Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Slid and had a very close call...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 07:40 PM
acaurora
B+ roadie I guess?

Bikes: 2013 BMC GranFondo GF01 Ui2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While this no where as dangerous or as extreme as I'm sure some of you have experienced, I thought I'd share this anyway -

I was with a couple friends in a paceline on a century going at a pretty decent speed when we approach an intersection (country roads, mostly deserted) and the direction arrows for the ride indicate to make a right. Then we see a police car. My friend in the front brakes rather unexpectedly, and slows down considerably. I was right behind him, and wasn't expecting this, so I also brake rather hard with my rear wheel brake as I turn right behind him, and suddenly I hear my tire rubbing/sliding. Instead of my bike *turning*, it is more *rotating* , turns out I had braked so hard that I had locked up my rear tire. From my past experience of hydroplaning in my car, I give it a shot and release my death grip on the handlebars and let the bike correct itself, and it does. I've never slid before on my bike (other than when I fell, but that was a different bike... ), nor have I ever locked up a wheel, so it was a very interesting experience.

The guy that was behind me told me that if I hadn't let up on the brakes any sooner, I would have ended up flipping on my left side (as I wasn't leaning into the turn much). I figure I'm lucky, as well as if I had used my FRONT brake and locked I would've definitely flipped.

This post is probably useless, but again I just thought I'd share my experience. Be safe out there!
Old 05-15-10, 07:51 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I've locked my rear wheel and drifted on streets slimed with autumn leaves - fell one time, corrected the other. And I wasn't speeding - just slowing for a stop sign.

Last edited by cooker; 05-15-10 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-15-10, 07:52 PM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Haha, well, you would've probably been better than the bike from something like that. Some bruises on the side I would guess.
Old 05-15-10, 07:55 PM
wrr1020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a similar situation just yesterday, i was out riding and as i was approaching an intersection was gonna make a right turn on the street right before the intersection. As i was approaching the street i was gonna turn on a guy decides to jaywalk across the street and i didn't see him, i slam on both front and rear brakes and the rear locked up and skidded. He saw me in time and stopped but had he not i probably would of slammed right into him due to not having enough time to stop. He apologized as i rode by after.

Last edited by wrr1020; 05-15-10 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-15-10, 08:03 PM
JoelS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The crashes I've recently witnessed (not me) started out the same way. Panic braking, lock up back wheel. But you did good by letting go and letting the bike self-correct. Had you grabbed more front in panic, you'd have gone over the bars. Good way to break a collarbone.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 05-15-10, 08:11 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 368 Posts
Yeah, I've done the full panic stop by grabbing both brakes hard. That's not a good idea. See Sheldon Brown's explanation
Using both brakes together can cause "fishtailing." If the rear wheel skids while braking force is also being applied to the front, the rear of the bike will tend to swing past the front, since the front is applying a greater decelerating force than the rear. Once the rear tire starts to skid, it can move sideways as easily as forward.
The fishtailing happened suddenly. I, too, saved it by letting off both brakes, but letting off just the back would have been enough.

The Sheldon Brown link talks about about maximum braking using just the front brake.
Old 05-15-10, 08:26 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Yeah, I've done the full panic stop by grabbing both brakes hard. That's not a good idea. See Sheldon Brown's explanation
He also talks about shifting your weight back in an emergency stop so you avoid flipping over the handle bars and skidding the rear wheel.