Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why is the cost of cycling so much?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-13, 11:15 AM
terrya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It is costing me more to ride my bike, than it does to drive or fix my car!

I purchased an old school Miyata and had an accident on the bike. I’ve invested $150 to get it back going, only to give it away and buy another bike. I purchased a Specialized Allez Sport Triple in new like condition far under the going rate for that model, but soon realized I needed a new cassette (9 speed), new chain (9 speed) and have front and rear derailleur’s adjusted for $100! I had to have that done because I replaced the Sugino Triple crank for an Ultegra Double 53/39. Not to mention I just purchased bike tools the day before for $50!

As a kid, I can’t remember riding a bike was that freaking expensive! My mom bought me a bike, and I don’t think I ever invested anything on the bike and I was much harder on bikes back then (1978 – 83).
Old 08-12-13, 11:20 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Try crashing a car, having it repaired, trading it in for a new one, and then having the transmission replaced with a different-spec model after buying a comprehensive set of car tools. All for $300, if my math is right.

Riding bikes is still a bargain in comparison.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-12-13, 11:24 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
There's a couple of differences for me. One, when I was a kid, I rode my bike "a lot". But, for example, it seemed like a long way to school, but it was actually about a mile to high school. So riding my bike two miles a day seemed like "a lot" of riding. Now, I'm riding around a 1,000 miles a month, and probably cover more miles each month that I did from ages 0 to 18 all put together. The second thing is that my bike then was a single-speed coaster-brake bike. It's not that they necessarily last longer, but you can have a worn chain without having shifting problems, you don't have derailleur issues, you don't have cable issues, etc., so you can get a lot more time in between maintenance, and then I could do more of the maintenance myself on that kind of bike.
Old 08-12-13, 11:24 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My car cost $1.00... I have put about 500.00 of work into it over the past year.

The most expensive bicycle I have purchased in the past 30 years cost me $600.00 (used) and I am about $900.00 into it because of upgrades and extra parts but it has needed no service (which I can provide myself).
Old 08-12-13, 11:25 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is nothing compared to a car that has similar issues. You're talking thousands to fix a car that has transmission issues or engine issues. Plus it's not cyclings fault that you purchased a bike that was worn out. Like a car, maybe you should have had a mechanic look it over before purchase.
Old 08-12-13, 11:25 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Expensive?

You have no idea.
Old 08-12-13, 11:34 AM
terrya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back into riding a few months ago because of health issues...Of course I didn't know that it would be so expensive for repairs and parts. It was simple when I was just barely moving and barely making it to my destination. Now 3 months later and 60 pounds lighter, I'm able to travel at a much higher speed and an even further distance. So now I'm in the "upgrade everything" mode and I don't know everything about tweaking the bike, yet. I purchased tools because I will be doing a lot of the stuff myself, but until then I still need to have certain stuff tweaked by professionals at my LBS.

I'm sorry, this hobby will definitely be much more than I expected when I started.

With that being said...I love riding!
Old 08-12-13, 12:02 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
What kind of car accident will cost $150.00? It cost more than that if a shopping cart runs into your car door.

Riding a bicycle is as expensive as you make it....it can be alot,it can be a little

.9-10-11 speed bikes are alot more to maintain than 7-8 speed bikes.

A good 10 speed chain cost as much as a normal everyday type crank,chain and cluster for 7-8 speeds.

Keeping up with the Jones' cost money....

Last edited by Booger1; 08-12-13 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-12-13, 12:15 PM
knobster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terrya
I just got back into riding a few months ago because of health issues...Of course I didn't know that it would be so expensive for repairs and parts. It was simple when I was just barely moving and barely making it to my destination. Now 3 months later and 60 pounds lighter, I'm able to travel at a much higher speed and an even further distance. So now I'm in the "upgrade everything" mode and I don't know everything about tweaking the bike, yet. I purchased tools because I will be doing a lot of the stuff myself, but until then I still need to have certain stuff tweaked by professionals at my LBS.

I'm sorry, this hobby will definitely be much more than I expected when I started.

With that being said...I love riding!
But remember, you are the one that's making it expensive. Nothing wrong with the stock parts that came on the bike. The best "upgrade" you can do is improving the engine. Which it looks like you are doing. This type of health is priceless and if it costs you a few dollars here and there, it's considerably more beneficial to your well being than any dollar you sink into a car.
Old 08-12-13, 12:22 PM
20_700c

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd argue that the "expensiveness" of cycling has to do with three things:
1. Functionality-limited manufacturing
2. Ego/Marketing
3. Envy

The first is a question of supply&demand. How many companies make the bike you want with the functionality/components you want? If there's only 1, they decide on the price, not you.

The second is sort of "I deserve the best" so the advertising in today's culture keeps telling us. And if Joe Neighbor/Friend/x-in-law has the best, shouldn't you have it also - regardless of cost? Notice how few ads today actually even mention cost? Sticker shock at the cash register is not uncommon for many things.

The last relates to the second but isn't the same. It's a case of "he's got it, I want it" or something like that. Your friend's bike is the coolest so you NEED it - or a specific component, whatever. BMW's have more appeal than Yugo's for example.

