Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Good Reflective Vest?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Good Reflective Vest?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 06:01 PM
Diamond
Rain Rider

Bikes: Breezer Beltway (commuter), Co-Motion Deschutes, Specialized Tarmac, Salsa La Cruz (rain bike), Co-Motion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Reflective Vest?

I see many of my fellow commuters recommend a reflective vest. I haven’t had any luck finding a decent one. Are there recommendations for a good vest?

The issues I’ve had with them is either they are way too small only go halfway down my back. Amazon users had this comment for the Nathan cyclist vest (one reviewer commented it looked like a bra on him)

NathanVest..jpg
Or else they are very big (large enough typical overweight road worker directing traffic).

vest2..jpg

It would be nice if Pearl Izumi or other high end cycling vendor made a vest which was aerodynamic, fit well, and was highly reflective. I’d gladly pay $70 or more for such a vest.

Thanks for your input,

-Scott
Old 04-24-10, 06:28 PM
Chalupa102

Bikes: Catrike Trail Recumbent trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a Grip LED vest that i got from amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Grip-On-30282-...2154883&sr=8-2. I don't remember how much i paid for it at the time, but it wasn't expensive at all. I think it was definitely well worth it. I wear it every time i ride and it nice at night with the LEDs.
Old 04-24-10, 06:39 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I've been wondering about this lately myself. This one comes in S/M and L/XL (in addition 2XL/3XL and 4XL/5XL):

https://www.amazon.com/GloWear-8250Z-...155763&sr=1-13
https://www.amazon.com/Glowear-8250Z-...2155763&sr=1-1

biking-specific hi-viz vests I've seen tout their wind/water resistance, but I have a coat for that. All I want from a vest is hi-viz and reflective, if they can manage that with all-mesh then so much the better for my own needs.
Old 04-24-10, 06:46 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There are some nice reflective vest/triangle options at https://www.rivbike.com/products/show...riangle/31-460
Old 04-24-10, 06:49 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have the Grip lighted reflective vest. It is adjustable for sizing. It works for me.
Old 04-24-10, 06:56 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Have you been to Home Depot and places like that?

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-24-10, 07:06 PM
pitchpole

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always see a bunch of work release guys wearing those things as they are biking to the day labor place. Just ride to your local prison camp and ask around.
Old 04-24-10, 07:06 PM
Noobtastic
Six feet please

Bikes: Specialized rockhopper, Ross gran tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't feel like ordering online so I paid $10.51 for a 3M fluorescent vest at Lowes. You can probably find some kind of vest in any hardware store. The 3M is a one size fits all with straps and plastic buckles on the side. There is no reflective material at the sides but it closes with velcro and is made out of perforated polyester .
Old 04-24-10, 08:04 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I have this one from harbor freight:
https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94701
$5. Very reflective. I've had mine for a couple of years and they're still as good as new.
Here's a test I posted about this vest a while back:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Freight-vests
Old 04-24-10, 09:33 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I've used an older version of this for a year or so and it was about $40 at Performance. https://illuminiteworkwear.thomasnet.com/product/men-s-cycling-jerseys-and-jackets-2/sunrise-vest-2?&plpver=10&bc=1199|1410|1416|1434
Old 04-24-10, 09:46 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you want something fitted and super reflective, check out an AmphiPod reflective harness. I wear one for my 24+ hour events as well as my commute. Super bright and very adjustable.
If you have to fit it over bulky clothing like a rain/winter jacket, then get a reflective sash with a waist belt. They'll hang a bit looser because they aren't elastic like the AmphiPod, but they're also super bright; especially if you get one of the plastic-ish reflective ones (like what most cheap ankle bands are made from) as opposed to the Scotchlite webbing belt-ish ones.
Old 04-24-10, 11:29 PM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
If you want something fitted and super reflective, check out an AmphiPod reflective harness....
I bought an AmphiPod vest, paid about $40 for it. I paid top-dollar for what I thought was the best reflective vest available. Within a year, the reflectivity of the vest was virtually gone. I sent it back and AmphiPod sent me a new one (for free). Within a year, same problem - reflectivity on the new one was virtually gone. Neither were ever washed.

Now, I don't ever use the AmphiPod because it doesn't work. I bought the $6 Harbor Freight vest a year ago and a year later it's as good as new.

Bottom line: save your money and buy a quality vest from Harbor Freight.

Last edited by hopperja; 04-24-10 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-25-10, 07:54 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2750 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 2,061 Posts
I use a standard construction one from work. Medium for summer and XL for when I'm wearing other clothes. Light, cheap , effective

https://www.workinggear.com/gc/custom...55029&cat=1123

Last edited by dedhed; 04-25-10 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-25-10, 10:30 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Is that reflective? It doesn't say it's reflective.
Old 04-25-10, 11:36 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
Is that reflective? It doesn't say it's reflective.
Mine is, it's like a tweed pattern with one part of the tweed being reflective. Wearing it causes cars to give me more space when I ride, and people mention seeing me in it when I talk with them later.
Old 04-25-10, 07:05 PM
zoodude
Internal gears FTW!

