Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Good article on bicycle traffic laws for LEO's

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 08:24 AM
delcrossv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Good article in "Law and Order"- nice the message is getting out to the LEO community.

https://lawandordermag.epubxp.com/title/12194/54
Old 07-31-13, 09:04 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Really not a bad article at all... explains some history right off, then goes into cyclists rights to the road, discusses the problems with bike lanes and why cyclists take the lane, reinforces that cyclists are part of traffic and are not impeding, and last, discusses what LEOs should be doing and why.

Odd magazine interface, but hey, it works.

The major violations, which cyclist
should be stopped and ticketed for are:
1) riding against traffc; 2) failure to yield
right of way at stop or yield signs; 3) running
red lights; and 4) riding without required
nighttime lighting.
We need to stop cyclists for disobeying
traffc controls. Many cyclists ride through
red lights because they have no fear of
being ticketed. This obvious lawlessness
by some cyclists further increases the animosity
felt by many motorists. If the police
won’t enforce traffc laws for bicyclists,
who will? Isn’t that part of the police role
in enhancing traffc safety and promoting
voluntary compliance with the law?
Old 07-31-13, 11:56 AM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree.. if we can get enforcement of #2 and #3 on motor vehicles, and enforce them on an additional #5 ) driving in excess of the posted speed limit (no 10% over, the limit is the limit right?) and #6 ) dangerous passing (<3').

Also agree if we can start ticketing wildlife for running into the road? I mean, since we are prosecuting those who might not know any better instead of educating or adjusting the rules/infrastructure.
Old 07-31-13, 12:15 PM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kmv2
Also agree if we can start ticketing wildlife for running into the road? I mean, since we are prosecuting those who might not know any better instead of educating or adjusting the rules/infrastructure.
I imagine you're commenting on ticketing cyclists.The rules are the rules. There is a method to get them changed if they do not work well, but in the absence of that, break the law get a ticket. If they enforce against everyone, I have no equity issues with this.
Old 07-31-13, 12:37 PM
genec
genec

Agree.. if we can get enforcement of #2 and #3 on motor vehicles, and enforce them on an additional #5 ) driving in excess of the posted speed limit (no 10% over, the limit is the limit right?) and #6 ) dangerous passing (<3').

Since most cyclists are also motorists... there is very little case of "those who might not know any better..."

But to further the cause, cycling and motoring should be taught in public schools as these are both life long skills that could certainly use massive public improvement.
Old 07-31-13, 02:01 PM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Since most cyclists are also motorists... there is very little case of "those who might not know any better..."

But to further the cause, cycling and motoring should be taught in public schools as these are both life long skills that could certainly use massive public improvement.
Do they even mention bicycles as being "vehicles" in most driver's ed classes?

Paragraph 2 is exactly what I mean and wish to happen.
Old 07-31-13, 02:10 PM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Amen! Driver's Ed in this country is a joke.
Old 07-31-13, 02:15 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by delcrossv
Amen! Driver's Ed in this country is a joke.
I am not even sure they mention "do not hit that which is right in front of you..."
Old 07-31-13, 07:49 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
I just sent him this e-mail.

Kirby Beck
Kirby@kbeckconsulting.com

Very nice July 13, Law and Order article, thank you.

I do want to update one point in the article. It states that Hawaii is one of 3 states requiring cyclist ride on the shoulder if it is safe. That was only true for a single year. The Hawaii Bicycle League (HBL) was concerned that a cyclist might be held responsible or at least partially at fault should they be hit while riding on the shoulder and not be able to prevail in a law suit for damages if cited for illegally riding on the shoulder (original Hawaii law prohibited motorist and cyclist from traveling on the shoulder). HBL drafted a law and pushed for legislative change for the law that would make it legal for cyclist to ride on the shoulder (but not mandatory) if the cyclist so wished. At the last second of the legislative process, a couple of our fine law makers changed the wording to make it mandatory for cyclist to use the shoulder and that version was passed. It caused an uproar and the very next legislative session, the wording was revised to the original and passed to allow (but not mandatory) cyclist could legally ride on the shoulder.
You never know when a legislature will sucker punch you.
Old 07-31-13, 08:02 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent article I downloaded the three pages in .pdf format and I just might send it as an e-mail attachment to a few of the local LEOs offices around here. They have gotten a lot better then they used to be over the last couple decades and at least for the most part weeded out those officers who chose to enforce their own personal opinions about bicycling on the public roads in direct contradiction with the law and chose to use their badge and uniform to criminally harass cyclists but they still haven't moved beyond that basic first baby step in any meaningful way and actually started taking active steps both in the area of treating cyclist as legitimate road users in accident and harassment reports and also actually enforcing the most basic rules of the road when it comes to cyclists behaving badly (Kamikazes, Salmon, & Night Ninjas would be the bare basics of enforcement in my view).

There are a few areas of his article where I might have written it a little differently or stressed certain things more then others. But I cannot disagree with anything he had to say, just wish he had said some things a little stronger.
Old 08-03-13, 09:37 AM
GeorgeWerr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great read
Old 08-03-13, 08:14 PM
dpeters11

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec

Probably the majority of cyclists that don't have a license and rides as traffic know the majority of traffic laws. Knowing signals, stop signs and turn lanes doesn't take rocket science.

They may may forget where it's legal to turn left on red etc but the majority of it is pretty simple overall.
Old 08-05-13, 03:23 PM
AstroEng
Roadkill

Bikes: Novara Verita, Novara Buzz, Radpower Radwagon

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found it interesting that the author specifically says (in his list of major violations to focus on): "2) failure to yield right of way at stop or yield signs..." (emphasis mine).

A tacit approval of stop-as-yield practices?
Old 08-05-13, 03:26 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by dpeters11
Probably the majority of cyclists that don't have a license and rides as traffic know the majority of traffic laws. Knowing signals, stop signs and turn lanes doesn't take rocket science.

They may may forget where it's legal to turn left on red etc but the majority of it is pretty simple overall.
Generally speaking, yes, it is pretty simple... and yet motorists have to be reminded of the rules with stupid signs like this:

Because apparently they can't remember the simple stuff... and drivers still manage to kill about 35,000 people a year... again, apparently because they can't remember the simple stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
r10-15.gif (3.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 08-05-13, 03:38 PM
dpeters11

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.5, 2011 Trek 2.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do think cyclists generally know the rules better, plus we usually aren't riding while on the phone or texting.

Of course we also have "Wrong Way" signs. Around here, we also actually have those on the back of Share the Road signs.
Old 08-05-13, 05:44 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dpeters11
I do think cyclists generally know the rules better, plus we usually aren't riding while on the phone or texting.

Of course we also have "Wrong Way" signs. Around here, we also actually have those on the back of Share the Road signs.
The Road where my work is generally has pretty good cyclists. I think part of that is that it is not flat and in one direction it is less than a half mile to a real hill. But not that long ago I saw an exception. A wrong way cyclist riding with his toddler in front of him.

Oh almost forgot. The whole area has bike lanes with arrows showing the correct direction to ride. Who does not know what an arrow means?
Old 08-06-13, 11:36 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by delcrossv
Good article in "Law and Order"- nice the message is getting out to the LEO community.

https://lawandordermag.epubxp.com/title/12194/54
It is, I hope they read it around here.