Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road Bike Recommendations ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-16, 02:01 PM
gDat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So having a itch in the back of my mind to get back on my Bike so to speak (for cardio purposes) i would actually like to ride a decent bike for the first time and not a bike shaped object so upon to many hours now Googling various lists up comes under my £300 (Max) budget B'Twin Triban 500, B'Twin Triban 500 SE, Boardman Road Sport, Giant Defy 5 to name a few etc BUT upon further investigation ive discovered that i can actually pick up various legit renowned biked RRPing at £500-700 for similar money used but in excellent condition so wouldn't that be the best move do you think ? also PLEASE recommend me other models/must have accessories as off the top of my head i know im gonna need a pump,lock,lights,helmet etc best bang for buck/performance is how i mostly try to shop, anyway cheers in advance.
Old 06-30-16, 02:31 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you have not purchased a road bike before than I would suggest you go to a lbs and buy a new one. Road bikes are very different than other bikes. They come in different sizes and you have to make sure that the bike actually fits you. You can get a great deal on them. However if you do not get the proper sized bike you will have wasted your money and have a bad experience.
Old 07-02-16, 01:02 AM
gDat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can someone tell me how much would you say a Specialized Tarmac sl2 2011 in good condition cost to buy used a rough estimate thx ?
Old 07-02-16, 03:29 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Liked 3,714 Times in 1,957 Posts
2011 Specialized Tarmac SL2 Elite M2 Apex - New and Used Bike Value
2011 Specialized Tarmac SL2 Comp Compact 105 - New and Used Bike Value
specialized tarmac sl2 | eBay

depends, sort of ....
Old 07-02-16, 07:12 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by gDat
So having a itch in the back of my mind to get back on my Bike so to speak (for cardio purposes) i would actually like to ride a decent bike for the first time and not a bike shaped object so upon to many hours now Googling various lists up comes under my £300 (Max) budget B'Twin Triban 500, B'Twin Triban 500 SE, Boardman Road Sport, Giant Defy 5 to name a few etc.
Would you be buying these from the LBS? These bikes are fine entry level bikes. You'll get some years' use out of them and then probably upgrade. Get fitted properly so that your riding experience is comfortable and enjoyable; you're more likely to stick with it.

BUT upon further investigation ive discovered that i can actually pick up various legit renowned biked RRPing at £500-700 for similar money used but in excellent condition so wouldn't that be the best move do you think ? also PLEASE recommend me other models/must have accessories as off the top of my head i know im gonna need a pump,lock,lights,helmet etc best bang for buck/performance is how i mostly try to shop, anyway cheers in advance.
I am assuming that this is from a classified website like Kijiji. If you do not know anything about bikes I would discourage you from buying used. At the very least you should have someone who knows a little bit to guide you through the process.
Old 07-02-16, 08:01 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Can someone tell me how much would you say a Specialized Tarmac sl2 2011 in good condition cost to buy used a rough estimate thx ?
2011 Specialized Tarmac SL2 Elite M2 Apex - New and Used Bike Value

That website is a good way to get a ballpark value, though in my market people insist on trying to sell fairly new bikes at close to what they paid 4-5 ago. Note that that particular bike shows up with several variants, so I may not have linked to the right version. EDIT: didn't realize Maelochs had already posted that.

I'm a big fan of the value one gets buying used, but the caution voiced by others that you really need to go with an experienced bicyclist is right on if you take that approach. There are several fitting guides online that will give you a pretty good idea of what size bike is likely to work for you. You might also ask around -- I ride with several people who are new to cycling, and they all started out riding bikes that friends has gathering dust in garages. It's a good way to get some real seat time. If you can afford it, ultimately there's nothing like actually test riding a series of bikes, and then knowing you have a place to take it back to when it needs adjusting or if something breaks. So the LBS is your safest bet. If you have several shops in your area, check them all out. There's a lot of variability in the quality of bike shops, especially in their attitude towards novices.