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Reliant, 2010 Schwinn Sporterra NX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally use the nashbar one. not too much, but has nice elastic that holds it in place very well.
It has a nice color to it and it is extremely reflective.

https://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Produc...2_167907_-1___
Old 04-25-10, 07:52 PM
JeremyZ

Bikes: 1997 Schwinn Searcher GS, 2007 Dahon Curve D3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got one off of ebay a couple years ago. The reflective material was sealed in a clear plastic, so it lasts, and it has a zipper for durability and a good fit instead of the velcro straps.

Aerostich.com used to carry a really nice one, but I can't find it now. It is the one that guards use in the US military. Has a couple pockets and is a bit more substantial construction than the ones shown here. I can't remember who makes it, for the life of me.

Edit: Here it is --> link

The video link is actually pretty good, since none of the pix show the back, which is what we're probably most interested in.

Last edited by JeremyZ; 04-25-10 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-26-10, 06:23 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got this one about a year ago, and it works good. Not very aerodynamic, but I wanted cheap and visible.
Old 04-26-10, 06:24 AM
DallasSoxFan
Scan Me

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I have this one from harbor freight:
https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94701
$5. Very reflective. I've had mine for a couple of years and they're still as good as new.
Here's a test I posted about this vest a while back:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Freight-vests
+1. They wash well, just don't machine dry them.
Old 04-26-10, 10:16 AM
andrelam

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you need a vest to be seen, then be sure it is ANSI Class II rated. If it isn't rated then you have no idea how good it will be. The Harborfreight shirt is ANSI rated (at least I, but not certain if it gets to II). I have vest from https://www.alertshirt.com/noname1.html . The price is very reasonable (around $10), and they use top qualilty 3M tape. I've had my wife ride behind me in the dark and she tells me I light up like a christmas tree. I bought a vest (for cooler days) that has Illuminite fabric. When my wife road behind me, she could barely see me. I have also come up on some folks walking their dogs or joggin that were wearing orange vests with yellow tape. I nearly hit the person before I could see them. I've seen some of these useless shirts sell for around $20 at bikes stores and sporting goods stores. Clearly there is a huge difference in performance between various shirts, but the excellent ones don't have to cost a lot. I'll replace my alertshirt hest next winter. After 3 full years of use (I use it daily in the winter), the reflective material starts to loose a little of its shine. During the summer it only gets occasional use. The shirt is certified for something like 12 washes. I have a front loader which is gentle on laundry, but wash the vest no more than twice a year. For a rain coat I bought the following: https://www.alertshirt.com/newarrivals.html. I only get rained on a few times per month at the most so I can't justly the expense of a nice fancy rain coat with pit zips, etc. This one doesn't breath too good, but in the rain I have ANSI Class III rated visability. That makes me VERY visable, I don't mind sweating a little it if means I don't get run-over.

Like I said, you don't have to spend a lot on a top quality vest, just be sure it is ANSI Class II rated. Then you will know for certain that you will be seen.

Happy riding,
André
Old 04-27-10, 10:21 AM
Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3M Scotchlite glossy microprism reflective tape more reflective than iron-on type

If you want maximum reflectivity, I believe the 3M Scotchlite glossy microprism reflective tape is more reflective than the iron-on material (including 3M's iron on material). You can often tell the difference looking at a vendor's picture of the vest but it is also called "gloss" in reflective vest descriptions.

I agree it is best to select an ANSI class 2 (no reflective material on sleeves) or class 3 (reflective material on sleeves) from a general industrial/construction vendor rather than one marketed to cyclists. The exception would be if you cycle a lot in a real aerodynamic tuck, in which case a good bicycling one will be longer in the rear, showing reflective material even when you are tucked down in the drops.

Mesh and a V-front are helpful for ventilation in hot weather.

The neon yellow/lime green color is more in favor than blaze orange. Apparently the yellow/lime green is more visible in low light conditions where the blaze orange fades into a fairly dark gray. This is plausibe since the retina in your eye senses light with color sensing cones and non color sensing but more light sensitive rods, so in low light your vision is essentially a black-white gray scale.

Occulux or OccuNomix is one good industrial/construction vest manufacturer (although the 2009 catalog cover is a little over-the-top):
OccuNomix 2009 cat.jpg
I prefer the front zipper style. Their "Two Toned Zipped LUX-SSLM2Z" comes in multiple sizes for a good fit, is
mesh, V-necked, zippered and uses the 3M gloss microprisim tape:

Last edited by Giro; 04-27-10 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Typos, fix link, add 2nd link