Last edited by 20_700c; 08-12-13 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-12-13, 12:27 PM
olds cool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you put a value on youre improved health? That being said, lighter weight usually means less material, less material means less durable. But not in all cases.
Old 08-12-13, 12:31 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
2 used bikes and gave one away? Ultegra cranks? You are doing it wrong. Do your own wrenching, tools should last a lifetime. My sugino double crank has 8,000 miles on it. Drivetrains wear out, check and replace as needed. Stop whining.
Old 08-12-13, 12:38 PM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was the OP's first posts on the site? I suggest you'll are feeding a troll.
Old 08-12-13, 01:10 PM
cwar

Bikes: BH RC1, Bianchi Volpe, Orbea Avant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have dumped a lot of money into biking as well, but most of the money I have put into biking was by choice because I wanted nicer equipment than I really needed. When I think about my car there is all sorts of recurring maintenance/costs: oil changes, tires, fuel, insurance, parking, etc... For me, biking can be much cheaper than driving.
Old 08-12-13, 01:15 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
.. So now I'm in the "upgrade everything" mode and I don't know everything about tweaking the bike, yet...
Sorry to be blunt, but this part is why you think the cost is so high. You don't really have to upgrade, nor pay someone else to tweak the bike. It can be as cheap, or as expensive, as you want it to be.
Old 08-12-13, 01:21 PM
terrya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
2 used bikes and gave one away? Ultegra cranks? You are doing it wrong. Do your own wrenching, tools should last a lifetime. My sugino double crank has 8,000 miles on it. Drivetrains wear out, check and replace as needed. Stop whining.

I had to get a new crank for the Miyata because the spindle broke. I was told because of my weight at the time, it would be better if I upgraded the crank to something that could handle my weight. I purchased an Ultegra crankset for the Miyata, which I in turn had it put on the Specialized. I didn't know anything about bb at the time, I just knew that the Sugino had tapered ends, so I didn't want it. In doing so, I had to basically change the whole drive train. I just purchased tools to do just what you've mentioned, I'm sure I'll be pretty good at doing stuff myself in a few months.
@PlanoFuji

Are you sure that wasn't your first post? I've actually posted in the Miyata vintage thread prior to making my first thread. If you really have a problem with it, please try and be a little more considerate...considering you're a senior member!
@knobster

You've made me realize that you really can't put a price on good health! I would have gladly given someone $1000 if they would have told me 3 months ago I wouldn't be on HB medecine and would be far under 340 pounds! Thank you sir!
Old 08-12-13, 01:29 PM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to get a new crank for the Miyata because the spindle broke. I was told because of my weight at the time, it would be better if I upgraded the crank to something that could handle my weight. I purchased an Ultegra crankset for the Miyata, which I in turn had it put on the Specialized. I didn't know anything about bb at the time, I just knew that the Sugino had tapered ends, so I didn't want it. In doing so, I had to basically change the whole drive train. I just purchased tools to do just what you've mentioned, I'm sure I'll be pretty good at doing stuff myself in a few months.
@PlanoFuji

Are you sure that wasn't your first post? I've actually posted in the Miyata vintage thread prior to making my first thread. If you really have a problem with it, please try and be a little more considerate...considering you're a senior member!
@knobster

You've made me realize that you really can't put a price on good health! I would have gladly given someone $1000 if they would have told me 3 months ago I wouldn't be on HB medecine and would be far under 340 pounds! Thank you sir!
First or second post, this still read like a troll.

Ultegra is designed for racers, whose typical weight is 140-150 lbs. Yes it is better 'quality' and certainly a premium price but not in the way it appears to have been sold to you. If they sold that to you because of your weight, you were dealing with an unethical (or ignorant) sales person. Relying on other people to perform mechanics on your bikes is more expensive, particularly if they are not particularly honest.

There was nothing wrong with the square tapered ends of the sugino bottom bracket, that style has been around for years and likely will be. Most of the money you have spent is not because cycling needs to be expensive but rather because you didn't obtain the needed information to make informed decisions about your purchases.
Old 08-12-13, 01:30 PM
knobster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@PlanoFuji

@knobster

Don't let these kind of people get to you. That's how most people conduct themselves on the Internet it seems.

Good for you! Keep it up and it'll get nothing but better. One day soon you'll be complaining that your carbon fiber road bike isn't stiff enough.

Then you'll get a true appreciation of what expensive is.
Old 08-12-13, 01:51 PM
kingsqueak

Bikes: Surly Ogre // (old and gone) Cannondale ST400, Rockhopper Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it can be expensive from time to time, then I see a food delivery guy on a bike with a chain nearly rusted solid, his toes hanging out of his shoes and riding 30 times the miles I'd ever be riding in a week on a bike that would be left at the curb by most people in my area. Per mile, his bike is costing somewhere near negative numbers compared to mine.

Perspective.
Old 08-12-13, 01:59 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Stop whining.
Leebo has it exactly right. bk
Old 08-12-13, 02:08 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learn to do simple tune ups and repairs by yourself.
Old 08-12-13, 02:14 PM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol good troll post.
Old 08-12-13, 02:40 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Why did you change the drivetrain ? You only mention the crankset spindle breaking. You could have just bought a new spindle for $15 plus a bit of labor.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-12-13, 04:16 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
$100 for a new cassette, new chain and F/R derailleur adjustment is a bargain.
Old 08-12-13, 04:21 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Telling the OP he needed a new Ultegra crank because he was too heavy for a square tapered BB is nutty; I'll bet that the LBS didn't have the right part in stock and just sold him what it had in stock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.