Last edited by Kevindale; 07-02-16 at 08:04 AM. Reason: see above
Old 07-02-16, 08:10 AM
gDat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi its exactly this model and the thing is its from a guy local to me and looks like i may be able to pick it up for around £250/$330 but as you say im a newbie but NOT a stupid consumer i always try to get a lay of the land to some degree before i enter into any significant purchase, so if i do go ahead things to look out for/things to ask would be helpful to know etc. UPDATE have just rang a local bike shop who are wiling if i bring a bike to them to inspect it and see its all good and on point for me for the best price of Free.

https://www.evanscycles.com/speciali...-bike-EV136437

Last edited by gDat; 07-02-16 at 08:23 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-02-16, 11:08 AM
gDat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have just got back from my local bike shop the guy from the shop inspected this Specialized Tarmac sl2 2011 https://www.evanscycles.com/speciali...-bike-EV136437 and confirmed that its in great condition with nothing worn or showing any problems just needs a service, the seller has agreed on a price of £300/$400 which will include a helmet,cycle computer,specialized jersey,shoes all in great condition also the forks have been replaced with a carbon pair not sure at the moment of the model of these forks but the guy in the shop said they look around £200 worth of forks. So question is do i go ahead with this purchase and is it a good deal?

Last edited by gDat; 07-02-16 at 11:08 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-02-16, 11:15 AM
PepeM

Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Is it the right size? That is the single most important thing to look for when buying a bike.
Old 07-02-16, 11:25 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
As mentioned, make sure it fits you first. If it does, it sounds like a good deal, especially with the extra gear. The helmet will likely fit, and if the shoes work as is (or with an insole if they're a bit big), they'll help you get on the road immediately till you find shoes you like better. If you don't have a pump with a gauge, pick up one of those, along with some spare tubes and patch kit, a pair of shorts, and you're ready to go.
Old 07-02-16, 11:31 AM
gDat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
54cm frame size and the seller and myself are 5.10" so well check tomorrow for sure as i had to go and do other stuff.

Last edited by gDat; 07-02-16 at 11:32 AM. Reason: .
Old 07-02-16, 12:46 PM
PepeM

Doesn't really get much better than a Tarmac, so yes. I personally wouldn't wear a used helmet, but that's up to you.
Old 07-02-16, 03:22 PM
gDat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Doesn't really get much better than a Tarmac, so yes. I personally wouldn't wear a used helmet, but that's up to you.
Helmets only been worn twice was purchased quite recently apparently or i wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it honestly, i said to the guy ill sleep on it and give him my answer in the morning.
Old 07-02-16, 04:14 PM
gDat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple of questions though whatever bike i get im thinking that its not going to be particularly practical to be using the proper pedals/shoes for longer distances yes but all of the time not really as i intend to use this bike for eg (all previously done by car) a trip to my mothers who lives in a village around 7 miles away or a trip to my town to do a little grocery shop around 3 miles away all with high intensity chuck a rocksack on my back load up say 4kg shopping can only improve cardio etc so

#1 what are the community's goto standard pedals that can be used with normal trainers etc
#2 come winter it gets dark round 3pm say i finish work at 6pm so im gonna need a decent set of lights that will actually stop some bugger mowing me down so what are some renowned lights to get ?
#3 after reading i see that in the world of bike technology it trickles down to cheaper price bracket bikes so what New bikes are there that are around the same spec as this bike im looking into getting but new in 2016 how much would they cost etc ?

Last edited by gDat; 07-02-16 at 04:15 PM. Reason: .
Old 07-02-16, 04:22 PM
ltxi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#1..Shimano M324 with toe clips and straps and Shimano Saints without here. The Saints are a bit pricey but very, platform, secure.

Last edited by ltxi; 07-02-16 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-02-16, 04:27 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Couple of questions though whatever bike i get im thinking that its not going to be particularly practical to be using the proper pedals/shoes for longer distances yes but all of the time not really as i intend to use this bike for eg (all previously done by car) a trip to my mothers who lives in a village around 7 miles away or a trip to my town to do a little grocery shop around 3 miles away all with high intensity chuck a rocksack on my back load up say 4kg shopping can only improve cardio etc so

