Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Proper replacement fork

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Proper replacement fork

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 03:26 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Proper replacement fork

My husband has a Specialized Stumperjumper M2 FS with no front fork. It takes 26 inch wheels, no disc brakes. It had a suspension fork, 1 1/8 threadless. He wants to cheaply replace the fork and a non-suspension fork is fine. Does he have to get a suspension corrected fork? Or, are there other options?
Old 08-14-15, 03:54 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Suspension corrected is the way to go, or it may potentially modify the handling in a negative fashion. There are plenty of reasonably priced suspension corrected forks available. I have a Tange steel fork I am using for a similar transformation on my 2003 Giant Sedona DX.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-14-15, 04:03 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Also, trying to figure out what the travel was on the original fork, which we don't have. Poking around. EDIT: looks like 80mm.
Old 08-14-15, 04:23 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Looking at suspension corrected forks the cheapest is the Nashbar but as near as I can tell it would be suitable to replace a fork with a 100mm of travel as it has an axle to crown distance of 453mm. Would that be close enough or just too long so problems would occur? The only 80mm one I can currently find for sale is a Salsa fork for $125. Bike isn't worth that kind of cost.
Old 08-14-15, 05:18 PM
azgreg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Surly 1x1 is a popular choice. It's available in both 80mm and 100mm travel.

Forks | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes
Old 08-14-15, 05:20 PM
goldfinch

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Apparently, the 80mm aren't in stock anywhere right now. Close to $100 when in stock.

So, the much cheaper 100mm Nashbar fork is a poor choice?
Old 08-14-15, 07:30 PM
azgreg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Apparently, the 80mm aren't in stock anywhere right now. Close to $100 when in stock.

So, the much cheaper 100mm Nashbar fork is a poor choice?
I'm sorry, but I've never used a Nashbar fork. However, I've used other Nashbar products with no issues.