the top performers regarding less effort to slow or stop.
almost all the others are original Campagnolo Record. The Mathauser or kool stop pads are best but even with those the grip strength needed is much higher than with the dual pivots.

I did have to adjust the straddle wire on the Mafacs to improve mechanical advantage- shorter is the way.
Likes For repechage:
Old 03-24-24, 10:40 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
I don't understand the consternation some folks have for good quality single pivot brakes found on older bikes.
When they don't work well, it's likely a maintenance issue so give 'em some love (Proper adjustment, fresh brake blocks, cables and clean your rims).
[url=https://flic.kr/p/WvqFjt]
Old 03-24-24, 10:54 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by northbend
I don't understand the consternation some folks have for good quality single pivot brakes found on older bikes.
When they don't work well, it's likely a maintenance issue so give 'em some love (Proper adjustment, fresh brake blocks, cables and clean your rims).
No consternation. No problem with maintenance. My 7400s just never functioned as well as my 7700s.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-24-24, 12:05 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
I don't have any desire to participate in an Eroica event.

However, if I wished to, I would play along with the rules of the event. It's why the event is the event.

If you're really bent out of shape about it- start your own esoteric bicycle event... you can show those Eroica clowns who's boss- and you can put up with people *****ing about your eligibility requirements.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 03-24-24, 12:31 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
We are overlooking the many 100% Eroica-compliant dual pivot brakes that are out there. You know them as center pulls. MAFAC Racers and Competitions, Universal 61s, Weinmann 750s and the look-alike Dia Compes, to name some examples - they all have two pivots (and thus are dual pivot brakes), some work really well and most work acceptably well (Kool Stop pads, aero levers and modern cabling are your friends), they are readily available, and no one at Eroica will think twice about them.
Old 03-24-24, 01:26 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I don't have any desire to participate in an Eroica event.

However, if I wished to, I would play along with the rules of the event. It's why the event is the event.

If you're really bent out of shape about it- start your own esoteric bicycle event... you can show those Eroica clowns who's boss- and you can put up with people *****ing about your eligibility requirements.
Hey, there's a ride up in Montana in September that's like that...

CINO
Old 03-24-24, 01:26 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Personally I don't get the whole DP thing.
Any brake that will lock the front wheel is sufficient - as no brake will do more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.