#1 what are the community's goto standard pedals that can be used with normal trainers etc
#2 come winter it gets dark round 3pm say i finish work at 6pm so im gonna need a decent set of lights that will actually stop some bugger mowing me down so what are some renowned lights to get ?
#3 after reading i see that in the world of bike technology it trickles down to cheaper price bracket bikes so what New bikes are there that are around the same spec as this bike im looking into getting but new in 2016 how much would they cost etc ?
You sure you want a road bike? Sounds like a drop bar commuter, or maybe a touring bike might be more what you need. Clearance for wider tires and fenders (or mudguards as some call them) so you can actually ride the bike in winter. Mounting points for racks so you can put a trunk bag or commuter panniers on for the occasional grocery run. A true road bike gives you none of these things and the skinny 23 or 25 mm tires will be a bit dodgy in bad weather. And, lack of mudguards will make it a messy ride when it rains.

RE: question #1. I would recommend Shimano M324. SPD on one side, decent platform pedal on the other. That way you can still use the bike for spirited fitness rides, but still use regular shoes when using the bike as transportation.
Old 07-02-16, 04:39 PM
PepeM

https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bi...c-sport/106447
Old 07-02-16, 04:51 PM
gDat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but thats abit more expensive than the bike im looking at which is 5 years old i thought the tech comes down to cheaper bikes in cheaper price bracket ranges thus giving you more bang for buck in a years newer model if you see what i mean. eg a £600 bike now 2016 has tech/similar spec to a £1200 bike from 5 years ago.
Old 07-02-16, 04:54 PM
gDat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
You sure you want a road bike? Sounds like a drop bar commuter, or maybe a touring bike might be more what you need. Clearance for wider tires and fenders (or mudguards as some call them) so you can actually ride the bike in winter. Mounting points for racks so you can put a trunk bag or commuter panniers on for the occasional grocery run. A true road bike gives you none of these things and the skinny 23 or 25 mm tires will be a bit dodgy in bad weather. And, lack of mudguards will make it a messy ride when it rains.

RE: question #1. I would recommend Shimano M324. SPD on one side, decent platform pedal on the other. That way you can still use the bike for spirited fitness rides, but still use regular shoes when using the bike as transportation.
Mate i live in the UK and believe me when i say this but it rains all of the time even throughout summer so im pretty sure those dedicated riders all up and down the country are out in this weather with similar bikes you'd Have to be to get your programming/training in correctly etc, the only thing im not to comfortable about is being caked in mud from the road without mudguards TBF. UPDATE i see that these are quite liked and work really well: https://ass-savers.com/products/ass-saver-extended https://ass-savers.com/products/rhc_fendor_bendor_slim https://ass-savers.com/products/mudder

Last edited by gDat; 07-02-16 at 06:37 PM. Reason: .
Old 07-02-16, 06:34 PM
PepeM

Those do a decent job at protecting your arse. The bottom of your trousers and shoes will still get soaked. You'll most likely at least want something like the Crud Road Racers, since you can't fit proper mudguards on a Tarmac.

As for the bike, not many carbon bikes (from major companies) much cheaper than that Specialized. Can't really compare apples-to-apples used bikes with new ones. You won't get a new bike as good as that used Tarmac nowhere near that price. I guess the closest would be this:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb...specifications

Fair to say that current Tiagra is probably as good as 2011 105.
Old 07-02-16, 06:43 PM
gDat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those Crud Road Racers look great #1 choice now put on some decent winter/all weather tyres and it should be good to go so it seems that the price/spec of £300 is legitimately a great deal then for the money im looking to spend.
Old 07-02-16, 06:54 PM
PepeM

Seems a good deal, yes. Only if the size is right though.
Old 07-02-16, 07:04 PM
gDat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Seems a good deal, yes. Only if the size is right though.
I know its more complex than this but the best way to see if the bike fits me correctly is ? so when i speak/see him tomorrow i can adjust the bike and make an assessment but surely according to the official Specialized Tarmac sizing guide 54cm is meant to fit 5.8" to 5.10" etc

Last edited by gDat; 07-02-16 at 07:42 PM. Reason: .
Old 07-04-16, 01:59 PM
gDat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AHH i cant believe it this guy has decided to bump the price up around £50/$80 at the 11th hour in negoiations then i stumble across this deal tonight whilst completely different looks like a deal Marin Muirwoods 29er 2016 Hybrid Bike £299.99