Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

gym for 8 weeks..... why?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-23, 05:00 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts

Hello, i read a few articles that recommend to train in the gym for some weeks. Mostly for 8 weeks for muscle growing.
Also some friends comfirm the teory of the 8 weeks , specially during december when the race season is off.

Here the questions:
  • Why the gym training is only 8 weeks?
  • How the muscle are not going to be defelated after a bunch of normal cycling activities? (whitout weight lifting the muscle will perish with a lot of cardio. Also for this reason i can't see why taking supplements too)
  • How the strenght is going to last for an entire race season?
  • Can anyone share a good training program (gym+bike) to grow strenght and a nice overall improvement?

Last edited by CrowSeph; 05-09-23 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-09-23, 06:24 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3774 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
I've never heard of this 8-week thing. I train year-round, in and out of the gym, but then again I'm not a racer, but I ride like one.
Old 05-09-23, 08:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Probably because the 8 weeks is considered the minimum to get any decent results. I don't think they are telling you to do only 8 weeks. But if 8 weeks are all you do then you'll at least have some benefit that might last you the rest of year.
Old 05-09-23, 08:15 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Maybe an 8 week strength training block during the strength and adaptation phase of a bicycle training periodization cycle. I am in the gym all year long.
Old 05-09-23, 06:17 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
It sounds like an 8 week build phase, which is usually then followed by an ongoing "maintenance" weight routine. The reason why they don't recommend more weight training is because it adds to your overall stress. If your priority is cycling performance then you need to focus more on riding during the season. If your focus is more on general fitness then you may decide to include more weight training and therefore less riding. You can only tolerate so much total stress.
Old 05-12-23, 03:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I use one gym routine from October to Dec. 1, a rather general full-body routine. Then a more cycling-focused routine from there to April 1. Then a maintenance routine until August. A couple months w/o gym and back at it again. The first two routines are twice a week ~ 1 hour ea. The maintenance is once a week, ~45'.
Old 05-23-23, 01:39 PM
DB77

Bikes: Ribble Endurance 725, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
It sounds like an 8 week build phase, which is usually then followed by an ongoing "maintenance" weight routine. The reason why they don't recommend more weight training is because it adds to your overall stress. If your priority is cycling performance then you need to focus more on riding during the season. If your focus is more on general fitness then you may decide to include more weight training and therefore less riding. You can only tolerate so much total stress.

Yes, the body needs rest and recovery. That's critical. Where I live I can only ride a few months out of the year. I have a gym in my basement so I do strength training all year round. As we age we lose muscle. It's very important to engage in some type of strength training to maintain as much muscle as possible. This helps to accomplish the daily tasks in our lives whereas cycling doesn't really.
Likes For DB77:
Old 05-23-23, 03:18 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
8 weeks in the winter is how long the daily high is below freezing in places like Minnesota
Genesis 49:16-17